• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

To the precipice and back again......

Well guys I have a confession to make - oh yes - I was deathly close to the edge. The edge of changing cars - selling mine for another "lover". Oh I had thoughts, lusted after another, but, BUT, in the end I saw the light. Yes I saw the light after another spirited drive in my lovely sebring silver baby - I came full circle and am most happy to report this story.

So what you might ask is "he talking about" - what car could possibly draw "me" out and away from NSXdom - well as some of you may know I have had several Porsches and I still get Excellence magazine and I lust after cars and wish I could own a garrage full of them - read VERY LARGE garrage full of them - like many of us here on prime - if we only had the coin - right. Now some on Prime have a nice little stable of cars - oh yes - you know who you are- the rest of us are happy with what we have but some like me have that roving eye.

So that "roving eye" of mine started leading me astray AGAIN - just a little while ago when I saw this lovely 89 Silver Anniverssary 911 cabriolt of which only 200 were built - that's right only 200. I've been lusting after them for years and if I had had the chance to buy this particular one at the time I found my 87 Turbo Look it would most likely still be in my driveway - most likely - but who knows. Since then I've had another 911 - a 993 and then a little 07 Civic 4 door SI and now the lovely NSX. Ah yes the lovely little sebring silver darling. I saw that car the 911- and said there it is - 38k miles and for only 29k. Wow - finally a chance to get one at a reasonable price - so I started plotting and planning.

All of this happened over the last week or so and while I plotted my "madness" I consulted with a few buds of mine here on Prime and a few on the old Porsche Rennlist that I was a member of there as well. Of course my friends on Rennlist were all for it - extolling the virtues of the 911 and that somehow they new I wouldn't be happy with the NSX like I had been with Porsche, etc., etc. My friends here on Prime of course were just the opposite - actually they were sad to hear that I might be making the switch but understood somehow why a person would want to sample all kinds of sports cars and one that gave me a dose of logic - Danny - good ole Danny - what a pal - he talked to me about how I might go about selling if that's what I wanted to do but that I should expect a "ration" from my other pals here that knew nothing of my "plot".

So I talked to the owner of this beautiful car - the Silver Anniverssary- and he told me all about it and why he wanted it and that he passed on the NSX on the way to owning it but how now with his kids his wife said you need to sell it, so forth and so on. I enjoyed talking with him but there was just something in the back of my mind and then Danny told me a few things that kind of got me to thinking and my friend Jason here - he was sad about it. Oh boy, but what was it that finally woke me up - well it was 2 things.

Last Friday I drove my car to the office and had a great spirited drive and said - damn this is such a great car, what am I thinking. Then I was also talking to my buddy that owns Automobile Atlanta - another Porsche shop - so I go and visit him yesterday late afternoon and tell him that I've reconsidered as he was washing his new "clunker" MGB GT. He said I can afford 9500 for an old clunker but not 40 grand. He had mentioned another Turbo Look to me - and I said why would I want that - it's heavy and slow and the AC doesn't work worth crap...etc. He said you're right what do you want with a "clunker" when you have that nice fast NSX which is modern. It looks great - not many around. Porsches are everywhere. So I felt good about my decision to keep my car as I was telling him .

My car is all sorted, runs great, and I told him - look at my rotors George, those are the original rotors and the pads are the original pads - my car has 48k miles on it and the rotors look brand new! Brand new - no scoring - and no apparent wear what so ever - there's not a 911 out there that can bost that kind of longevity. Actually my old 911 was kind of like that but there was noticeable wear on the rotors and you have to replace them when you replace the pads - not so with the NSX. Just one more thing....one more good thing.

So I'm back from the precipice, back from the black waters of indecision that most certainly would cost me more money and rob me of performance and a car that is all I need - great handling - great acceleration - not mind blowing - not viper-esque not even new 911 esque or Vette-ish but it's just right - just like it is - naturally aspirated and almost stock.

Anyway thought you guys might enjoy my travails of late and my journey to the edge and back again. Alls well that ends well. Anyone else had a similar narrow escape?

Adios Amigos - happy trails again....:wink:

Last edited:
If you have 48K miles on the original pads and no rotor wear, you're not driving it correctly :wink:.

You know that may be true but that would mean that all the other owners didn't drive it hard either and the last one that owned my car races in SCCA - with a bug eye sprite that has rock hard brakes! It's just never been tracked. I suspect by the picture/your avatar that you might. That tends to wear em a lot faster than spirirted street driving and I brake late.

Actually in my old bimmers I had a guy riding with me that asked me - "you're pretty hard on your brakes - don't you worry about wearing them out?" I had 70k miles on my 325is and had the original rotors on it but I replaced the pads 2 times during my ownership and it had 30k miles on it when I bought it. Maybe I should be saying the same thing to you Pgilliam.....:biggrin: I'll say this I've never been criticized for driving too slow....

Tim, some enjoy the garage queen type of ownership---the "perfect car" with not even the hint of a scratch no less a dent. Some enjoy driving to the brink on a track or on the back roads of home. Then there are guys like me who just really enjoy a great ride, with nice balanced performance, with nice looks that catch attention and cause a stur wherever they go.
A Porsche is a great car but park it at a cruse event and, well, you seen one and you've seen them all. A glorified Volkswagen with the same noise, the same crappy heat & Ac, and the same maintenance issues---constantly. Guys like them but gals---hell I used to drive a bright red 57 Thunderbird with the porthole top----got to tell you, the ladies just fall all over the exotics with the look of speed and the right curves in the right places. Tim, you have chosen wisely! hehehehe

These "cars" are toys, they're not as practical as many other cars, and like all men, I like new (to me) toys, and that's why for the past 20+ years, I've leased my toys. This way every few years I could get a "new one". A little over 8 years ago, the lease was up on the NSX, couldn't quite part with it, so I extended the lease for 6 months, time came real fast and I still couldn't part with it, so I bought it. It's now the longest that I've ever kept a car, and yes, the lust struck again and last June I bought a Ford GT, yes real blasphemy, but it too was a car I had always wanted. Fortunately I didn't have to part with the NSX and so I'm truly blessed, got to have my cake and "eat it too". The NSX just does everything so well and easily, it's just "perfectly balanced". It may not be the fastest, but it's plenty fast. So many here have sold their car, and within a short time period have bought another one. As I've read story after story like that, I am trying hard not to make that mistake!!! So if you lust after another car, just be careful, there are fewer "good cars" out there, once you sell yours, it's not going to be easy to get one "just the way you want it".

Tim - thanks for sharing your story, and, thanks for not going back to "the dark side....." :biggrin: We would all miss you here!! Sure, sometimes you are "long winded", but reading your posts one can tell you are a true enthusiast. As most of us are. And your posts are good and of value.

For me, I find myself in a strange and unusual place; I'm really content - love the NSX, and the S2000. Have had lots of other cars in my life, and for once (at least for now....) I don't have the itch to get something else. Maybe I'm gettin old -- but really know down deep how really special this NSX is, and it is plenty for me.

Maybe I get the "itch" in a few years - something newer and exotic - perhaps, and that will be ok. But for now, I'm loving this NSX -- playing some golf, drinking some wine, and life is good.

Glad you came to your senses!!!! Cheers, Jay

Tim,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have a feeling this isn't the first time you've wrestled with this demon; I'm sure it won't be the last :smile:

I know many in this community feel the same way you do. However, how many posts have we seen from folks coming back to the NSX after leaving the fold?

How many of us have savored sitting in our NSX's in the garage?

How many times do you look back after you've parked it? (I know, that's another post.)

These are special cars and we are fortunate to own them.

Enjoy!

Matt

I'm honored that you emailed me about it Tim, you're a good friend and I knew I would miss you if you left. Its true, so many people who sold theirs want another one later.. and they complain about how they cant find as good a car as the one they sold.

I'm glad you are staying! And I am staying too! I may add a car later, but not giving this car up... EVER!

J

Thanks for the kind words guys and I'm glad I changed my mind before I did something I would regret. The NSX is a special car and there was no sense going backward in time to the 3.2 Carrera when I have a car that does everything much better. George and I had a real laugh about clunkers yesterday while he was washing his new clunker MGB GT. That was funny.

Jayman - you mention playing golf, drinking wine and savoring your NSX - man ain't it the truth. Finally it's gotten warm enough to get out and play some golf here in the last few weeks and now it looks like it's warming up to decent golfing weather and I'm not as rusty as I thought I'd be. Life is good guys.

Another thing too - I'd miss my family here. Prime is a great place to hang. Sorry I'm a bit long winded but hey somebody has to do it. :biggrin: Glad you guys don't mind that too much and find some value in my posts.

Drove my car to work today and since it was Presidents day the traffic was llight and I blew in! This car is really such a fine auto - we are truly lucky dudes!

So Jayman - if you ever get down Atlanta way - bring your sticks! We'll take off and play!

Thanks to you Jason for being there when I was just about to go caaarrraaazy! I know others would have tried to shake me up too if they'd known. Danny was a real pal too - the one with 2 dogs as an avatar - 05 NSX. Good guy - like so many on Prime - all a bunch of great guys.

Maybe they'll get the NSXPO down here in the south one of these days and I'll get to meet a bunch of you guys! Maybe in NJ this year.

So long for now...

Tim,

Though we haven't communicated much since you helped me purchase that '07 RL last year in Atlanta, and had the pleasure of meeting you and your wife, I have followed your many, (did I say many?) long, (did I say long?) posts on the forum. I enjoy each and every one, and each and every word. I would certainly have been disappointed to see you leave the ranks of NSX owners. But I suspect you would have probably stayed active on the forum anyway. But that said, really glad you are keeping your NSX. You did find a real jewel and it would have been a shame to have lost it.

Hey, give some thought to attending NSXPO in Philly this year. Drive up to my place in Raleigh on Wednesday and head up there Thursday morning with me. My brother in Culpeper Virginia is planning on attending and I plan on organizing a caravan up I-95 that will start in Florida and gather owners all along the way. We could have 50 NSX's rolling into NSXPO at one time from the SE by the time we get there!

Next time I am in Atlanta on business, let's get together!!!

John

Tim, point of reference---I was up in Helen, GA 2 weeks ago and was driving down the main drag right behind a new-ish Carrera S. Nobody gave the P-car a second look but they were all gawking at the NSX, even the bikers. You made the right decision.

Tim,

Though we haven't communicated much since you helped me purchase that '07 RL last year in Atlanta, and had the pleasure of meeting you and your wife, I have followed your many, (did I say many?) long, (did I say long?) posts on the forum. I enjoy each and every one, and each and every word. I would certainly have been disappointed to see you leave the ranks of NSX owners. But I suspect you would have probably stayed active on the forum anyway. But that said, really glad you are keeping your NSX. You did find a real jewel and it would have been a shame to have lost it.

Hey, give some thought to attending NSXPO in Philly this year. Drive up to my place in Raleigh on Wednesday and head up there Thursday morning with me. My brother in Culpeper Virginia is planning on attending and I plan on organizing a caravan up I-95 that will start in Florida and gather owners all along the way. We could have 50 NSX's rolling into NSXPO at one time from the SE by the time we get there!

Next time I am in Atlanta on business, let's get together!!!

John

Hey John,

Good to hear from you and I'll try and keep this fairly short....:biggrin: I am so glad that you don't mind my LOOOONG and super frequent posts and actually find them enjoyable. That's nice to hear and you are right - I would have stayed on the forum no matter what I was driving but it wouldn't have seemed as right as it does when owning an NSX. I just wish I had the bucks for many cars and a place to put them. I may actually work on that with a lift in the garrage/carport for double teiring.

So when is NSXPO this year? I have already made so many vacation plans and now I am going to host my friend from South Africa when Masters week rolls around. I'll have to take that off too. That makes 3 weeks + that I am already scheduled to take off. Whew - never been so busy so early ever in my life. But hey that's what vacation time is for - right. I have it so why not use it. I get to stockpile mine unlike some others. Let me know- heck you know I told myself this morning I would join the NSXCA. So I'll check on it.

Thanks for the invite John, that would be fun!

Tim, NSXPO 2011 is scheduled in September - Sept 22 (Thursday). That means you would need to schedule Wednesday the 21st to drive up to Raleigh and I am planning on driving back on Sunday the 25th. You would probably have to allow Monday the 26th for your drive back to Atlanta (unless you are a real glutton for punishment and want to drive straight through - Philly to Atlanta. I am assuming you would not plan on staying for the track day events (Monday/Tuesday- the 26th/27th)? Hope you can make it. Thinking that 2012 would be back on the west coast or central states, so this might be the nearest opportunity to attend NSXPO for some time.

Good to hear from you.
John

Tim, think again---the old Acura is starting to go downhill. Things like brakes hydrolics, clutch, suspension rubber are all getting old. The leather seats are drying out and the door glass lifts and radio amps are always an issue. Then there's the lack of a sizeable trunk for golf clubs or fishing equipment etc. No tow hitch, roof rack, back seats for grand kids, etc. Real impracticable. MANY of the newer cars are as fast or faster. Hell you could sell your old rice rocket and buy a NEW faster Mustang with no money outlay. As you get older--getting in and out can be a stretch---. Then there's the issue of parts availability and competent service reps--they are getting old in tooth too. Time to let her go and get something with newer technology and all new parts. Want to sell ?
I bought my nsx in Dec, picked it up in Jan and have already put over $5,000. into it ---and it's a 92'---hello. Replaced the original dual plate clutch yesterday with 115,000 miles. It's a money pit.
I spent Monday trying to decide if I wanted to buy a 1991 BMW 850 V12 with 6sped for $3500. complete~~~~~. I decided to let the guy part it out!! Had I not bought the NSX, I would have definitely jumped on the 850~~~. I'm getting old and am "project" overwhelmed. :frown:

Tim, think again---the old Acura is starting to go downhill. Things like brakes hydrolics, clutch, suspension rubber are all getting old. The leather seats are drying out and the door glass lifts and radio amps are always an issue. Then there's the lack of a sizeable trunk for golf clubs or fishing equipment etc. No tow hitch, roof rack, back seats for grand kids, etc. Real impracticable. MANY of the newer cars are as fast or faster. Hell you could sell your old rice rocket and buy a NEW faster Mustang with no money outlay. As you get older--getting in and out can be a stretch---. Then there's the issue of parts availability and competent service reps--they are getting old in tooth too. Time to let her go and get something with newer technology and all new parts. Want to sell ?
I bought my nsx in Dec, picked it up in Jan and have already put over $5,000. into it ---and it's a 92'---hello. Replaced the original dual plate clutch yesterday with 115,000 miles. It's a money pit.

I spent Monday trying to decide if I wanted to buy a 1991 BMW 850 V12 with 6sped for $3500. complete~~~~~. I decided to let the guy part it out!! Had I not bought the NSX, I would have definitely jumped on the 850~~~. I'm getting old and am "project" overwhelmed. :frown:

Huck, I know you are totally tounge in cheek with this post...:smile: But you do make some good points. I will say this - if you think your NSX is a money pit - you ain't seen nuttin yet if you buy that 850......although I love the 850 too. Just like I love the 635is - they can surely be a money pit. I've got a buddy - Wick on Prime - that has some cool cars - nice bimmer 2002 - I love that car too. Man I just love cars and there are at least 5 on my want/wish list. 88 M5 - another one - the 88 M3 - yeah and the list goes on and on. I also would love a 2009 911 Targa 4S as long as I'm at it. Just think - our NSX tires are cheap compared to the ones on the 09 911 - they're about 400 a piece for the rears - yowsah!

I believe after all I've spent on my car - I'll just keep it cause it's running jes right now. But as time goes on i'll have issues again I'm sure. You know that's the trouble with toys - unless you can afford brand new - then you will have issues. I wish I could afford a brand new 911 Turbo - yep - the list just goes on and on - as well as a 73 911S - oh boy - I'm a Leno wanna be. Like most of us gear heads. But for now I'm content.

I would like to trade my wife's 07 RL for a 2011 Mustang GT - premium package convertible......:biggrin:

Tim, I'm glad you didn't make the change. What would have happened is you got your Porsche, enjoyed it for a while and then got bored. At that point, you'd start missing the NSX, trolling Prime all the time reading about other peoples' NSXs and then you would buy another one, except it won't be in as good shape as your 91 is now and you'll have to spend another $5k just to get it right again. Plus, by that time NSX prices will have been creeping up and it will probably be more expensive just to get the car. All of that to get you back to where you are right now. :D Keep your 91 dude. ;) If you really get the itch for change, do a 02+ conversion and/or throw in some short gears or a 6 speed. Less money than a new car and they will make your NSX feel all new again.

Tim, definitely tongue in cheek---! I really am enjoying the NSX but like every toy,--- I get it, fix it, and tend to get bored over time and then there's that grass greener on the other side of the fence crap!! Last year at this time I had 4--BMW E30 Converts--and they are a super car that are so underpriced it's unbelieveable. Drive that little 325ic with 5speed and it too, is hard to let go. The key for me is quantity--just how many toys are manageable? I have 25 Honda Trail 70's, 6 Honda Mini Trail Z50's, 2 BMW converts, and a Lionel toy Train collection that I am selling off to fund the remaining NSX tweeks. Still have door "thingy's" to do, Sub woofer amp to get rebuilt, hatch and trunk lifts to replace, and a radio to upgrade to CD~~. Then, maybe, I will be where I want to be with the NSX---Maybe!! Perhaps we need to all get together (locally) for a little fun without having to drive cross country to do it. That can be a real boost to ownership satisfaction as long as we don't compare garage queens and daily drivers! hehehehe:tongue:

Tim, definitely tongue in cheek---! I really am enjoying the NSX but like every toy,--- I get it, fix it, and tend to get bored over time and then there's that grass greener on the other side of the fence crap!! Last year at this time I had 4--BMW E30 Converts--and they are a super car that are so underpriced it's unbelieveable. Drive that little 325ic with 5speed and it too, is hard to let go. The key for me is quantity--just how many toys are manageable? I have 25 Honda Trail 70's, 6 Honda Mini Trail Z50's, 2 BMW converts, and a Lionel toy Train collection that I am selling off to fund the remaining NSX tweeks. Still have door "thingy's" to do, Sub woofer amp to get rebuilt, hatch and trunk lifts to replace, and a radio to upgrade to CD~~. Then, maybe, I will be where I want to be with the NSX---Maybe!! Perhaps we need to all get together (locally) for a little fun without having to drive cross country to do it. That can be a real boost to ownership satisfaction as long as we don't compare garage queens and daily drivers! hehehehe:tongue:

Well you're not far away Huck. Now Honcho - heck now he's out in CO. We're definitely spread out all over the place. Just talked with CaptJman - he's up in Chicago but he's a flyer and may come down to Atlanta soon so we'll get a chance to hook up.

So Paul - to your post - you are so right with your quick analysis - that is exactly what would happen - but you left out one thing - the part where I drop at least 2k in the 911 before i get tired of it. The other part is right. I've got the Swifts and Bilstiens and new tires to put on - that will make it all new again. I'm going to try and limit my investment in the NSX but I would really like to mess with the stereo and console - but I'm trying like hell to resist that. I mean I don't really listen to the radio much so it most likely doesn't matter. The engine sounds are better!

Thanks to all for the support - I do appreciate it. So how many of you will be going to NSXPO?

Back