• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

top speed

Big_D said:
BTW, Is it really necessary to list the cars we own in our signatures?

Yes, I did it specifically because many times you are talking about an issue, and you want the person to know what year your car is. Many times I read a post and the guy is saying something about his NSX, and I always wonder what year the car is and if it is relavent to me. Its really too bad everyone's car is not listed with their avatar, I think it would be helpful.

As far as listing what you owned and what you sold and what is not your NSX, no I don't see the necessity of that at all.

Big_D said:
BTW, Is it really necessary to list the cars we own in our signatures?
I really don't see a problem with it and wouldn't even think to question it. I think some people might be interested in seeing what other cars, other than the NSX, you currently own or have owned in the past. It could potentially bring people together with similar automotive interests. I guess I could see this coming off as a bit pretentious on a cooking forum, but this is a car forum - it just makes sense to me.

Greg Z said:
I hit 160mph a couple times a month just for giggles on a 2 lane HWY in my 928, don't see the big deal personally. I've done 190-195 mph multiple times on my Hayabusa that I used to have. Scariest time ever was when me and my friend switched, I was on his Gixer 1000 going 186mph at 1am in the pouring rain and my face shield ripped off. WOW! Sorry for going off-topic.

186 on a bike in pouring rain:eek:

scorp965 said:
Manbearpig1.jpg

Yes! It's Manbearpig!

TURBO2GO said:
Thats the answer I was looking for gerard. Thanks.

So you ran out of gear... and had power to go past 186 had you had more gear. Which to me says that an 02+ car with a supercharger, which is more aerodynamic and has a longer top gear may be able to go past that even... 190MPH or so... possibly higher. That's what I was trying to find out.

God knows I will never try that myself... you really have to have your balls strapped on TIGHT to do 190 MPH anywhere.

I would do it in a heartbeat.... given a road to myself. Would have no resistance whatsoever. In my dumber days, I enjoyed peaking at 162 but now realize it was pretty foolish. However, it has always been a fantasy of mine to drive 200+ before I die. It'll happen... :biggrin:

....legally, of course :wink:

redshift said:
I really don't see a problem with it and wouldn't even think to question it. I think some people might be interested in seeing what other cars, other than the NSX, you currently own or have owned in the past. It could potentially bring people together with similar automotive interests. I guess I could see this coming off as a bit pretentious on a cooking forum, but this is a car forum - it just makes sense to me.
TURBO2GO said:
Yes, I did it specifically because many times you are talking about an issue, and you want the person to know what year your car is. Many times I read a post and the guy is saying something about his NSX, and I always wonder what year the car is and if it is relavent to me. Its really too bad everyone's car is not listed with their avatar, I think it would be helpful.

completely agree :biggrin:

MiamiMermaid said:

However, it has always been a fantasy of mine to drive 200+ before I die. It'll happen... :biggrin:

Same incentive for me. :tongue::D

redshift said:

I suppose this is a valid point. Maybe I should list mine too...There might be someone with a Toyota Camry out there that wants to talk shop. :wink:

'91 Berlina on Black (B&B Exh, 17/18 Volk GT-Cs)
'94 Toyota Camry LE (H/R springs, KYBs 17's)
'03 Toyota Camry SE (Wifes Car)
'01 GMC Yukon XL - 20" MKWs (SOLD) Yada Yada Yada

:wink: :biggrin:

Big_D said:
I suppose this is a valid point. Maybe I should list mine too...There might be someone with a Toyota Camry out there that wants to talk shop. :wink:

'91 Berlina on Black (B&B Exh, 17/18 Volk GT-Cs)
'94 Toyota Camry LE (H/R springs, KYBs 17's)
'03 Toyota Camry SE (Wifes Car)
'01 GMC Yukon XL - 20" MKWs (SOLD) Yada Yada Yada
LOL :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I had a '96 Camry. :)

Sure Mermi if the road is closed, the conditions are safe, and the car is done right to run 200MPH, I would do it in a heartbeat too. But I am not for doing that on the highway or the even the autobahn, I fear other drivers and I like my life (and theirs). Gerard doing that is enough for me but if the conditions are right, I will do 2 MPH faster than whatever it is you are doing so I can wave goodbye... :)

MiamiMermaid said:

I would do it in a heartbeat.... given a road to myself. Would have no resistance whatsoever. In my dumber days, I enjoyed peaking at 162 but now realize it was pretty foolish. However, it has always been a fantasy of mine to drive 200+ before I die. It'll happen... :biggrin:

http://www.putfile.com/moonmuffin
I was fortunate enough to own a Hennessey Viper 850R for a very short time. It had about 35K in mods to become a 650R then was brought back for another 35K in mods to become an 850R by name but had 815hp to the wheels with all mods. 200+ was a breeze. I posted a link to a short clip taken from the passenger seat of an 95 Supra with a single turbo putting down 525hp to the wheels. I am on the top of 2nd gear when we punch it, I pull from him instantly and trust me his car is no slouch!
I was at about 180mph at the top of the overpass when the hood latch on the right side popped loose, then I shut it down.

Last edited:
Scot said:
i hit an indicated 160mph in my 05 on the "wade" bridge on I81 just north of Harrisburg. I was heading east which is slightly downhill, but my car seemed to not want to go any faster once I hit 160mph. Like someone else, it sounded like my windows were going to get sucked out.

My S2000 actually hit an indicated 162mph on this same exact spot....

S2000> NSX. :biggrin: :eek:

that would be amazing since s2k's are drag limited to 15-7. i have had mine up to 148 about 700 from the top of 5th. i am sure you know that the s2k also reaches its top speed in 5th gear, making anything over 158 or so impossible.

AP1-NA1 said:
that would be amazing since s2k's are drag limited to 15-7. i have had mine up to 148 about 700 from the top of 5th. i am sure you know that the s2k also reaches its top speed in 5th gear, making anything over 158 or so impossible.
I was in a friends S2000 a few months back racing him in his also 06 Mustang GT conv. auto and I was pulling him slightly up untill abouit 140mph when I started walking him good. I hit 157 or 158.

MiamiMermaid said:

However, it has always been a fantasy of mine to drive 200+ before I die. It'll happen... :biggrin:

i've done it with my NSX....guess i've done your fantasy.... :p:p:p

PS - if you ever come to Portugal...you can do it to ;) just tell me ;)

TURBO2GO said:
Sure Mermi if the road is closed, the conditions are safe, and the car is done right to run 200MPH, I would do it in a heartbeat too. But I am not for doing that on the highway or the even the autobahn, I fear other drivers and I like my life (and theirs).

hear ya on that!
TURBO2GO said:
but if the conditions are right, I will do 2 MPH faster than whatever it is you are doing so I can wave goodbye... :)

hehe , you can try but not sure if that's possible ;) ... i'm a bit competitive with my driving (given the proper conditions, of course) :tongue: :biggrin:

Last edited:
UnhuZ said:
i've done it with my NSX....guess i've done your fantasy.... :p:p:p

PS - if you ever come to Portugal...you can do it to ;) just tell me ;)

Got my ticket.... on my way .... :tongue: :biggrin:

Last Saturday I went to the shop that repaired my car.
On my way back I took a different road which lead to the start of a not much used highway about 30 miles from home. This is literally the start of a highway and for the first 3-4 miles there are no on- or off-ramps. So, simply put, the only traffic on that strecht of highway will be the few cars in front or behind you at the traffic light. In this case, two cars and one motorbike. Weather is nice, sky is clear, road is dry, excellent visibility for miles.
We come upon the road. I immediately take the left lane and pull away. Car sounds beautiful. The BMW and bike behind me. The NSX revs and growls it way up. At around 285 kph (177 mph) I still have not reached top speed but I am coming up on other traffic and I let off. So, my new found topspeed is still unknown...
Funny is, 15 miles onward there is road work going on, only a single lane available so there is a traffic jam. Standing still, the bike comes up, passing all the cars. When they see me, the guy first give me a thumbs up and a big grin :). A little further he stops and when I come up on him he says, "He, you really made my day today. That was really good to see. Your car really sounds great." I thank him and then we both continue on our journey.

I went to Germany yesterday and hit 275 km/h (170 mph). Considering the traffic, I did not manage to do better even if it would have been possible with a very (very) long straight. I don't know about the accurancy of my speedometer. I just know that it indicates the right speed at 100 km/h. As my tires are almost worn, I had a lot of vibrations over 250 km/h.

I have DC headers, testpipes, Comptech exhaust, Downforce intake scoop, 215/40 R 17 fronts, 255/40 R 17 rears on 5-Zigen FN-01c wheels.

Does anyone know what the top end is for automatic? I have a 95 auto, which I know is the slowest NSX ever made. I could drive the car flat out to find out for myself, but I already got a speeding thicket in January and I don't need another one!

Thanks

In southern Germany this morning, I managed to get my NSX up to 299.3 km/h (186.0 mph).

After rounding a bend on the Autobahn, I saw a long straight in front of me so I floored it. In the middle of the straight I caught up with another car and slowed a little while overtaking. Once safely past, I floored it again and kept it floored until I needed to brake for another bend. By the end of the straight, I had gotten up to 299 km/h. The car was barely accelerating anymore, but if the straight would have been longer, if I hadn't slowed while overtaking that car, if it would have been cooler out (OK, enough excuses), the GPS would probably have shown just a bit over 300 km/h. Maybe another day.

I was in fifth gear and at that speed, the tachometer was pretty much at 8000 rpm, similar to where it was when this picture was taken. There was no whistling from the windows, there were no vibrations, and the car felt very stable (the absense of wind doubtlessly helped here).

My car has a complete front undertray, which is the same size as that on a 2002 NSX-R, don't have a vented hood, and the coolant temperature gauge never budged from its usual position just below the halfway mark. Driving through city traffic on a hot day, the coolant temperature never changes, either. Maybe you would need a vented hood if the engine is running at full load a lot but you're not going fast enough to get decent airflow. Maybe this could happen on tight tracks. However, in city driving and on the Autobahn, you don't seem to need a vented hood even if you have a full front undertray.

For the record, I timed my car using my Palm Pilot, a bluetooth GPS receiver, and Cetus GPS software.

Attachments

• kmh.jpg
    kmh.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 60
  • mph.jpg
    mph.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 62
Does anyone know what the top end is for automatic? I have a 95 auto, which I know is the slowest NSX ever made. I could drive the car flat out to find out for myself, but I already got a speeding thicket in January and I don't need another one!

Thanks

I did 280km/h last Sunday while tailing a 996tt. :tongue: I believe my car could go another 20km/h.

In southern Germany this morning, I managed to get my NSX up to 299.3 km/h (186.0 mph).

My car has a complete front undertray, which is the same size as that on a 2002 NSX-R, don't have a vented hood, and the coolant temperature gauge never budged from its usual position just below the halfway mark. Driving through city traffic on a hot day, the coolant temperature never changes, either. Maybe you would need a vented hood if the engine is running at full load a lot but you're not going fast enough to get decent airflow. Maybe this could happen on tight tracks. However, in city driving and on the Autobahn, you don't seem to need a vented hood even if you have a full front undertray.

For the record, I timed my car using my Palm Pilot, a bluetooth GPS receiver, and Cetus GPS software.

Wow, fantastic figures.
I would very much like to know more about your homemade front undercover.
What did you make it from.
Also, do you have some more information about your engine output. I read that you had the camshafts done.
If possible, post some pictures.

Back