• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Turbo kits

I don't understand how come everyone still uses the T3/T4 turbo or the T04R turbos. There are a lot more options out there, like say a GT35R or GT3540 or even a GT40R. Is there just something i'm missing as to why companies aren't using these kinds of turbos. I mean there are a lot of benefits such as dual ballbearing and being oil and watercooled...things like that. But can someone help me understand why this hasn't been thought of?

I don't know the answer, but I can tell you my T3/T4 has an oil supply and return which is being used. Is this only for lube and not for cooling? I don't know much about the varieties of turbos out there, I am curious to learn the answer(s) as well.

up to this point, just about every turbo nsx has a custom fabricated kit. for this reason, the turbo selection is really up to the customer and the fabricator. i'm sure we will be seeing more gt-series turbo'd nsx's in the near future... once people catch on to their availability and realize the benefits of going with a dual ball bearing turbo... and can justify the extra $1000.
regarding water cooled turbos and the need for them... i have one word for you. porsche. think about it... you'll figure it out.

You have a good point. The water cooled turbos would not need a cool down timer and I know the NSX does not need any more heat added to the oil system and a oil cooler must be added . If my Aerodyne's give up, I will consider a single water cooled. Dan

vmsturbo said:
I don't understand how come everyone still uses the T3/T4 turbo or the T04R turbos. There are a lot more options out there, like say a GT35R or GT3540 or even a GT40R. Is there just something i'm missing as to why companies aren't using these kinds of turbos. I mean there are a lot of benefits such as dual ballbearing and being oil and watercooled...things like that. But can someone help me understand why this hasn't been thought of?

We choose to run our custom spec T3/T4 turbo due to the bang for the buck and serviceability. Ball bearing (bb) turbos are much more expensive, especially the gt series like The HKS ones you mentioned. Generally speaking, a properly tuned conventional bearing turbo is only a few hundred rpm slower in spooling. In addition, some bb turbo center cartridges are not serviceable. For those individuals that are not on a budget and want everything they can get out of the system then single/dual bb turbos are the way to go. We are running custom made twin dual bb turbos on our project car.

In regards to water cooling, in higher hp situations the heat transfer to the OEM cooling system is greatly surpassed by the heat created in the turbine housing. For example, have you ever seen a pic of a glowing turbo? Can your radiator handle the kind of heat the turbo is producing in addition to that of the engine?

Any news on when your kit will be finished? Just from pricing around it seemed BB turbos were only around $200-500 more than regular turbos. Spool up times seemed to be about 300 rpms sooner. By no means am I an expert on turbos. What has your experience been?

Price all depends on the specifics of the turbo. You can get some pretty generic sized non bb turbos for pretty cheap now a days. If you have specific wheels and housing sizes you want the price can go up. Ball bearing turbos are generally a lot more money than a good priced non ball bearing garret. Ball bearing turbos are more durable over time. Initial spoolup isn't drastically better, although between gears is a lot better. Mo - Elite.

Yea, i do have to admit getting a t3/t4 is cheaper, but hey. We have performance cars here, we should go for nothing but the best ya know?

vmsturbo said:
Yea, i do have to admit getting a t3/t4 is cheaper, but hey. We have performance cars here, we should go for nothing but the best ya know?

Which is why Corky Bell used the Aerodynes. Beside precision bearings they are self-oiled (no lines to/from the engine or extra oil coolers) and have variable pitch turbine vanes. Very expensive, but they spool up much faster than any other turbo and make for a clean very clean installation.

Back