• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Turbo Motor Dyno Run

that's a great idea. Maybe if it's not taking too much time of yours, u can do it about the same time as the Lone Star National, so we can see his competition as well. would like to see him spank some of the supra guys for once
smile.gif

Originally posted by scottjua:
Hands down one of the fastest cars I've ever been in!!!

Thanks, Scott, but keep in mind you rode in it with a brand new clutch, so I had to take it easy. ; )

As for the cost, I think if you planned it out carefully, you cold do it for $20-$25K for the engine work including the whole turbo system. Any drivetrain or brake upgrades would be on top of that.

Also, on my way home from Dallas to Austin, I got just over 20mpg at 80 mph (with several blasts to 120).

[This message has been edited by David (edited 08 March 2001).]

what about just taking a stock nsx and adding a turbo system and whatever needed to make it damn fast....is aftermarket headers and exhaust necessary?

Originally posted by sonik:
what about just taking a stock nsx and adding a turbo system and whatever needed to make it damn fast....is aftermarket headers and exhaust necessary?

Not at all. The Bell TT kit includes a complete Borla cat-back exhaust system (as well as a dual K&N intake system). Headers won't make much difference on the Bell setup, particularly if you're running through the stock cats.

As for people freaking out over the cost to have a 500+ hp Turbo NSX.. *Much of that cost has nothing to do with being turbo!*

If you are going to put 500hp out of *ANY* NSX (Turbo, SC, Nitrous, etc) you will have to do engine work, as people have posted in the past, the NSX engine is reliable to about the 425 - 450hp mark.

Also, any 500+ hp NSX (Turbo, SC, Nitrous, etc) will almost have to have a standalone fuel/timing system ($1750+?).

If you figure $6k (Comptech) for all the engine work not including installation/re-installation of the engine.. Add on the engine management (fuel/timing).. And then throw in labor for the engine + tuning the standalone.. I bet you are talking about $10K+ right there, no matter what solution you go with to get 500hp out of your NSX.

So really, the cost of the turbo system that would get you the 500hp isn't much more than $10K. It's the supporting mods that add up.

For those who might be willing to go for the supporting mods, but don't like the idea of having to go to Texas for David's system, or otherwise having a turbo setup custom made, I have good news for you.

A guy in Northern California had a stock Bell TT kit on his NSX. He added the supporting mods described above (strengthened the engine, added stand-alone fuel), and the ONLY other change he then made was to swap the Bell Aerodyne turbos with larger Aerodyne units. The larger units support 14psi.

Utilizing the stock Bell kit's plumbing, intercoolers, etc, he got:

500hp to the wheels.
smile.gif
Nice to know there's an upgrade path to insane power for those who go with the Bell TT kit.

Marc

[This message has been edited by SpeedDemon (edited 08 March 2001).]

[ would like to see him spank some of the supra guys for once
smile.gif
[/B][/QUOTE]

Guys, don't get carry away now. I know all the high HP supra guys in TX. Noel at 730 rwhp (stock internals, no cam), Bryce @ 872 rwhp (more hp coming, his car puts out 600 rwhp minimum due to racing wastegate @ 18 psi), Jarrett 800+ rwhp and many more. Also the Vette has SW in Austin. 500 rwhp is alot for a NSX and can be achieved via the internal engine mods which most of us would like to have but can't afford it or don't want to put out that much money. I am sure David can turn up the boost on racing gas later to get 600 rwhp. Even though I own a NSX, I would believe the heavily modified Supra will beat a heavily modified NSX in a straight line contest.

The NSX offers the total package and David has that due to his upgrade on brakes, body kit to fit bigger wheels for traction, etc.

I have to agree that there are certainly faster cars out there...but most of those won't turn for crap compared to the NSX. The Supras may make tons of power...and win drag races against ALMOST anything...but David's car is streetable and will probably out handle a Supra given a real track. But I don't need to tell you guys this...
smile.gif

then again it's all a matter of preference. The Supra guys won't let you get away with saying that hp to hp the NSX would be a better car...as they shouldn't. And it really comes down to how well you can drive your car. I've never been a huge fan of drag racing mainly because the more power you have, obviously, the better you will do. I like seeing kids who are great drivers, pilot a civic hatch around a track and pull in better times than the Vette and Porsche guys. However that phenomenon is rare... it does happen.

Back to David's car...I'd be happy to do a video on him and his car for my site. In fact we already briefly discussed it. It would be a full deal...photos...story...video... And I think the hills in Austin would make a great backdrop. You Austin guys should know the roads better than I would...you tell me. Any suggestions? I'd really like to make somehting a bit more planned out than the videos I've done already.

------------------
Got dat ol' vee six cilnder inder?

http://www.nextestdrive.net

Roads?

For a warm up head to 2222. Then try Limecreek Road, twisty as hell. For long straight aways, with beautiful scenery, head a little futher south to the buda area. Lots of tree lined flat roads down by the Salt Lick (and good B-B-Q too!)

------------------
Brian
Austin,TX
95 NSX-T Black/Black

Sounds good so far...is there enough room to do some good video or are those roads pretty well traveled?

I've been out to the Salt-lick once...and that's WAY the F out there...atleast it seemed that way. But hopefully I can get some new camera mounts...or something...We'll see I guess. Either way it shoudl be lots of fun.

I just watched the viedo and I can say is..WOW! The care looks great, and the engine sounds awesome.

Bryce Dana's Supra has yet to be proven. So far I heard he is a dyno queen.

Bryce doesn't want to break parts to prove a point. His best time over a year ago is 11.3@ 130+ and he let off. Nobody is going to make 800 rwhp and no break parts if he or she drag races. Bryce's car doesn't break much because he doesn't stress it (launching the car).

I seen he race a Hennessey Venom 650 on the street (from a roll of course). I guarantee you no NSX would want to mess with this Viper and Bryce put him out. Started in 3rd gear and spun the drag radials.

David's car would be very awesome at Texas World speedway 2.9 course as it is a ridiculous fast track so he can use that power (I would think he can get up to 150's).

Originally posted by Khuang:

Bryce doesn't want to break parts to prove a point. His best time over a year ago is 11.3@ 130+ and he let off. Nobody is going to make 800 rwhp and no break parts if he or she drag races. Bryce's car doesn't break much because he doesn't stress it (launching the car).

I thought Supras are pretty much bulletproof.
Bryce been challenged by Saad (AZ) few times and has yet to see the run. So far the fastest Supra I know of is Saad's with about 1000HP in full street trim and running 10's

Like I said. There are a lot faster cars than David's. But his car will be very competitive in this class. I would think that David's car should be able to break into 10's with the better weight distribution than Supra.

Hey guys there will always be a faster car. But David has taken NSX modding to a new level and a new extreme. We should congratulate him and encourage others to continue to push the performance envelop. I think its to soon to start saying this is faster or that is faster because we don't know what his car can really do. But I'm sure he's not done building and testing his new setup. I'm sure in time we'll see 700 HP NSX's too, I hope so anyways.
smile.gif
So I say again congrats David and I look forward to seeing your times at the track.

[This message has been edited by PUREVIL (edited 10 March 2001).]

Hey David, did you happen to also modify the drivetrain and axles on the car? I was told by various people with extensive experience with the NSX that the stock axle can only withstand 425-450hp.

Originally posted by 19inchNSX:
Hey David, did you happen to also modify the drivetrain and axles on the car? I was told by various people with extensive experience with the NSX that the stock axle can only withstand 425-450hp.

I have no diffinitive information on the half shafts for this car. I have heard opinions all over the place, so I just decided to leave them stock for now and see it they work. If they bend or break, I will get billet or hardend replacements.

As for the rest of the drive train, I had to get a completely custom clutch fabricated because, as of now, there is no aftermarket clutch that will handle six hundred plus horsepower. It is a dual disc kevlar unit.

I also have the short gears, the billet 4.55:1 ring and pinion, and an aluminum flywheel and I rebuilt the diff. to the Type R specs.

It will be interesting to see what it does in the quarter mile, as the car is set up for road courses and I think traction is going to be the limiting issue. I will probably take it easy on the launch as I really don't want to spend any more $ in the near future. I have bought a set of BFG drag radials, so that should help a bit.

Austin has a very performance-oriented import scene, so there are a handful of Supras that I know will beat me easily in the 1/4, but anything less than a BPU is fair game I think. The import scene here is a little different than what I experienced living on the West Coast in that it is all about go and nothing about show. You rarely see the big wing, Kanji script covered, huge front spoiler type cars. If it doesn't haul ass, its just a posuer and is subject to ridicule in classic 'eat my dust' fashion.

Originally posted by sonik:
Speeddemon......

What is the cost on this kit? I live in utah and wouldnt mind taking my nsx to california and leaving it to get this kit put on..

A new kit is probably around $9500. You'd want to buy the kit minus the fuel system for around $8500, and then spend $1000-2000 or so on a non-Bell fuel/timing setup. ($1k-2K depending on your goals & budget).

I put around $1200 into having a more advanced & tunable fuel control system as well as having a stand-alone adjustable timing computer so I can dial in some timing retard. Half of the $1200 was the Greddy Rebec 4 fuel controller.

Drop me a line in about 5 weeks, I should have my kit installed by then & can give you impressions, tips, & final costs. I plan to put up a web page listing all the parts I bought & how everything worked so others can benefit.

Marc

I put out about 450hp to the wheels. Tons of nitrous torque, and power thrown in WAAAAY low in the RPMS. Jumps off the line when the clutch doesn't slip. David's right. There isn't any clutch that can handle that much horsepower comercially.. There are MANY other company's though that can make them. There are 6 disc clutch's out there for the NSX and ACT makes a triple dic that I heard was pretty radical. (2300 bucks) I now have the centerforce. Just a LITTLE better than stock.. That's about it.

I Just got 2nd in the the hOuston nopi's this February. My Bottle pressure died hard. I had a 5 car lead on him. My mph went slower by 6. Really sucked. I only ended up with an 11.9 sec 1/4 mile.

My stage II is up and running (Included in that 450hp number) I should run faster. I'm currently running a suspension set up for autocross. So hook up is in question. I think I've got the starts figured out though.

I look forward to seeing you in River city Raceway park next weekend. It will be interesting. I suggest turning up the boost.

Please get them worked out.. I think there needs to be more of us out there!. I would LOVE a ride in your car. My ultimate ending will be 26psi of boost. A little nos down low for spool up. (Just for fun) Come out anyway if you don't get it all working.. I'd like to know what kind of engine management you went with and why.

See you then.. Hopefully.

Stock gears, stock everything - custom intake made by me and a couple of Borla mufflers welded in line. Lots of NOS.. Custom Crappy clutch.. Still goes fast. Falling apart at the same time. I'm fixing everything soon though (Dented fender un-painted spoiler)

Originally posted by achlouber:
I put out about 450hp to the wheels. Tons of nitrous torque, and power thrown in WAAAAY low in the RPMS.

Looks like you have the highest HP NSX on NOS. According to http://www.nsxfiles.com chapter 60, you can get on his website since you out dyno Randy's car tuned by Larry. Check out the quote:

3. Randy N's NOS Powered NSX - Will very soon after the next dyno run will be claiming the highest horsepower of any street legal NOS powered NSX, and potentially the fastest streetable NSX in the quarter mile. Yes, with the direct port injected NOS, Randy's car feel faster in acceleration than my car or Alex's car. (December 29th Update: Randy's car is dynoed at the SHO Shop in Huntington Beach, and after being tuned by Larry with various jets/fuel pressure, it puts out 380 HP, and 303 ft lbs of torque!)

Back