• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Type S Suspension Thoughts

Update:

Heard back from both vendors (Prime sponsors) the Type S suspension is now only available if you build it by individual part # which tends to drove up cost. The parts are extremely limited. FWIW you can buy the KWV3 suspension for the same price & it comes with a lifetime warranty.

I have heard the same, but can you really blame Honda? The Type-S model was discontinued a decade ago. And, they only made a few hundred of them ... ever. The KW is simply a better unit in every category than the Type-S. Type-S only makes sense if you are obsessed with OEM and don't care about a harsh ride. IMHO, buy the KWV3 and drive happy for years to come. Forget about me and Regan and our JRZ nonsense. :D

Honcho would you recommend the Type R front sway bar and front bracing to go with the KW V3? Any NSX Prime vendors got any killer deals on the KW V3 or Type R Swaybar/bushings and Type R front bracing? PM me. Thanks.

Last edited:
My view is the Type R stuff is designed to work with the NSX-R suspension and aero. Instead, I would get a set of Comptech or Dali sways and run those with the KW. I have the old CT sways (19mm front and rear) and love them.

My view is the Type R stuff is designed to work with the NSX-R suspension and aero. Instead, I would get a set of Comptech or Dali sways and run those with the KW. I have the old CT sways (19mm front and rear) and love them.
FWIW SOS has removed all the Type S & Type R suspension info from their site. Looks like Bilstein or KW V3 is the way to go now.

NSX-R is discontinued and Type-S is limited to no availability- they're basically selling off whatever stock is left on the shelf. Agree with the Bils or KW. I have to say the JRZ RS is looking mighty nice too...

NSX-R is discontinued and Type-S is limited to no availability- they're basically selling off whatever stock is left on the shelf. Agree with the Bils or KW. I have to say the JRZ RS is looking mighty nice too...
The JRZ RS are pricey.

Based on this info.

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Suspension

Would the KWV3 standard 343# springs put it close to the Type S/Zanardi 6.5/5 set up correct? If I swapped the front springs for the 457# Club Sport spring and kept the 343# rear the setup would be close to the '97 Type S Zero/'93 NSX-R 8/6 setup correct?

I am curious why the DG-5 coilover setup has a 9kg front/14kg rear set up. Most seem to put the heavier springs on the front.....

FWIW my new CE28N's have shipped and I should have them next week!

Last edited:
You'd be close. Asfor the DG-5, for some reason, most JDM aftermarket suspensions put stiffer springs on the rear. No one really knows why, but the Japanese preference for drifting has been floated as an explanation. Virtually every motorsports suspension for the NSX, however, either uses equal spring rates or front-biased (including the factory NSX-R and Type S).

You'd be close. Asfor the DG-5, for some reason, most JDM aftermarket suspensions put stiffer springs on the rear. No one really knows why, but the Japanese preference for drifting has been floated as an explanation. Virtually every motorsports suspension for the NSX, however, either uses equal spring rates or front-biased (including the factory NSX-R and Type S).
Thanks. Based my numbers on this thread.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...Spring-Packages-by-FX-Motorsports-Development

I have driven stock, Type-S and NSX-R. The NSX-R is remarkably smooth and feels softer over rough roads than the Type-S, which is strange given the higher spring rates. That said, the Type-S is a fabulous suspension and virtually perfect in terms of handling balance (I recommend you also use the Zanardi sway bars with it to get the full effect). However, I think it is too harsh for a daily driver- the one I drove was nasty over rough roads and highway joints knocked the wheel out of my hands. Dollar for dollar, however, the KW outclasses both of them. It rides better and out-handles the NSX-R or Type-S. The KW gives you Moton/JRZ performance for Type-S money.

Honcho,what size of wheels and tyres were on the cars when you tried the type s/r suspensions?

I've noticed bigger wheels and wider tyres even with standard suspension is what causes the steering wheel to be jarred for the hands ofer bumps.

Regards
Jamie

In the interest of consolidating information, here are the part numbers for the suspension, please keep an eye at the suffix... J04 denotes the 02+ on fronts and J02 denotes 02+ on rears

1999 Zanardi (USDM) and 1997-2001 Type S (JDM) Suspension part numbers are;
· 51601 SL0 J02 - Right
· 51602 SL0 J02 - Left

Rear
· 52610 SL0 J01 - Rear

2002+ Type S Suspension part numbers are;
· 51601 SL0 J04 - Right
· 51602 SL0 J04 - Left

Rear
· 52610 SL0 J02

2002+ Type R Suspension
· 51601 SL0 R01 - Right
· 51602 SL0 R01 - Left
Rear
· 52610 SL0 R01 - Rears

Please keep in mind the Type S.zero (1997-1999) uses the same suspension as the the NA1 Type R (1992-1995) suspension but retaining the Type S’s larger rear sway bar.

Last edited:
Back