• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ultra Slim floor standing speakers...need suggestions

I need to add some speakers to my bedroom setup. The room is too big for the speakers that are on the TV, so I need something more.

Problem is, real estate is at a premium by the TV rack because the door to my bathroom. I need a speaker set with a really small footprint. Mounting the speakers on the wall (i.e. bose cube array) is out of the question because I did not prewire for this and I hate wires.

I just need a left/right speaker set. No center or rears. Thanks.

Here's what I'm working with...note the door stop so you see how close the door gets:

bedroomtv.jpg

Where's the amp? Going in that stand? No need to prewire, just drill a couple holes in the wall and fish them through.

Modify the bathroom door so it opens to the inside of the bathroom. All
my bathroom doors open towards the inside. I thought this is the most common set-up, but I guess not.

I saw an infomercial for Bose's 321 speaker system. Seemed pretty compact, but I haven't heard it in person yet, so I don't really know what the sound quality is like. Just thought I'd mention it in case you wanted to read up on it...

p_321gsx_s_s.jpg

Bose's 321 System

I saw an infomercial for Bose's 321 speaker system. Seemed pretty compact, but I haven't heard it in person yet, so I don't really know what the sound quality is like. Just thought I'd mention it in case you wanted to read up on it...

Friends don't let friends buy Bose. Their systems are bad enough in cars, why would you want to ruin your listening experience at home.

Friends don't let friends buy Bose. Their systems are bad enough in cars, why would you want to ruin your listening experience at home.

Sorry DocL, I'm not too familiar with home theater systems. Guess I was just mesmorized by their infomercial...=)

Although I had a Bose system in my old Maxima, and I was more than pleased. Then again, I'm not a big sound system kinda guy, so my expectations are probably much lower compared to the audio enthusiasts out there...

You don't need a center, the speakers are close enough to create a perfectly fine center image. You won't need a sub if you get floorstanding models.

I would make two recommendations. The first is a set of Artisons on the sides of the display. These are Cary Christy designs and I have to tell you, are the best sounding speakers in their class for sure. www.artisonusa.com

They are bipolar speakers that create a pseudo surround effect and they come with grilles that match your display in height and color. They have a VERY wide soundtsage, and will expand the sound well beyond the limitations you have here. With a small sub, you will be blown away by the sound. Even without a sub they are quite impressive. They take an LCR input, you will need to use the front three channels of a surround receiver.

My second recommendation is a set of Focal floorstanding speakers, they have a variety to choose from.

artisansketchlcrgrille.jpg

artison-main.jpg

PM me if you want either of these and I will get them for you cheap.

Where's the amp? Going in that stand? No need to prewire, just drill a couple holes in the wall and fish them through.

Amp is in going in the stand.

Modify the bathroom door so it opens to the inside of the bathroom. All
my bathroom doors open towards the inside. I thought this is the most common set-up, but I guess not.

Now that is exactly what I was looking for! Man, I can't believe I didn't think of that! Now I can put anything I want there.

Yea..not looking for a surround system in the bedroom, home theater is in the basement. Sorry about the pic...didn't drink my V8 that day. And if anyone can recommend a nice black leather sectional that will fit in that space, I would be greatly obliged.

DSC01619.jpg

I'm quite surprised your door swings out vs. into the bathroom....

Anyway, space is not great on the one side. You could opt for a pair of B&O 6000's or 8000's, but I think no matter what you choose it will interfer with the door.....

DSC01590.JPG
DSC00050-1.JPG

I think a pair of Penta III's or Beolab 1's would be overkill for this application.

thisfivesided.jpg
DSC08577-1.JPG

You could also mount some speakers in the ceiling above your bed. You know, up by the mirrors.:smile:

You could also mount some speakers in the ceiling above your bed. You know, up by the mirrors.:smile:

I already have prewire for ceiling speakers, but they are routed back to the main system in the living room. Had to move the ceiling fan to accomodate the mirror. :wink:

Go to Partsexpress.com and build your own speakers.I built my set up last year and it is amazing.Also fun They offer many kits.you get way better quality for the $$$$$.

Or you can go away from floor stander and go for one of these
DHTFS3_Front_All_Parts_G.gif

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3576.asp

+1 one on the single surround sound speaker. At that tight of a footprint you aren't going to get that great imaging from two speakers anyway. Why not clean up the look at get a single speaker designed for imaging? You’ll be surprised how well they work. The only catch is that optimal imaging range is a pretty small focused spot, but if you make it right where you will be sitting on your bed, you’ll be fine. Here's a whole slew of them from Crutchfield. you can pick from, some better than others. Just be sure to test one out first before buying it.

Incidentally, I was studying under one of the pioneers of this technology at Va Tech during my education there. I remember he showed us his R&D on a one speaker surround sound system. He also designed a water pump about the size of a dime that could shoot a stream of water about 7 feet in the air. The guy was brilliant.

Personally, putting anything on the floor next to the stand, thin or not, or mounting some awkward speaker on the outside of the wall looks very ghetto in my opinion. (unless small like the Bose but they sound terrible)

Use the in wall speakers. They sound great and are inexpensive. Nothing to knock into, nothing for the door to hit. If you are mounting a speaker on the outside of the wall and it is much harder to fish the wires because you are trying to go through a tiny hole in the wall. With the inwall, you use the template and cut a rectangle in the dryway to put the speaker in. It is easy to fish the wire down because you can actually see it because the hole is large enough to get your arm in or head if the speaker is big enough. If you mount them under the TV, then it will be even easier. Paint it to match the wall color if you want or leave it as is. This is an easy process.

Take off that one section of base boards, cut a hole at the bottom, pull the wire though and run it under the carpet along the base board to the center and plug it in.

CIMG2740.jpg

I have three surround sound set-ups in my home with the in-wall speakers and I couldn't be happier.

If you want a single speaker solution Yamaha makes a better one than that Denon. None will sound as good as the Artisons that I showed you. I agree that aesthetically it would be better if the rack went as did any floorstanding speakers, but really it is your home and if the look is fine with you then its fine. You won't get the same sound out of a pair of in-walls and good floorstanding speakers but then this isn't a dedicated theater either.

That is an inside wall which is hollow and very easy to run wires in and out of.

CIMG2740.jpg

So why not pain those in-walls? I agree with everything you said but you have 3 big white grilles in the middle of your own walls. If it was me I would paint the in-walls and I would paint the entire area the TV is in black. It will create a lot more dynamic range for your eyes and you will see a better contrast ratio on the TV. You will immediately see the TV picture "pop" without having touched a single picture control. Even the gray on the outer walls is a lot better than the white (just from an AV standpoint, obviously I am not your interior designer).

CIMG2740.jpg

So why not pain those in-walls? I agree with everything you said but you have 3 big white grilles in the middle of your own walls. If it was me I would paint the in-walls and I would paint the entire area the TV is in black. It will create a lot more dynamic range for your eyes and you will see a better contrast ratio on the TV. You will immediately see the TV picture "pop" without having touched a single picture control. Even the gray on the outer walls is a lot better than the white (just from an AV standpoint, obviously I am not your interior designer).

I agree with you...it is on my list of things to do. :) I spent so much time and energy in that basement that it is taking me a long time to do some of the smaller stuff. I plan on putting book shelves on either side of the TV as well. I was planning on painting the grills too. I do like your idea of painting the cutout behind the TV black too. :) They gray has more green than grey, but it doesn't look like it in the picture.

Back