• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Valentine 1

Hi all,
Im not very good with radar detectors. I have a few questions. Can the police/cops/state troopers detect our radar detectors?
Also, can they take it away from us if we were stupid enough to get caught using it (valentine 1)? Im in NJ and my friend got caught with one before and the trooper knew she was using a radar. Not sure how.

Anyway, Im looking to getting the Valentine 1 radar detector.
I just dont want to get pulled over and have it taken away even IF i was not speeding. I just dont know if they can detect the valentine 1 or any other radars. Also, if we wer pulled over, should we hide the detector or leave it out in plain view.
Might sound like dumb questions, but Id rather be sure.

Also, will it work if my car was tinted in the back window?

Thanks in advance,
Calvin

Off the top of my head, Virginia and DC are the only areas where you cannot use a radar detector. I do not believe it is within their right to take your property if you are not doing anything illegal. Radar detectors are LEGAL in other states, if they can take your detector than they should be able to take your radio or wheels also.... catch my drift?

You shouldn't have a problem with tinting as most oem already have some tint built into them. You should mount the V1 as high on the windshield as you can, either to the left or right of the rear view mirror. I have mine just to the left of it so it's always in my view, when I had it to the right I had the tendency to ignore it.

Also, it's quite easy to hardwire the V1. Honda usually gives room for accesories to be hooked up in the fuse box just to the left of the clutch. From what I remember there are 4 empty slots you shove a quick connector onto. I just did my Odyssey and wouldn't you know the connectors are on the BACK of the frigin fuse box. The NSX was much easier.

hlweyl is correct on all counts.

Some additional information, and replies to specific questions not already answered...

NSXNXT said:
Can the police/cops/state troopers detect our radar detectors?
There is a device that is commonly called a "radar detector detector" that is used by law enforcement in Virginia, the District of Columbia, and Canada, where radar detector use is illegal. This enables them to detect the use of a radar detector. I doubt that this device is in use anywhere in the 49 states where detectors are legal, just because it really doesn't accomplish anything elsewhere.

NSXNXT said:
can they take it away from us
Yes, where its use is illegal, but only if you were using it. For example, if you drive through Virginia, and your radar detector is in the trunk, then I'm pretty sure they cannot take it away.

NSXNXT said:
if we wer pulled over, should we hide the detector or leave it out in plain view.
If you can, it would be prudent to move it out of sight, if you can do so without being too conspicuous. But if it's in a place where it is visible to a car behind you, so that the officer would have seen the warning lights go off, then you are probably better off leaving it out.

One other point... hlweyl mentioned the possibility of hard wiring the Valentine 1, and you can buy an optional remote display for it. This is fine, if you are going to use it in only one particular vehicle. If you need to move it from vehicle to vehicle, then you may just use it as is, with the plug-in wiring it comes with. Same thing if you are considering it as part of their free 30-day trial, while you are getting accustomed to its operation and features, before you are ready to commit to the permanent installation.

also, the radar-detector-detector ken mentions is called a VG-2. It's a microwave detector that detects the oscillations given off by a radar detector's circuitry. however, many detectors out there are shielded now so that the VG-2 cannot detect them. This includes the Valentine 1.

How fast do you normally drive on the interstates with your radar detectors? I normally go about 80 in a 70, but I think I could probably go a lot faster and still be OK on radar traps. (minus instant on).

How do you all consider a "safe" interestate speed?

depends what state youre in and what highway youre on. when i'm in FL on 95 between boca and west palm, the left lane cruises right along at 90.

in MA on rte 95 between woburn and the NH border, people cruise at 75-90. but if im on 93, people cruise at around 70-80.

in the NW in the seattle->portland highway, people seem to cruise closer to 65 and actually get upset when i go by at 75.

i just came back a chicago to indianapolis drive and people were sticking around 75-80. they were nicer there than here in MA though as I was going faster than that and they moved out of my way. forget anyone moving out of your way in MA, though the worst offenders I've seen for absolutely REFUSING to move for any reason generally have NY plates.

NetViper said:
How fast do you normally drive on the interstates with your radar detectors? I normally go about 80 in a 70, but I think I could probably go a lot faster and still be OK on radar traps. (minus instant on).

I'm definitely not a speed demon, but I think positioning yourself properly in traffic is as important as a good radar detector. I never position myself "on an island", which means you are in the fastlane with no traffic in front of you, that's a no-no. Instant on and laser will get you everytime.

Also, reading brake light from cars in front of you is a good idea.

So what is "safe"? I don't really know. I think going with the pace of the traffic around you is safe. Too slow = not good and too fast = not good. Lane dodging = not good

missnsx said:
The Valentine 1 rocks...mine was stolen :(

I had one stolen as well and informed Valentine. They keep database of stolen units and owners in case one is ever sent back in for updates.

NetViper said:

In metropolitan areas: Whatever speed is typical of the faster cars on the road, allowing an occasional even faster car to pass me. In the Chicago area, where interstates generally have a 55 mph speed limit, this usually translates to 75-80 mph daytime and 70-75 mph nighttime.

On open roads between cities, in terrain with generally good visibility ahead: Approximately 13-18 mph over the limit daytime, 8-13 mph over nighttime. However, if someone passes me going faster, I will often tag along at the same speed they are going, far enough behind so that I am not annoying them.

Ken is a bit bolder than I. I have found that at 10 mph over the speed limit the cops won't even give you a second look. I do however practice the right-lane-except-to-pass method as well.

nsxtasy said:
Some additional information, and replies to specific questions not already answered...

There is a device that is commonly called a "radar detector detector" that is used by law enforcement in Virgina, Distritct of Columbia and Canada, where radar detector use is illegal.
Radar detectors are NOT illegal in Canada, at least not in all or even most of the 10 provinces and three territories. I believe they are only illegal in Ontario. They have never been illegal in British Columbia and were, but are no longer, illegal in Alberta. As for the rest of the provinces and the territories, who cares :D they are covered in snow for 10 months of the year (okay, I made that part up! At least as far as the provinces are concerned!).

robr said:
also, the radar-detector-detector ken mentions is called a VG-2. It's a microwave detector that detects the oscillations given off by a radar detector's circuitry. however, many detectors out there are shielded now so that the VG-2 cannot detect them. This includes the Valentine 1.
I recall a Car and Driver test of radar detectors and the Valentine 1 was the least detectable by VG2. In fact, in most cases it was undetectable.

Last edited:
Im sold...Thanks everyone,
I just placed my order at valentineone.com.
Take care,
Calvin

NSX Maven said:
Radar detectors are NOT illegal in Canada, at least not in all or even most of the 10 provinces and three territories. I believe they are only illegal in Ontario. They have never been illegal in British Columbia and were, but are no longer, illegal in Alberta.
According to the Valentine 1 website, radar detectors are illegal everywhere in Canada except British Columbia, Alberta, and Saskatchewan.

apparently there is a relatively recent radar-detector-detector available called the VG3-Spectre. I can't find much info on it other than there supposedly aren't many detectors available yet that are shielded from it. Also not much info on if any law enforcement is actually using it.

For all I know, it's vaporware from what I can find.

I have had 2 V1's taken from me, by the OPP in 4 years.
One of them I reported to Valentine, 8 months later they called me and said some one sent it in for repair.
They were going to send it back to me, but the guy who sent it in had a sales slip from a police acution for the darn thing.

whooa, prova4re, what state was it taken in?
Calvin

NSXNXT said:
whooa, prova4re, what state was it taken in?
Calvin

Well, he said by the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police), so I am guessing he was using them in Ontario..

my bad, i didnt know what OPP was besides that song by Naughty By Nature )C=
Thanks,
Calvin

Yup, thats the only place to buy it unless you find one on ebay.
Ive seen a few, but not much savings. Also, check out this mod.
http://www.apexcone.com/prod_invisimirror.html

Although its not illegal in NJ to use, I will probably buy the mod.
Valentine One should be coming in today.
Calvin

Back