• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Group Buy Variable Manual Rack - Feel a little F1 tech in your hands

Count me in for phase 2 I been creeping this thread for a while now. I had came across an idea like this but using a 2002 MR2 PS pump and 93 Accord abs fuse box I'm sure there is way more to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you added.
>I had came across an idea like this but using a 2002 MR2 PS pump and 93 Accord abs fuse box I'm sure there is way more to it.
we are sure that will work for other sporty cars but not for the iconic NSX. That would be a downgrade. we are going with THE best vendor to properly engineer this part (w/o the original drawing) so its not going to be a blacksmith project.

If you... We.... however you view us. Doesn't get enough people backing the project. Maybe we could, and should increase the donation amount?

I understand very well why many people are not interested in investing money into creating product, they haven't tried, don't know the effect of, or not sure if they need.
More people will put their money down on a finished product. naturally... Once it has been tested and reviewed. Confirmed to be a good upgrade etc.

>If you... We.... however you view us. Doesn't get enough people backing the project. Maybe we could, and should increase the donation amount?

Thats the plan for all/us. We look at it as a project for the "group" not just for P2F. We have time as long as we're making small progress and not dicking round, MVO is willing to help. We'll give it a month or two as many people don't visit here often. We then just divide the $2500 among the number and if all agree to donate, we will go forward. Otherwise, its a no go. Same applies to Phase 3. @ 100 people, thats ~$50 each for Phase 2 & 3 and that is very reasonable IMO. @ 50 people, thats $100 each and also very reasonable for a development as such with a top vendor.

>I understand very well why many people are not interested in investing money into creating product, they haven't tried, don't know the effect of, or not sure if they need.
>More people will put their money down on a finished product. naturally... Once it has been tested and reviewed. Confirmed to be a good upgrade etc.

Yes that is the nature of this business. Technology has improved a lot since late 1980. Most want to see it to believe it. Only the few believe it then see it. The neocortex part of the brain says ok but the limbic part of the brain needs a lot more to make the emotional connection as big as this. Thus the early adopters who willing to brave this trek shall receive the most favorable price. There are still a few unknowns but with MVO's help, it will be minimized. They are not a fancy machine shop. Steering is their only business.

People who donate have the option to buy or not buy. There is just as much unknown of how long the oem rack will last and there is no replacement avail. MVO was not able to measure the donated oem rack "supposes to be" 20:1-18:1 "VR" rack according to the Service Manual. Its basically a straight 20:1 rack.

Once the 1st batch is tested and reviewed positively. there is no guarantee a 2nd batch will be made as the qty affect the price tremendously or if it is made, be affordable. There is strength in numbers so if we can pull this off, the early adopters will benefit from their donation and the 1st offer pricing but if we fail, the financial impact will not be as severe. We try to cover both sides of the equation. Not easy to do. The magic number is 100+ people.

>I assume this rack will only be for Left Hand Drive (LHD) cars?
As I am in Australia my NSX is RHD, and I would need the VR rack to fit this configuration.
If this is not possible I will opt out.
If it is possible I will contribute further
thanks for your efforts...
Chris Jennings
<sparky>

Sparky, depending how things go, its for LHD only......for now. If we can pull this off, we will help you guys as well. MVO told us it may not be a mirror image so they will need a RHD oem rack to verify and that is $2500 aka Phase 1. If it is a mirror image, then the design time(Phase 2) will be very minimal. Not sure about Phase 3 as its a master tooling check tool.

MVO is not willing to assume its a mirror image and "somehow" it is not as they ran into this problem before. Remember, we have no drawings from Honda of this part.
So it is very possible to have a RHD VR rack made especially if we get more of you RHD guys to donate. We are one tiny family and we'll do what we can to make this happen for all but we do need people to pull the trigger instead of sitting on the fence.

Thx for your interests.

I have a 91' now. So i'm totally committed!

Payment sent for phase 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Phase 2 will be done sometime this yr. pending MVO schedule. We still have the $1100 donation from Prime members but we spent $1400 on tooling for making the frt mini carbon lip. After many drives in 2017, the oem manual is nice but sure is not quick.

Hi, I also havent been on here for a long time. I would like to join this I am not even in phase one. Please let me know how to proceed.

Thanks,
Bernard

Gents, thx for your interest.
Phase 2 consists mainly the design of the rack that will fit inside the oem manual housing ONLY and it should be done by the end of this year. Based on the fewer number of people willing to carry on AFTER Phase 1, it means its not a high-demand project which means we need more people to participate in order to bring it to the market, otherwise, it won't happen. Plz keep in mind, we still have Phase 3(prototype and shakedown) to complete. If we have at least 100 people, then the rack is "reasonably" affordable but not cheap. This is a serious upgrade, not a mod, designed and engineered by the folks who invent the VR who is willing to help us for low qty. production. It will give you ZERO HP increase but it will provide a quicker and better steering ratio for spirited driving, but not C&C.

You can certainly buy a faster rack(probably fixed ratio) for other cars that is much cheaper but VR rack is quite an undertaking. MVO is the expert in this area and we want the best parts avail. for our cars.

We are in discussion with MVO about the final ratio we want. We ask $100 per donation which is NOT refundable on such project so please be aware....but, since you show good faith in us, it will return to you in the future.
Should you decide to donate, Paypal to [email protected] and select Friends and make a note what the money is for to keep track.

I donated the fund in April 2017 and there isn't any update after. his "discussion" took more than 1 year which is not going to happen.

money wasted and lesson learned.

Last edited:
I donated the fund in April 2017 and there isn't any update after. his "discussion" took more than 1 year which is not going to happen.

money wasted and lesson learned.

Ur both located in So Cal. Are u close enough to pay him a visit?

I've given up and will be going with http://nsxrackrepair.com/ after meeting them at the Vendor Booth at NSXPO2018.

Not gonna lie, I contributed to this as well, just to see where it goes. He reached out to us at NSX Rack Repair to maybe help with the install after he received all the parts......that was at least a year or so ago. Anyways, [MENTION=17226]BATMANs[/MENTION] it was a pleasure meeting you at NSXPO and I'm looking forward to rebuilding your rack. As those of you who've had our rebuild already know, our rebuild doesn't make the ratio shorter, but it does tighten the tolerances throughout the rack making it easier to steer when stopped and making it more responsive during spirited driving. It does change the dynamics for the better. We've rebuilt them on NSXs with as little as 4000 miles on the odometer and the difference is still like night and day. Were always here if you need us. www.nsxrackrepair.com and www.facebook.com/nsxrackrepair.

Not gonna lie, I contributed to this as well, just to see where it goes. He reached out to us at NSX Rack Repair to maybe help with the install after he received all the parts......that was at least a year or so ago. Anyways, [MENTION=17226]BATMANs[/MENTION] it was a pleasure meeting you at NSXPO and I'm looking forward to rebuilding your rack. As those of you who've had our rebuild already know, our rebuild doesn't make the ratio shorter, but it does tighten the tolerances throughout the rack making it easier to steer when stopped and making it more responsive during spirited driving. It does change the dynamics for the better. We've rebuilt them on NSXs with as little as 4000 miles on the odometer and the difference is still like night and day. Were always here if you need us. www.nsxrackrepair.com and www.facebook.com/nsxrackrepair.

Pleasure meeting you and your team as well.

How is your current work load?

Can't wait to get this rolling.

Not gonna lie, I contributed to this as well, just to see where it goes. He reached out to us at NSX Rack Repair to maybe help with the install after he received all the parts......that was at least a year or so ago.

We are glad Matt is willing to help us as we are still a long way until the 1st prototype. The 2nd stage of designing the variable rack by MVO will be done, probably around early part of next year as many on Prime had contributed $$ to make it happen. Then we move on to the 3rd stage which is making a prototype iff there is enough interests.

With great sadness:frown: but no regrets:wink: of what we learned about this technology, Pole 2 Flag Racing working with MVO of the Phase 2 VR steering rack project have reached a financial chasm too wide to bridge.

We crunched bunch of numbers, solved various engineering and manufacturing challenges and agreed on a ratio of low-18-ish to mid 14-ish with an aggressive curve as the oem ratio is just too slow.

Thus, we are cancelling this project until more people is willing to support. Of those who contributed, we have returned 6 payments so far for the month of August with inflation thru Paypal but PP has a limit of 6 free transactions per month. So if you contributed $100 USD back in 2017, you will receive $104.67 USD per Google calculation and we all know Google is always right:mad: and we will pay for the currency exchanged charge as well.

All the contribution on our list will be returned by Thxgiving, if you do not receive your portion, you will need to PM us and proof that we miss you somehow.

Thank you and we are honored to have your support.

Last edited:
Sorry to see this project coming to an untimely death. Hopefully it will get resurrected someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back