• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

vibration

I have a 97 TT supra that I cannot seem to shake an annoying wheel vibration especially over 80 mph.

I have had two excellent tire shops (both have GSP9700 machine) balance the tires and the vibration is still there.
There is no pulling of the car so it appears it is aligned.

I have Dunlops 235/45 in front and Dunlop 255/40 in rear. The tread design of the front vs. rears is different.

The tires have less than 2000 miles on them and they are at the recommended pressure.

What else could this vibration be do to ??

Thanks

Can you tell if it originates from front or rear? If you don't feel it more in teh steering wheel than your butt, then probably not the front (although power steering can mask that). Does it increase or decrease with light braking? Under acceleration? Is it different when running straight than in a left or right sweeper? Have you checked the driveshaft, axles and wheel bearings? If you dip the clutch in does it change?

What I'm getting at is that there are a lot of tests you can do to better define the symptoms and conditions, without which it is futile to attempt remote diagnostics.

BTW, since it isn't an NSX I suspect this should be in the Off Topic section. If it suddenly disappears on you, look for it there.

The vibration is felt by my hands on the steering wheel. When I get below 75-80 it is less apparent and completely goes away at 50 mph. Braking/slowing down decreases the vibration. Turning the wheels at high speeds does not changes the vibration. Engaging clutch does not change. There is no association with temperature. It is not apparent at all in routine city driving. It is not related to any gear.

I have not had any thing looked at besides the tires. It just had its 60K service a couple of months ago so I presume the bearings etc. were checked but I will have to check with Toyota.

Back