• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Volk GT-V's Stained by the dealership carwash...

As a last resort, you could take all 4 apart and have the barrels professionally polished.

I'm hoping thats what they try to do if they don't replace them...

You mean before or after they're repaired?

Maybe I should get those dark gunmetal Advan RS's and be done with it? :) (if they approve replacing them that is)

Last edited:
in all honesty- finishes so sensitive to damage do not belong on wheels.

Actually , people with no knowledge of what certain chemicals will do to your wheels do not belong anywhere near your car! It does take a pretty caustic solution to cause this kind of damage.

You mean before or after they're repaired?

Maybe I should get those dark gunmetal Advan RS's and be done with it? :) (if they approve replacing them that is)

You have one other option , I have used a product called zoop seal , it seals the surface of the aluminum , preventing it from oxidizing. If you have them polished this is a must IMO , otherwise you will hate your life.

Actually , people with no knowledge of what certain chemicals will do to your wheels do not belong anywhere near your car! It does take a pretty caustic solution to cause this kind of damage.

you are correct BUT clear anodizing is very weak by itself, coating thickness is usually 0.002-0.003in- half of human hair.

Well got the car back finally and the rims look like chrome... I'll post some pics when I get around to it but damn does it look good..... the only down side is it takes more maintenance to keep them looking good... ah well!

Well got the car back finally and the rims look like chrome... I'll post some pics when I get around to it but damn does it look good..... the only down side is it takes more maintenance to keep them looking good... ah well!
Welcome to my "iforge" world.:rolleyes: Yes upkeep can be tiresome but worth the look.

If they actually chromed the lips, then they made the wheels heavier. But on the flipside, chrome will be easier to maintain... just don't use anything that will eat away the chrome.

I hear this all the time. How much could chrome possibly weigh. I mean were talking about a couple thousands of an inch of copper and chrome. What are we adding weight wise? If all the chrome was flaked off a wheel what would you have? A few ounces? I certainly can't imagine it weighing more than an eighth of a pound?

Not being argumenative just curious as to why people think a chromed wheel is so much heavier than the same wheel painted.

I hear this all the time. How much could chrome possibly weigh. I mean were talking about a couple thousands of an inch of copper and chrome. What are we adding weight wise? If all the chrome was flaked off a wheel what would you have? A few ounces? I certainly can't imagine it weighing more than an eighth of a pound?

Not being argumenative just curious as to why people think a chromed wheel is so much heavier than the same wheel painted.

Theory vs. reality. My friend got his SF-Challenges chromed, you could definitely tell the chromed lips were heavier.

If they actually chromed the lips, then they made the wheels heavier. But on the flipside, chrome will be easier to maintain... just don't use anything that will eat away the chrome.

No I didn't say they chromed them. They just polished them to look like chrome which is very easy to do with aluminum with the right process. John Martin said nothing about chroming my rims. :rolleyes:

Back