• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wanna get the Blues?

Sometimes the Blues is a good thing - especially if it's Robert Johnson .... or maybe even a new colour display for your clock &/or A/C Controller Module
pain.gif

Here's what the finished article looks like:

Randomy Harmony's Clock & A/C Module

5957DSC01262.JPG

My A/C Module

5957DSC01276.JPG

It's not a really hard thing to do & I'm sure you would agree that with the Alpine Head Units it looks a much better match. (wish mine had the blue choice for buttons on my 7996 like Shane's 8315 though)

It's achieved by installing a replacement Blue Gel Filter in place of the stock Red Gel Filter. You can obtain it at various places on the internet like Here - you could choose other colours too if preferred - green maybe.

(all thumb-nail pics are clickable links to large pics)

Start by removing the clock, then the console to get access to remove the A/C module.

When you have the Clock & A/C modules on the bench you're ready to start

First the clock module:

Remove the three screws on the rear panel & pop the 4 clips on top & bottom to remove the rear panel & the circuit board.

Now the original Gel panel is revealed - the Clock is a little more complicated because you need to Dremel off the plastic rivets to remove the Gel screen (or you could try cutting them off with a really sharp Xacto or Stanley blade)

After you remove the rivet heads, peel off the Red Gel Screen

Then apply a small strip of the new Blue Gel material - I used a small drop of crazy-glue on either side of the open frame to keep it secure. Make sure the Gel sheet is dust-free on both sides to avoid that showing up when it's illuminated.

Finally re-assemble the clock in reverse order.

For the A/C Module, it's somewhat easier because there is no Dremeling involved.

Remove the screw on the rear panel between the two green connector sockets. Then remove the countersunk screw on each side and pop the adjacent clips to disengage the front display panel. The panel will not completely disengage because of the ribbon cables between the controller & the display (not an issue).

Remove the three plugs & the 4 screws indicated (don't remove the two that aren't circled, along the edge)

Carefully lift the circuit board out to access the front side of the dsplay.
Then its simply peel off the red Gel & replace it with a strip of the Blue. The Red sheet was originally held in place with an adhesive & enough of that probably remains to just hold the new sheet in place, without the need for additional. It really doesn't take much to hold it in place.

Complete the A/C module by re-assembling in reverse sequence.

Re-install the modules & the console.

If you have an OEM radio it's also possible to repeat the process for that too - very similar but the radio is a little more awkward to get access to the display - pretty intuitive however (you do need to remove the cassete module once inside the case if remember).

Acknowledgements are due to:

Malibu Rapper - for giving me some Gel sheet free (yes: Nada - nothing - zippo - zilch - not even postage!)

briank - for organizing & supplying a kit of capacitors for the troublesome A/C module (The A/C module suffers from similar problem as the Bose amps in that the capacitors fail). Mine was OK but I replaced them while this was apart as a preventive measure. ~$10 shipped if I recall - good investment!

mc-ca - for this aspirator fan fix ; another good time to take care of that annoying problem while the console is all apart.

Last edited:
I GOT DA BLUES. :biggrin: and it's MAGIC!! hehehe...

SIGH...now if i can show it to Maggie...I GOT DA BLUES...

EDITED: LOVE THE BLUES!!!

Last edited:
Nice writeup!

You know what, the red plastic piece on your clock is different than on my car. Whereas you had a peel away red film attached to a hard plastic piece with the window cutout, my clock had a single hard piece of red plastic.

This made it difficult to get a nice tight piece of gel sheet showing with no wrinkles. Here's a picture of my original red piece.

9919IMG_1599-thumb.JPG

Wow, (AGAIN!) another great write-up.

*Insert obligatory praise for outstanding DIY write up here* :biggrin:

Seeing how I have the exact same head unit in the first pic of Randomy Harmony’s dash, I guess it’s mandatory that I do this DIY.

Thanks for posting the link for the color filters, but did anyone else notice the $50 minimum for orders??? :eek: Fifty big ones for a 2” by 4” film of plastic? Hmmm, I’m thinking group buy and split, anyone? Or has someone already made the plunge and has more excess film than they know what to do with. Malibu Rapper, I’m looking in your direction *wink*. :tongue: :biggrin:

Malibu Rapper said:
Good God the OEM stereo looks sexy in blue. I might have to go back to the OEM deck!!! (clickable image)

I've officially gotten the blues! Thanks for hooking it up Bradley! The color is perfect. Updating the lights (both interior and exterior) and stereo system has taken years off the car and has really increased my enjoyment of the drive. Blue is :cool: !

I am thinking about getting the blues. :biggrin: Why did everyone leave the radio & climate control knobs red? Can they be changed to blue :confused: if so what bulb does it take to match the blue filters? Anyone know?

Malibu Rapper said:
Nice writeup!

You know what, the red plastic piece on your clock is different than on my car. Whereas you had a peel away red film attached to a hard plastic piece with the window cutout, my clock had a single hard piece of red plastic.

This made it difficult to get a nice tight piece of gel sheet showing with no wrinkles. Here's a picture of my original red piece.

9919IMG_1599-thumb.JPG
I did mine last night and had the same hard plastic piece that Bradley shows.

love the blues, really likes it a lot!

on the other hand, after having it for a while now, i like to point out that the blue does not contrast as well as the orange during sunlight. just an fyi.

but i still love the blues. :biggrin:

woohoo! i got the blues too! well its more of a teal, almost green, but damn it looks good! this was way easier than I thought it was. I also used gel filters. I have plenty left over , so if anyone wants to do this, send me a pm.

the knobs and other buttons are somewhat tricky to change. they have a filter that seems to be almost painted on, so you have to scrape it off, but being careful not to go too deep as you will start scraping off the white part that shows from the front. I was able to do this to the knobs and the panel behind the knobs for the A/C. the buttons on the other hand, I didnt do as I dont know how to remove them.

Has anyone changed the color to their gauge cluster? I'd like to do that next. Is there an orange/amber filter behind it? if there isnt, i can just change the bulbs with some LED's. I did the same thing with my Civic.

here are some pics of my mod. excuse the poor quality, i used my phone to take these. as you can see, i need to replace my Vol knob, but I am replacing the headunit with an aftermarket one, so i'm not worried about it.

5343Blue_Dash.jpg

5343Blue_Dash_01.jpg

demigod said:
Thanks Ken. I had it apart earlier and put it back together, I'll probably just update the head unit. I did the others though. :)

I currently have the same head unit as Ken. An Alpine DVA-7996 which also plays DVDs. I'm planning on changing it out soon for the new Alpine DVA-9965. When I do, would you want dibs on it? I plan to sell it for $400.00.

Here is a shot of my install...........

monitor1.jpg

Hugh said:
I currently have the same head unit as Ken. An Alpine DVA-7996 which also plays DVDs. I'm planning on changing it out soon for the new Alpine DVA-9965. When I do, would you want dibs on it? I plan to sell it for $400.00.

Here is a shot of my install...........

I'm not sure which route I'm going yet, but thanks for the offer. Also sorry I haven't sent that out yet Hugh, I haven't had a chance to get to the post office yet. It will be there shortly though.
rauch17.gif

Which is the Blue filter you guys used from the color wheel?

Attachments

• colorwheel.jpg
    colorwheel.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 352
NSX~PERT said:
Which is the Blue filter you guys used from the color wheel?

I'd like to know this as well. I'd also like to know where to purchase the GelScreens.

I can get these gel filters at wholesale.If there is enough demand I would be willing to pick some extras up when I go get the ones to do my car.I just need to know the exact color everyone wants?

Last edited:
Back