• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Was the NSX community more in touch with the market than Acura?

If the leftovers still struggle to sell even at $120K, then clearly it's not about the price, but branding image or simply market fatigue or saturation or a combination of both.

If the leftovers still struggle to sell even at $120K, then clearly it's not about the price, but branding image or simply market fatigue or saturation or a combination of both.

it's definitely not over saturation! :biggrin:

these cars should be flying out of showrooms at $120,000 to $130,000...

it's definitely not over saturation! :biggrin:

these cars should be flying out of showrooms at $120,000 to $130,000...
The word is out, they are now starting to fly out of showrooms for prices that are in line with performance.

the word is out, they are now starting to fly out of showrooms for prices that are in line with performance.

^^^this^^^

I'm just happy people are getting deals and we have new owners popping up left and right. Welcome everyone. We need fresh material here. I always said I'd have both gens in my garage, just not at the starting price of 200k. For slight cost over the gtr, Nissan will be pummeled.

Buyers always set the market, and sellers are free to participate (meet the market price that's available) or sit on their product hoping the market will shift upward.

Sellers can influence a market by controlling supply, but only if a product is in high demand. Sellers can also influence demand by meeting or exceeding expectations.

This guy understands economics.

it's too late to turn anything around. with an unchanged 2017 model now becoming the 2018 model, the much hyped new NSX is done.

the first model year always sells the most, look at the NA1 sales. 3200 in 1991, 1200 in 1992. and then a drastic decline from there, with 600 the next year. and that NSX was a lot more competitive in performance and price, with less competition from other brands.

the new NSX is a very nice car, no doubt. but so is everything else. it's all down hill from here... :frown:

This is a little dramatic. By the same token, the 1st gen NSX was done after 1991.

Right off the bat forcing the carbon brakes at $10k was a bad idea.

Agreed, especially at the $150k++ level. IMO in the six figure range cars should be coming with ceramics as standard. On the low end of the $100k spectrum, Corvette ZR1 had standard ceramic brakes, and at the high end, every McLaren offering comes standard with ceramics. Porsche still makes it an upcharge though, which is pretty cheesy.

some will like the NSX better, some will like the Porsche better. all a matter of personal taste. i've driven both, and would take the 911 Turbo S every time...

That's the thing, at Turbo, or Turbo S prices, the Turbo (or GT3, etc.) is a clear winner. However, in the $120k ballpark compared to a Carrera S or Carrera GTS I think the NSX is a clear winner.

I'm just happy people are getting deals and we have new owners popping up left and right. Welcome everyone. We need fresh material here. I always said I'd have both gens in my garage, just not at the starting price of 200k. For slight cost over the gtr, Nissan will be pummeled.

+1 I'm just happy they're selling cars.

However, just like Acura is now offering a $30k incentive on NSX, Nissan has been offering big incentives on GTR for a long time now. Incentive goes up and down, but usually it's been about $20k of factory incentives especially if you can take last model year. You can find brand new GTRs all day long for $90k, which is a big difference from $120-$140k on a NSX.

R36 should be coming soon, then we can talk about pummeling.

Not holding my breath :tongue: we're probably looking at 2020. But maybe we'll see something cool at TMS in a couple weeks??

Regarding incentives..... Porsche has traditionally given dealers $20K back on the prior year's 991 Turbos/S

Starts in the fall /winter.

In the final 4-5 years of the gen 1 NSX, Acura gave either $5K or $10K back + depending on how hungry the dealers
happened to be at the time, another $5K was easy.

My 2005 GP White NSX was $89.7 MSRP, purchased for $75K + TTL.......I think total USA sales for the final year was 249 units (mine was #150 ).

I get emails from different porsche dealers all the time since I've purchased (always used, never new) from 2 different dealers. I have seen turbo incentives @$40k when it is their final leftover car(s) with most likely much higher than base msrp. My friend was a salesman @ Acura way back when NSX gen 1 was new (NA2) and I used to see $69,999 and $798 (maybe it was $698 lease) lease deals if I recall correctly as they couldn't give the cars away. The past 4 months have been strange since I have been away for 11 years on reading prime (even though I have kept my car but didnt drive it) as every day normal people seem to like my nsx more than when they were still being sold new. No more questions of why do you have an NSX or statements such as x car is much faster, quicker, etc

who bought the loaded blue one from South Coast yesterday? I just emailed the dealers back trying to shop prices against each other and was told it was sold already. Maybe Cerritos will give me a favorable response as I dont want to end up with the black car. South Coast just emailed saying someone also has a deposit on an inbound car (friend of the person who bought the blue car yesterday) and said they could/would not meet or beat what I have on the table (48k off 200,500 msrp car) and to take it and run.

Dealer email "We have one more that is about to be built but a friend of the guy who bought the blue one yesterday put a deposit on the inbound car yesterday. This program has caused a bit of a frenzy, if AN acura is going to do that kind of deal on an NSX, take them up on it, its far better than what we could have done."

Last edited:
This is a little dramatic. By the same token, the 1st gen NSX was done after 1991.

definitely a huge drop off, about half each consecutive year. maybe Honda isn't very good at playing in the Supercar game? but the sales for this NSX in year one are pretty dramatic...

That's the thing, at Turbo, or Turbo S prices, the Turbo (or GT3, etc.) is a clear winner. However, in the $120k ballpark compared to a Carrera S or Carrera GTS I think the NSX is a clear winner.

maybe it's just me, but i'd honestly have no worries paying Ferrari or McLaren money for a car on that level. i really would.

is it the performance, or the brand prestige that's making the difference for most buyers then?

However, just like Acura is now offering a $30k incentive on NSX, Nissan has been offering big incentives on GTR for a long time now. Incentive goes up and down, but usually it's been about $20k of factory incentives especially if you can take last model year. You can find brand new GTRs all day long for $90k, which is a big difference from $120-$140k on a NSX.

the current GTR is an 11 year old model however, not a brand new 1st year car...

I get emails from different porsche dealers all the time since I've purchased (always used, never new) from 2 different dealers. I have seen turbo incentives @$40k when it is their final leftover car(s) with most likely much higher than base msrp. My friend was a salesman @ Acura way back when NSX gen 1 was new (NA2) and I used to see $69,999 and $798 (maybe it was $698 lease) lease deals if I recall correctly as they couldn't give the cars away. The past 4 months have been strange since I have been away for 11 years on reading prime (even though I have kept my car but didnt drive it) as every day normal people seem to like my nsx more than when they were still being sold new. No more questions of why do you have an NSX or statements such as x car is much faster, quicker, etc

I have noticed the same thing. 20 years ago the comments were " That car just never made it " and " that is just a fake Ferrari " Now I hear " that car was groundbreaking " and " I wish that I had bought one of those instead of my POS 355 " NSX 2.0 is repeating history. I'll never understand why Acura chose a very expensive 2 seat sportscar as their new halo vehicle. It is a segment of the market that fewer and fewer customers ( especially young people ) care about and I can't imagine the current Acura customer walking through the showroom saying I should buy one of those.

^

So true, it is especially odd when I hear people say that gen 2 isnt selling because it's nothing like gen 1... since the mid 90s so many people claimed the NSX was too expensive for what it was and no one wanted to buy it. I'm surprised they even brought it back since "barely anyone" wanted the first one, but apparently everyone loves gen 1 now?

Just read through this thread. I have to disagree with the many who claim the gen 2 is a bargain, especially because it's a "sport hybrid". Being a sport hybrid only earns you a premium if it puts out performance superior to an equivalent internal combustion vehicle. Being priced higher than a Porsche GT3, and similar to a GTR NISMO, Audi R8, and Mclaren 570 it suddenly doesn't have that much to offer (considering it's not as fast as any of those cars). It's definitely not faster than a 488 (the equivalent of the 308/328 when the first NSX came out).

Acura screwed up thinking this car was going to sell purely based on the fact that it's an NSX. You can't create a platform based on nostalgia for a previously amazing product. The new iteration needs to be at least as amazing in modern day context!

We have to remember the first NSX was usable, faster than its competitors from Porsche and Ferrari, less expensive, more reliable, and less complex. This current car achieves none of that.

It looks better than the 911s, GTR, R8. That says a lot for people in general and it's not solely about performance. Only thing that has it beat all around is the McLaren.

Mclaren has it beat for speed, looks, but not reliability. Reliable is more important to me. Mclaren BH sales mgr told me he thinks I am crazy if I try to buy (used) car without their warranty. I still want and like the cars mp4-12c or 650s spyder but reliability is not something I want to worry about since I wouldn't be putting many miles per year. Also I dont want to pay whatever the amount is between 4k-5.5k per yr for the warranty. Buying new is not something I would do no matter what (since I dont hate money) since Im not the kind of person who can take the depreciation beating those things have shown. When I was younger the best 0-60, 1/4 mile, top speed might have made me care but .3, .5, 2 secs slower in any category doesn't really matter to me. If it did I wouldn't have a 1991 nsx, I'd just go buy and drive a corvette (love corvettes since I was a kid, had a Callaway TT aerobody roadster, and reg roadster) like everyone already thinks it is. I tell everyone my old 1998 boxster was more fun than my 2012 911 turbo cab. Just like in motorcycles my old 2008 ninja 250r was more fun than my 2009 ducati 1098r all spec'ed out. I want fun and reliability and performance is the bonus. These are extreme examples to make my point. The nsx isnt that far away in performance specs than its competitors. Even the day before I bought the berlina black 2017 nsx I was thinking I should just buy a mclaren spyder or ferrari 458 but couldnt get myself to do it. I'll probably get the 458 next yr (I always say next yr)

Just read through this thread. I have to disagree with the many who claim the gen 2 is a bargain, especially because it's a "sport hybrid". Being a sport hybrid only earns you a premium if it puts out performance superior to an equivalent internal combustion vehicle. Being priced higher than a Porsche GT3, and similar to a GTR NISMO, Audi R8, and Mclaren 570 it suddenly doesn't have that much to offer (considering it's not as fast as any of those cars). It's definitely not faster than a 488 (the equivalent of the 308/328 when the first NSX came out).

Acura screwed up thinking this car was going to sell purely based on the fact that it's an NSX. You can't create a platform based on nostalgia for a previously amazing product. The new iteration needs to be at least as amazing in modern day context!

We have to remember the first NSX was usable, faster than its competitors from Porsche and Ferrari, less expensive, more reliable, and less complex. This current car achieves none of that.

The original NSX was never faster than all the above named competitors it was more reliable and looked exotic. Most of the people on here that claim the 2nd gen car isn't as fast as others either have not driven a gen2 or have and were trying to shift it themselves. Good luck shifting a 9 speed DCT yourself.

The comment about not being as fast as a Audi R8 is incorrect the NSX is faster than the current R8 V10 and will literally destroy it. The only R8 that is faster and is slightly is the R8 V10 plus which is a 200k plus car. Same goes for the porsche GT3 The only car mentioned above that would have an advantage is the 570s

The NSX base model is a bargain especially with discount.

Here is a legit comparison between a 570 and an NSX by an owner not someone who drove the car once at its supposed limits at some event. Hopefully this helps some of you guys out.

https://youtu.be/4KLdEFsQl04

Last edited:
The McLaren is the only aforementioned similarly priced car that is subjectively better looking than the NSX as they are very close in dimension and size while also edging it out in performance due the disparity in curb weight. The German cars cannot contest in looks IMO albeit having many years of evolution and refinement ala 911.

Back