• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Washing Underside of Hood?

The underside of my hood is rather dirty. I think at some point some windshield washer fluid sprayed all over, which can happen if it's full.

Any tips for washing it? I suppose I can just wash it like you would any car surface, but I'm thinking that the wash water won't drain out of it because of the reinforcing ribs (or whatever you call them). Then I close the hood and what, it all drips on everything in the front compartment?

Looking for any suggestions (which will be much appreciated)...

I use simple green and a cloth rag.

Nothing Different

I am a bit amazed that in 14? years of NSX ownership you have not encountered this before.

Regardless, in half those years that I was an NSXer, I washed the underside of the hood as normal. I kept the hood propped up to let Mother Nature's gravity remove most of the water, followed by hand-drying the residual water droplets with a (dirty, filthy, sandy, oily, disgusting :biggrin: ) cotton towel that was donated to me by an NSXPO hotel. :tongue:

I wash mine like the rest of the car, and as suggested keep it proped up for a while to drain. In fact, I do it every time I was my car.

I also use a spray detailer under there when I am doing the rest of the car. I do go a little nuts at times. I take the spare out and detail it, etc.

Dtrigg said:
I wash mine like the rest of the car, and as suggested keep it proped up for a while to drain. In fact, I do it every time I was my car.

I also use a spray detailer under there when I am doing the rest of the car. I do go a little nuts at times. I take the spare out and detail it, etc.

My God, Thats scary, the only time my spare sees light of day is when I have a flat. :biggrin:

Dtrigg said:
I do go a little nuts at times. I take the spare out and detail it, etc.

I go nuts doing that too (I'm sure many could confess to doing the same).

For underhood cleaning (when really dirty), I use 50/50 solution of Simple Green + water and a rag (or MF towel). Then "rinse" with a rag/towel of just water to get any cleaner residue off. If its not too dirty, just hit it with quick detailer. Of course, dry it. Finally finish it off with a coat of wax so its easier to clean next time. This takes a little longer, but is worth the effort.

This is what I use under the hood, trunk, door jams and other places a hose might be difficult to use.
I have used most of the PB products and have yet to find one I didn't like.
The wheel sealant is excellent!

You can always use a leaf blower to get the water out after you wash it.

Nate in DC

It depends on how dirty it is. The underside of the OE hood is painted and cleared. As with any auto painted surface, it's a two step process thou. Clean and detail.

If there is heavy abrasive debris or even if it is moderately dirty then I'd start by washing it first to save time. If it is minor, then dilluted simple green, or mild soap and warm water and fine to get it off. If you are seeing heavy chemical deposits or staining then you'll have to tackle them case by case possibly using more professional finishing standards to remove them. BTW, you can use compressed air to blow water out between the ribbing so you don't get water spots.

Once clean, a microfiber cloth coupled with detailers mist, wax, whatever... and you can detail it to your satisfaction. Break out the cotton swabs if you want. :biggrin:

Well, how about this twist. The right to center underside of the hood (driver side) ie, from the edge of the pop light to the center latch seems to get water spots. I have tried all types of cleaners, even initially waxed that area but to no avail. It keeps getting dirty.

Is this a common/normal with other NSXs, or a hood adjustment issue or what? TIA

Hrant said:
Well, how about this twist. The right to center underside of the hood (driver side) ie, from the edge of the pop light to the center latch seems to get water spots. I have tried all types of cleaners, even initially waxed that area but to no avail. It keeps getting dirty.
Are you sure it's not windshield washer fluid (or maybe you have water in your WWF reservoir)? That's the problem I'm having, and I think it's fairly common when the WWF reservoir is filled up to the top (perhaps when combined with track use). Fluid sprays out the top of the reservoir onto the underside of the hood. And the reservoir is located on the driver's side.

nsxtasy said:
Are you sure it's not windshield washer fluid (or maybe you have water in your WWF reservoir)? That's the problem I'm having, and I think it's fairly common when the WWF reservoir is filled up to the top (perhaps when combined with track use). Fluid sprays out the top of the reservoir onto the underside of the hood. And the reservoir is located on the driver's side.

That is my problem as well. Since the fluid is aqua, I can tell that it is sloshing out if I have a spirited drive. I never use the wipers or washing fluid so I guess I should just empty it.
That area is always the very last part of the car I wipe because of the windshield cleaning fluid leak/slosh. How does it leak? Is there a hole in the cap or something?

Hrant said:
Excellent. Now how do we clean the spots :redface:

Hrant, I agree with John in post 10. It really depends on just how dirty that area may be. If it is filthy, perhaps treat it like an engine bay. If it is just a little dirty maybe a spray/waterless wash like PB's spray and wash. If just dust or a little washer fluid I would try a QD spray. Most of the time I just remove the spots left from the washer rsvr with my damp MF drying towel.

I am a little hesitant to use simple green under the hood but diluted well it would probably be fine. I had a problem once with SG on paint but maybe I didn't have it diluted properly.

The spots I am referring to look like milky water spots. I have used diluted degreaser (1:3 ratio), 50/50 alcohol to no avail. My next step is to try some swirl remover and see if that is strong enough. Most likely the soapy fluid in the WWF has etched the surface paint/clear.

Ken,

I was SHOCKED that YOU have a question :eek: .

I have/had the same problem with my window washer fluid reservoir spilling during "spirited" driving (haven't been to the track yet). My solution was to keep it nearly empty (I have never used it). The problem has since resolved.

I also clean the underside of my hood with (Meguires) detail solution on a towel, usually when I wax it (twice a year). It works well.

Dave

For the water spots, I'd try a clay bar too. When in doubt, try clay. You will be amazed at what it can do!

I clean under the hood and engine compartment every time I wash the car. It makes it easier to keep clean.

Back