• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

water leaking into engine bay

hey Gang, I am not an owner as of yet, but have been looking for a while. I have inspected 2 cars for purchase and both of them have had water sitting in the engine bay cover tray. Is this normal?
I passed on the first car because of this issue- I was buying the car from a distance and had an acura dealership inspecting the car. They told me there was water leaking into the engine bay, and advised me the car had likely been in a collision, so I accepted this reasoning and passed on the purchase. Now I am inspecting a 2nd car and it has the same issue! Is this something that is common?
The 2nd car I saw in person, and it had about 2 cups of water in the tray below the cover. The car is in excellent condition, and the seals around the glass appear to fit with no gaps.
Any help?

That is not normal. Have not heard or ever seen that problem.

What was the owner's explanation?
Are you sure it is water?
Any spraying on engine glass or underside of engine cover that maybe indicates a leak in engine bay?
Is it possible to collect that much water via condensation depending on climate? Like parking outside in countryside and getting morning fog/dew everyday?

Hi Tex, No explanation, the car has a collision on its car fax, but I was surprised to see the water, it just seems odd that i have seen this same issue on 2 separate occasions. It was far too much water to be condensation in our climate.

Hi Tex, No explanation, the car has a collision on its car fax, but I was surprised to see the water, it just seems odd that i have seen this same issue on 2 separate occasions. It was far too much water to be condensation in our climate.

Fair enough. If the seals check out, the hatch fits true, no obvious leaks in engine bay and you are not in a foggy climate...There is a chance it was as innocent as simply collected water from a careless car wash/cleaning? After all, since you went to look at car I am sure they probably washed it and possibly did the engine bay as well. Some people are careless in the use of pressure washers and water can get just about anywhere.

I have managed to get water collected in the targa tray in only two ways:
1. Took top off immediately after a rain, and the top was still wet and covered in water and naturally ran off and collected in tray.
2. Engine bay cleaning, holding low pressure hose in one hand while reaching around scrubbing things and not realizing where the hose was pointing.

Good luck

you mean the targe holder.... or the rear valve covers? water gets into the targa cover when washing or pressure washing.. or if you open the glass after you wash the car it drips into the cover if open... if you mean water on the rear valve cover that's normal.

read this article as to not pass on any other perfectly OK cars..

http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/htup-0810-acura-nsx-buyers-guide/

goodluck

I agree, likely scenario was high-power wash, which by the way should never be done on this car, IMHO.

If you look carefully, there are shims on the trunk striker, take one of them out, it will give you a "tighter" seal. There should be at least 2 or 3 from factory.

Last edited:
Yes the water was in the targa top holder. Looking at the design, I couldn't see how water could get in there from a pressure washer. I don't have it parked in my garage, so I can't go and look again.Is it reasonable that 2 cups of water could get in from pressure washing the car?

It's virtually impossible for water to get into the Targa top holder based on the design and if the seals that are installed around the Clam shell is intact. I would guess that either the seal is missing or someone open the rear Glass and water poured into the Targa top holder. I would check and make sure the rubber seal is installed and it does not have any cuts. Pictures would help too.

Water does does get into the Engine bay and onto the Valve cover, through the plastic garnish at the base of the rear Glass engine cover, especially if one use a high pressure hose, or the car is parked on an incline.

Bram

Back