• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

way to keep the seat perfect?

I see with a lot of NSX's the seats get really messed up after the years (cracked or really wrinkled) but some seen to stay in good condition even if they are old (maybe replaced?). Sooooo whats the secret to keep them in great shape? Seat covers dont count tho lol

Last edited:
Good question. When I bought my car at 56K miles, the driver's bolster was almost like new. Now, at 115K miles, it has suffered quite a bit.

I've always tried when entering and exiting the car to avoid putting more pressure on the bolster than necessary, but that wasn't enough over 5 years of daily driving.

What we really need is a clear bra for the bolster!

As for the rest of the seat, I think normal leather care is all that's needed. Other than the bolster my seats look terrific.

a little baby oil mixed with water. Spay it on 3 days in a row-once or maybe twice a year is sufficient.

I just did my Porsche again and this time I heated the mix in the microwave
and put it on with a wash cloth.

Smells nice too.

I used to use simple black shoe polish to keep the bolster nice and shiny.

About once every two months.
However, even though it will keep the color a nice black, it will not counter the abrasion effect of climbing in and out of the car.

I use quite a bit of baby oil-maybe 1/3 oil 2/3 water.The theory is that the water opens the pores and lets the oil in.

The other thing when mixing---if you use the car every day you want it to
soak in before sitting on them with a suit etc.

Too much really can't hurt anything-

Its in the way you enter/exit the car.
Dont drag your behind across the seat, use your left hand on the sill to lift yourself up before exiting the car.Pull yourself up with your right hand on the windshield pillar.
Enter with your right arm on the roof position your self over the center of the seat and lower.
No rub = no wear.

a little baby oil mixed with water. Spay it on 3 days in a row-once or maybe twice a year is sufficient.

I just did my Porsche again and this time I heated the mix in the microwave
and put it on with a wash cloth.

Smells nice too.

Baby oil and water interesting! I will be giving that a try a clear bra for the bolster is a good idea also but might look weird

I've always tried when entering and exiting the car to avoid putting more pressure on the bolster than necessary, but that wasn't enough over 5 years of daily driving.

Put your hand over the seat bolster BEFORE you get in the car and rub your butt on the back of your hand as you get in. Do the same before getting out of the car.

Keeps the seat perfect and your skin is exfoliated for free.

On the parts of the seat the rub due to seat belts etc...get some leather dye and shoe polish. Make sure you rub off the polish or it will get on your clothes. Do this when you see the actual leather, the dye is actually abates keeping the leather whole.

Also, I put leather crap (available from nearly any place) on the seat a few times a year...just rub slather it on with your bare hands and let it dry over night.

My 91 seats look near new.

maint'...

Read this, this, this, and this. For ongoing protection, I have a fitted terry/elastic seat-bolsters' cover that was offered a few years ago as a group buy. It's not very elegant nor aesthetically appealing, but it's effective. . .

Last edited:
Its in the way you enter/exit the car.
Dont drag your behind across the seat, use your left hand on the sill to lift yourself up before exiting the car.Pull yourself up with your right hand on the windshield pillar.
Enter with your right arm on the roof position your self over the center of the seat and lower.
No rub = no wear.

+1 right

Getting in/out is critical for the seat but it looks not very cool at the gas station doing 'gymnastics'. I use a bath towel over the whole seat which also takes the sweating in summer. Ok, sometimes it feels like s.. with a cond... :tongue:
Mine show near to none wear (only some very fine cracks) on my 91.

I think i've mastered the rolling-out-of-car technique. I pretty much look like a ballerina exiting that thing. My 91 side bolsters still looks new however where i'm seeing the wear are in the seams. I can see the leather starting to give way there. It's really minor now but it will only get worse.

I use Lexol Leather Conditioner every 3 months or so. It never bakes in the sun but it is drier here in California.

ALWAYS !!!!!!!!!! move the seat all the way back on entering and exiting. I do this on all my vehicles and the seats look as good as new. I also use Griots Leather Care every 3-4 weeks on the daily driver(2002 Acura RLblack/black-40k and 2006 Honda Pilot EXL steel blue/charcoal-30k). I use Griots Leather Rejuvenator every 6 mo and Leather Care every 3 mo on the garage queen(91 NSX silver/black-45k).

ALWAYS !!!!!!!!!! move the seat all the way back on entering and exiting.
I wonder how long the seat motor and/or switch would last if I did that. I guess an average of 30 times a week times 52 weeks times 5 years and counting. I'd be well over 7000 cycles on the seat, probably much more.

I think I'll just re-upholster as needed. :)

My 91 seats have also resisted bolster wear pretty nicely. Just getting the fine cracks/wrinkles in the leather.

What I do is always lift the steering wheel to full height and then use it to pull myself out without rubbing on the bolster. :smile:

Because I've been doing this for so long, I've become quite good at it and people do not notice the gymnastics. :biggrin:

Worn leather is a good sign. It's not like the stuff is going to last forever and I'm sure that many of us don't maintain the seats properly. I know I've never conditioned the leather in any of the cars that I've ever owned. My NSX is the first car that I re-did the seats in and that's because it's the only car that I've owned more than three years. I say enjoy the car and just plop your fat a$$ down and drive.

My 91 seats have also resisted bolster wear pretty nicely. Just getting the fine cracks/wrinkles in the leather.

What I do is always lift the steering wheel to full height and then use it to pull myself out without rubbing on the bolster. :smile:

Because I've been doing this for so long, I've become quite good at it and people do not notice the gymnastics. :biggrin:

i would STRONGLY advise against using the steering wheel for leverage when getting out- the previous owner of my car did that and i had to replace every plastic bushing on the steering column as they were all cracked and loose.
i found that the easiest way to get out is to grab the A-pillar with your right hand and use it for support- that way you can keep your butt from sliding over the bolster etc.

^^^ Better yet...Don't get out!

I took mine out and replaced them with Recaros. The OEM seats are lovingly cared for and stored in a closet. They'll stay there until I can find someone who can match the OEM silver leather.

hmmm.....leather=skin.............noxema:cool:

Start doing squats or leg press and make sure to get your butt down past your knees, it will help controlling your body and you won't "fall" into the seat anymore. Although the first week of doing them you may fall onto or off the toilet seat depending on your luck! Alternatively, just use your hand as a fulcrum by placing it on the door sill when entering and put your butt in before your legs (reverse the order to get out).

Back