• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What are the chances the NC1 is brought back for 2023?

they stuck to the 350...they seem to be pretty strict about dealers reselling within a year and maintaining integrity of the type S ie not going to sell parts to current NC1 owners to make pseudo type S...

2023 encore? We know other super manufacturers have done it in the name of more profit... Ahem McLaren..ahem.

I suppose the assumption is here is that Acura is profiting from the NC1.

0% chance...The NC1 NSX was never a money maker for ACURA...

I wish they would do a NSX Type R version, by chopping off 500lb off the car and removing those electric motors because they are heavy comparee to the modest power they provide.

super duper modest :(

0% chance...The NC1 NSX was never a money maker for ACURA...

I wish they would do a NSX Type R version, by chopping off 500lb off the car and removing those electric motors because they are heavy comparee to the modest power they provide.

First, I agree that this is the end of the NC1 NSX. As for removing the electric motors you can purchase the race car now that is sans the electric motors. There is no way they will pursue an all ICE NSX, given the strong market emphasis on going electric. That is the direction! Look at Ferrari, they just introduced a new plugin hybrid at around a base of $315k. I would not even see Acura producing a new light weight version of the NC1. I am sure they could pull out 300 pounds of weight. While many of us would get excited, it is not enough to start the whole process again. This is really it.

First, I agree that this is the end of the NC1 NSX. As for removing the electric motors you can purchase the race car now that is sans the electric motors. There is no way they will pursue an all ICE NSX, given the strong market emphasis on going electric. That is the direction! Look at Ferrari, they just introduced a new plugin hybrid at around a base of $315k. I would not even see Acura producing a new light weight version of the NC1. I am sure they could pull out 300 pounds of weight. While many of us would get excited, it is not enough to start the whole process again. This is really it.

Manny's right. Now we just wait for Gen 3.

there is definitely a market for a all electric supercar in the 200k range...

there is definitely a market for a all electric supercar in the 200k range...

Plug in electric is too pedestrian for Honda. I think it will incorporate fuel cell. They like to use the NSX to demonstrate new technology. Plug-in electric is kinda yesterday's news thanks to Tesla. We know Honda is working hard on its FCEV architecture, it seems reasonable they would want to showcase it on a super sports halo model first. Japan is building a massive hydrogen infrastructure over the next 20 years.

https://hbr.org/sponsored/2021/03/how-japans-hydrogen-innovations-may-fuel-cleaner-days-ahead

Obviously a roadblock is a similar infrastructure here in the US.

Last edited:
Lol I'm a caveman when it comes to non ice...its all the same to me ...how the electrons fly around is beyond my understanding...fire and explosions I can wrap my head around:)

0%.

I dont think Acura is profiting from the NC1.

Sadly Acura was a hair too early to the party the hybrid supercar party.

docjohn said:
how the electrons fly around is beyond my understanding...

Wait...aren't you a radiologist? :D

The promise of FCEV is that you can make the battery packs much smaller because the fuel cells will continuously charge them back up as you drive. In theory, you can get the EV high performance of a Tesla with the range of a petrol car.

bremsstrahlung my friend...

My understanding is that FCEV in the works for heavy duty trucks with defined routes but not yet ready for the masses. Could be good for a cool super car. Big issues are of course low pollution, energy efficient source of hydrogen and distribution infrastructure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuel cell technology is not ready for prime time. I don’t expect it to be a thing for probably another 5 years. While it sounds wonderful taking the most abundant element in our universe and harnessing the energy, it is still a work in process. The current process is to generate electricity and then charge the battery and eventually power the vehicle with an electric motor. Fuel cell vehicles cannot get out of their own way at present let alone perform like a supercar. The supercar from Acura would have 4 motors which is where the tech would come from also including the software. It would need a reasonable range and the ability to fast charge quickly enough to make track use workable. A $200k electric supercar would be a game changer. It is a small market segment which is why Tesla has not pushed forward with their car. They can sell 25000 model s and model x vehicles. So why develop a car that would maybe sell 2500 units?

Slim and none.

But as was told to us at NSXPO last summer, the NSX name is not dead. Can’t wait to see what Hondacura comes up with next.

The NC1 is done after the Type S. Actually, all NSX Type S cars are required by Honda to be off the PMC production line by Dec 31, 2022, or there will be some serious issues. New EPA regulations that take affect on January 1, 2023 would render the NC1 noncompliant with EPA regulations, and it would take a lot of time and money to make the car compliant that Honda doesn't want to deal with.

The NC1 is done after the Type S. Actually, all NSX Type S cars are required by Honda to be off the PMC production line by Dec 31, 2022, or there will be some serious issues. New EPA regulations that take affect on January 1, 2023 would render the NC1 noncompliant with EPA regulations, and it would take a lot of time and money to make the car compliant that Honda doesn't want to deal with.
I had never thought of it from that angle. Thanks for the 411

I had never thought of it from that angle. Thanks for the 411

What is even more interesting... Production at PMC has apparently stopped and they are now behind schedule - however PMC has not officially confirmed this. So my question is, what if all the NSX Type S cars are not produced by Dec 31st due to supply issues? What happens then??? Will the total cars go from 350 to 2XX and everyone gets a new engine cover delivered to correct the production numbers? Those that had allocations but their cars were not built are just shit out of luck? It's kind of scary to think about how the EPA can kill a car, but I don't understand how or why, since it's a hybrid. Maybe someone smarter than me can explain.

What is even more interesting... Production at PMC has apparently stopped and they are now behind schedule - however PMC has not officially confirmed this. So my question is, what if all the NSX Type S cars are not produced by Dec 31st due to supply issues? What happens then??? Will the total cars go from 350 to 2XX and everyone gets a new engine cover delivered to correct the production numbers? Those that had allocations but their cars were not built are just shit out of luck? It's kind of scary to think about how the EPA can kill a car, but I don't understand how or why, since it's a hybrid. Maybe someone smarter than me can explain.
My uneducated guess points me to think the EPA will grant an extension.

Emissions regs are a real thing..The main reason the DDHC was a 21 only model was because the HC engine in the Durango platform was noncompliant with evap emission's standards for SUV in 22..

The auto manufacturer determines when the model year change over occurs. Some will switch over early in the year while others will not change over till the end of the year. As long as the cars are designated as 2022s then there is no issue. If they tried to call the last few 2023s then perhaps there would be some problems with EPA and other Government Agencies. All the Vins are determined and documented. If there were an issue Acura could bring in additional people and work during the second shift. So I can not imagine an issue that will prevent Acura from completing this run of cars.

Imagine if the Cosworth Plant burned down and the casting molds were destroyed. Then the Acura factory burned to the ground. The last cars produced would be the end, whether or not all 350 cars were produced. Thinking otherwise is silly.

Last edited:
The issue is likely just to be the wait for your car.

The 2017 cars were build for like a year and a half.

For the LFA, Lexus designated all 500 as 2012 MY cars and build them over close to 2 years.

New EPA regulations that take affect on January 1, 2023 would render the NC1 noncompliant with EPA regulations, and it would take a lot of time and money to make the car compliant that Honda doesn't want to deal with.

This is the first i've heard of this... Care to elaborate?

Back