• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What brakes are you running? (people w/FI engines)

I put this in the FI forum because I have a supercharged car. So I want answers from people who also have FI cars. I hope this makes sense to the moderators.

I have done some searching, and asking of people here and there. But my dilema is finding quality, size, and budget friendly brakes. Without sacrificing the three mentioned.

My front wheels are the Volk GT-V, size 17"

A brake setup I've taken into consideration is:
Racing Brake BB Conversion (new 2 peice rotors & brackets, no calipers) $1230

I'm looking for people's experience, and knowledge on this. I'd like to keep the cost at or under $1700-$1500, yet have a brake setup that doesn't over heat easily, and fits with my wheel size, but doesn't break the bank.:biggrin:

I put this in the FI forum because I have a supercharged car. So I want answers from people who also have FI cars. I hope this makes sense to the moderators.

I have done some searching, and asking of people here and there. But my dilema is finding quality, size, and budget friendly brakes. Without sacrificing the three mentioned.

My front wheels are the Volk GT-V, size 17"

A brake setup I've taken into consideration is:
Racing Brake BB Conversion (new 2 peice rotors & brackets, no calipers) $1230

I'm looking for people's experience, and knowledge on this. I'd like to keep the cost at or under $1700-$1500, yet have a brake setup that doesn't over heat easily, and fits with my wheel size, but doesn't break the bank.:biggrin:

I have not used the setup you are talking about.

I have tracked instructed in an NSX equipped with this Science Of Speed upgrade.
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/braking_performance_parts/NSX/Racing_Brake/oversized_rotor_upgrade/

It did very well for such an inexpensive upgrade. It had some additional stopping power that I noted. But... It was VERY good a cooling down between hard braking zones.

It works with 17" rims and has replacement rotors available. I was also surprised to see they come with a complete replacement caliper bracket. Other kits I have seen just have a flat plate to relocate the caliper out.

For $1,270 it is a very nice setup.

Scott

Last edited:
I had the RB setup on the front only. I didn't have it for a long long time though. I did notice that the setup was a little front bias with the stock setup and pads on the rear. I think given more time I would have tried a more aggressive pad on the rear to see if balanced it out.

I have the RB front and rear with Carbotech Panther Plus pads and Motul 660 brake fluid. I track my car about 10 times a year and really like my setup.

To reply to sstarkey, and v8killer...

I'm currently running SS goodridge braided brake lines, Motul fluid, and Hawk HP pads. It sounds like the Racing Brake setup is what I am going to stick with. It was recomended to me by a guy (sorry don't remember name) at Science of Speed, as a good setup for me. I don't track my car, but do have "car cruises" where I've noticed quick overheating of my OE rotors.

The overheating hurt my braking, and caused me to have extended stopping distances. I think the RB BB conversion should help me reduce this issue. I just happened to notice it get worse once I added the Comptech SC to the car. But I expected that, and was sure to keep an eye on the increased stopping zone that I needed to give myself.

It sounds like I'm on the right track, but I still like to do my "real world research" as much as possible before I buy products.
I appreciate everyones input. It was exactly what I was looking for!:biggrin:

I guess you didn't see Billy's pictures of the RB hats and rotors seperating. Maybe a fluke but.... didn't look too good.

Based on Cost vs. Performance value, I have always used StopTechs. 4 wheel StopTechs allowed me to run well over 80 2.2 mile laps consistently with no fade or other issues a few weeks ago. This is with the four wheel system, no E-brake.

For street car applications, the StopTech front system is a huge upgrade over the stock NSX brakes. I was able to haul down from 180mph+ relatively easily several times with the old car.

We are able to source these if you're interested.

I guess you didn't see Billy's pictures of the RB hats and rotors seperating. Maybe a fluke but.... didn't look too good.

3 years and probably 50+ hard track days on my Racing Brake 2 pc rotors with no problems. The only thing I don't like about them is they don't play well with certain compounds.... Carbotech for one.

3 years and probably 50+ hard track days on my Racing Brake 2 pc rotors with no problems. The only thing I don't like about them is they don't play well with certain compounds.... Carbotech for one.

Had the first set ever made for the NSX, run them for 2+ years with some 40 track days using Carbotech AX6 with no issues. But perhaps with XP8/10 they would.

I started out with the RB upgrade as well. It did very well for what it cost as an upgrade. Was running a SC at the time with 385 rwhp.

I have since gone up to 593 rwhp and to Brembo's using Carbotech XP-8 front and XP-10 rear.

Love the set up....Brakes feel great, no fade and all the stopping power I need without any problems with rotors so far.

The only thing I don't like about them is they don't play well with certain compounds.... Carbotech for one.

Why not Jim?

I still think this is scary. I realize the chances are low.... but it is your BRAKES:

IMG_0264.jpg

Last edited:
Why not Jim?

Something that has to do with the incompatibility of the RB rotor material and Carbotech pads. It causes pad material deposits and hot spots. Didn't have this problem with Hawk HP+ or Cobalt Friction XR3 on the RB rotor, but did with XP8s and XP10s.

Dave, there are numerous Primers plus many others that track with RB rotors and haven't had a problem. Billy did. I have seen/heard of other rotors failing as well, including Brembo, Stoptech, etc. However, I think Billy's main point was that RB's customer service sucked when this happened. They had no interest in examining the failure and determining the cause or trying to help Billy out. Big mistake. I know they lost your business and probably a few others. Save a nickel to loose a couple grand in sales. Sounds like they should be running an airline. :tongue:

I think the point here is that YES racing brake has TERRIBLE customer service , they are unfortunately one of the only sources if you want a low cost alternative to brembo or stoptech.

I try my best to help people on a daily basis and it is just too bad that some companies don't feel the same.

If I can avoid racing brake, I will.

To answer the OP's question, I am currently on stoptechs all around but have pretty bad squeal after 3 different pad compounds and now about to try the 4th.

Good news is stoptech (centric) has EXCELLENT customer service!

I upgraded my brakes to the Racing Brake brakes with the oversized two-piece 324x28mm rotors in the front and the 1997+ 303x23mm rotors in the rear using Hawk HP+ pads some time ago.

I considered it a big improvement over the stock brakes, mainly because the bite of the HP+ pads with the larger rotors gave me an instantenious response to my input which the OEM brakes did not. I did not feel any hesitance to step heavily on my brakes, even at 150 mph.
I did however manage to wear out a set of front rotors within 10K miles.
The second set lasted much better, but I also switch to the Hawk HPS pads which are much less agressive.

I think I will try a Carbotech pad maybe next time or otherwise go back to the HP+ pads in the future.

If your budget is limited I think the RB set is a good set. I am not that worried about the rotors breaking loose. I have seen that happen on brand new OEM NSX rotors as well.

For track use, spend the money once. buy the best.

you get what you pay for. you shouldn't be going for the cheapest option.

I probably have over kill, brembo monoblock metal matrix 8 piston front & rear.

For track use, spend the money once. buy the best.

you get what you pay for. you shouldn't be going for the cheapest option.

I probably have over kill, brembo monoblock metal matrix 8 piston front & rear.

I assume those 8 piston calipers have a lot more piston area than oem calipers. Did you have to enlarge the brake master cylinder bore to avoid having to push the pedal a mile in order to transfer sufficient fluid volume you need to move the caliper pistons?

I'm waiting for stoptech or someone else to make some ceramics. Movit has them now but... $16,000... or a brand new Honda Fit. I have a hard time justifying that. It just would be cool to also save 60 pounds of weight.

I vouch for Stoptech as well....Steve Hughes is a great guy and knows his stuff.

Back