• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What can I do to make my NSX "GROWL" more? :)

Well I have a 04 nsx and it's pretty much stock except for the GT ROM 5.1 stainless exhaust on there.

I'm not looking to wake the neighbors or NOT be able to pass SMOG. I'm looking for something that will give the car a throatier sound at WOT but once I'm cruising the sound goes away. Ideas?

Would a high quality Intake system help? I would love to replace the headers but it's out of my budget and I really don't want to touch the engine too much. Looking for bolt on mods only.

rk

From what I have read intakes don't really do anything noticable besides drain your wallet. A set of high flow cats would probably help. They are less restrictive and bolt on. Then you wont find soot on your back bumper like test pipes.

I'm running the GT-One 5.1 with taitec test pipes right now and it definately growls :) It won't wake up the neighbours if you keep it under 3500 RPM. That's normally what I do when I come home late at night and it's no big deal.

You gotta get rid of the test pipes in order to open it up. Maybe you should consider hi-flow cats if you're worried about emissions. What I do is just pop back in the stock cats every time I have to go for emissions.

Whats with the odd ball link? It tries to download something to my computer.

LoL, good thing you fixed it. Thought I was about to be flooded with who knows what......

Last edited:
Rick, get a Downforce AIS. Losing cats is very loud, and not necessarily a growl. The AIS will give you growl past V-Tec. Its $140 and a 10 minute install. It will give you a couple of ponies to boot.

Rick, get a Downforce AIS. Losing cats is very loud, and not necessarily a growl. The AIS will give you growl past V-Tec. Its $140 and a 10 minute install. It will give you a couple of ponies to boot.

x2, best investment yet... The installation took me 15 minutes though! :biggrin:

Last edited:
x2, best investment yet... The installation took me 15 minutes though! :biggrin:

+1. You don't have to be in the upper RPM band to hear the throatiness once you install the intake scoop. Just get on it, and you'll hear it.

Last edited:
Rick- it's just a matter of time before you do headers and hiflo cats anyways(to get more growl and ponies). The GT 5.1 has been dynoed to actually lose hp despite everyone raving about its design and sound (which no one will even see or hear). Anyways it's also too quiet for me...throw on some test pipes (cheap $150) and decide if you can live with the new sound and smell.

PS) the neighbors will envy you even more

Whats with the odd ball link? It tries to download something to my computer.

LoL, good thing you fixed it. Thought I was about to be flooded with who knows what......

sorry it was bugged lol when i copied pasted something it. I then i came back to check the link posted up was wrong....:rolleyes: my bad dude

Headers+test pipes+GTLW exhaust. Although, I will say that the AIS does offer a nice growl at WOT.

what? GT one 5.1 will not even make you feel your car is loud???

The GT One isn't that loud. The GTLW is. Two different exhaust entirely. The GT One 5.1 is a fantastic sounding exhuast and most agree it's the best sounding next to the Tubi (maybe even better). And it's light.

Can't go wrong with the Dali Rice Rocket exhaust though. 9/10 in loudness for ~$600. Not to be confused with the Dali Wishuponastar which is very quiet.

Throw on the AIS scoop, headers, test pipes and ITBs (ha ha) and you'll have an awfully loud car. I hope you like getting pulled over. :wink:

Thanks for all the posts guys, some of you are funny! I do not want a loud car as I have plenty of those already. Looks like the AIS is exactly what I need, time to call Downforce.

Anyone in the bay area have this little device that I can check out? This is not a permanent mod that requires any cutting correct?

rick

You won't get much growl from the exhaust you have; the GT ROM 5.1.

In order to get a growl from the NSX, you will need different muffler(s).

Back