• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What can I do to make my NSX "GROWL" more? :)

Rick, like others have suggested, to get that throatiness sound, you'll need to do something with the intake. Putting after-market headers on will only make your exhaust louder, which is something that you have said you don't want.

As for the tips, having two tips vs. four really does change the sound a bit. The science of acoustics dictates this. Smaller diameter pipes have a higher resonance fq. and larger diameter pipes have a lower resonance fq.

I went from stock to the DF AIS w/UNI and there is more sound from the intake. It sounded pretty good but you will notice a hissing sound from the intake at certain RPM's. Then i changed to the Weapon R with the end connected to the DF AIS and WOW, what a difference. The intake growl is considerably louder than with the AIS and UNI :biggrin: . Also the annoying high pitched hissing sound i had with the AIS and UNI isn't really noticeable.

I really love the sound.

8e287df2.jpg

As for the 5.1 losing hp debate, I have ver 5.1 with comptech headers and DF intakes. The dyno vs stock was +20rwhp. Comptech headers give at most 5-8rwhp for NA2 and DF intakes maybe 2-3rwhp at best. So 5.1 adds 8-10rwhp. The dyno shop didn't sell me or install the mods so they coud care less what my #'s were. I'm not defending the exhaust since I spent 3k on it because I could have sold it easily and gotten tubi's or whatever else instead.

As for sound, I had test pipes which just made a raspy noise, not deeper growl and didn't make it high pitch either. Just plain loud. Now I have Random's high flow cats which is almost as loud but made it more high pitch and a deeper growl. There is some rasp but not as much as the test pipes. Intakes don't really make a difference imo, just gives a swoosh sound when stopping is all I noticed. The growl is mostly from the headers though so I recommend you to just wait and save up for a set.

Last edited:
Last edited:
It's funny how everyone jumps all over the GT-One 5.1 exhaust as potentially costing 1 hp but are also quick to suggest installation of Weapon-R and GM intakes that are almost guaranteed to sap at least 1hp.

Personally, if I were going to lose 1hp I'd rather have a fantastic exhaust over some growl/suck noise that only I can hear because I sit in front of the intake area.

It's funny how everyone jumps all over the GT-One 5.1 exhaust as potentially costing 1 hp but are also quick to suggest installation of Weapon-R and GM intakes that are almost guaranteed to sap at least 1hp.

Personally, if I were going to lose 1hp I'd rather have a fantastic exhaust over some growl/suck noise that only I can hear because I sit in front of the intake area.

As far as i know i was the only one to suggest the Weapon-R and i have never said anything bad about the GT One 5.1, I love the sound it makes. Also with the Weapon-R butted up to the DF AIS i can hear it echo from the concrete divider on the interstate, so it's not a sound that only i can hear :rolleyes: .

Almost guaranteed is not guaranteed

Last edited:
GT-One v.2 will solve your problem.

As far as i know i was the only one to suggest the Weapon-R and i have never said anything bad about the GT One 5.1, I love the sound it makes. Also with the Weapon-R butted up to the DF AIS i can hear it echo from the concrete divider on the interstate, so it's not a sound that only i can hear :rolleyes: .

Almost guaranteed is not guaranteed

I think it's wonderful that it makes a sound you like and the comment was not directed entirely at you. I do not recall you knocking the GT-One.

It was a statement of fact, which is aftermarket intakes hurt performance just as much or more than the GT-One exhaust has been shown to. When it comes to that, I am indeed a know-it-all since I know of no evidence that any intake is more efficient than the stock airbox and know of much evidence to the contrary. By almost guaranteed I mean to say you might not show a power loss but there will not be any gains over the stock airbox, I promise you. I hope that is a straight enough story.

I simply found it ironic how much debate there was regarding the GT-One (which sounds fantastic) vs. AM intakes that may similarly hurt performance but also subjectively improve the sound. No one wants to admit their cool, expensive intake isn't as good as the stock airbox but are so eager to knock the GT-One whose sound I'd take any day over a "whoosh" that can only be heard inside the car.

When you're flying past someone at 65 mph I don't think it's the whoosh sound of your intake they're going to remember. They're only hearing what you hear if they're running along side you and at more than 5 feet away all someone is going to be able to distinguish is exhaust anyway. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think it's wonderful that it makes a sound you like and the comment was not directed entirely at you. I do not recall you knocking the GT-One.

It was a statement of fact, which is aftermarket intakes hurt performance just as much or more than the GT-One exhaust has been shown to. When it comes to that, I am indeed a know-it-all since I know of no evidence that any intake is more efficient than the stock airbox and know of much evidence to the contrary. By almost guaranteed I mean to say you might not show a power loss but there will not be any gains over the stock airbox, I promise you. I hope that is a straight enough story.

I simply found it ironic how much debate there was regarding the GT-One (which sounds fantastic) vs. AM intakes that may similarly hurt performance but also subjectively improve the sound. No one wants to admit their cool, expensive intake isn't as good as the stock airbox but are so eager to knock the GT-One whose sound I'd take any day over a "whoosh" that can only be heard inside the car.

When you're flying past someone at 65 mph I don't think it's the whoosh sound of your intake they're going to remember. They're only hearing what you hear if they're running along side you and at more than 5 feet away all someone is going to be able to distinguish is exhaust anyway. :rolleyes:

I purchased my intake used here on prime so it wasn't expensive. Since i installed the Spoon exhaust i can't even hear it anyway, LOUD!!! :biggrin:.

Rick, get a Downforce AIS. Losing cats is very loud, and not necessarily a growl. The AIS will give you growl past V-Tec. Its $140 and a 10 minute install. It will give you a couple of ponies to boot.
Where did you find it for $140? I only see it for $200+.

How about the GTROM F1 Headers? I'm sure that would be a great addition to your exhaust and add some hiflo cats :D

I think the "horsepower loss" issue has gone through an evolution of the facts which has some people confused. The test I personally witnessed where the 5.1 "lost horsepower" was not vs a stock exhaust, it was vs a Taitec GTLW (the car was an NA2 with CTSC and headers, the make of which I do not know). The HP loss varied depending on RPM from no loss at all to I think it was like 4 HP. It may have been even less but it was surely less than 5HP. Easily attributable to dyno run variance, but on paper it *did* run what I just described. I really don't think any of us are going to feel 4HP in either direction. The primary purpose of this exhaust isn't the HP anyway, though it is right in the same ballpark as a lot of other exhausts for our cars; it's the sound that people want and it delivers it in spades, IMHO.

What's being said: "the 5.1 loses HP"...
What should be said: "the 5.1 lost HP on one test/configuration vs the GTLW"

J

are there any issues with just removing without putting anything in its place?
Remove the stock snorkel--you don't have to replace it with anything.

This made the intake noise noticeably deeper and a little louder right away. Over time however, I have become used to it. But I remember doing back-to-back tests (on/off) and there was a difference.

I made a post a while back explaining why they have it there in the first place. It is to deaden the sound of the intake. It's called a helmholtz resonator.

Simple job:

Remove the driver's side wheel.

Remove the fender lining. I believe you push in the middle of the tab until it pops out.

Undo the bolts to the snorkel.

remove snorkel.

Replace lining.

replace wheel.

It's great because you actually get a difference in sound without having to buy or replace anything.

I think the "horsepower loss" issue has gone through an evolution of the facts which has some people confused. The test I personally witnessed where the 5.1 "lost horsepower" was not vs a stock exhaust, it was vs a Taitec GTLW (the car was an NA2 with CTSC and headers, the make of which I do not know). The HP loss varied depending on RPM from no loss at all to I think it was like 4 HP. It may have been even less but it was surely less than 5HP. Easily attributable to dyno run variance, but on paper it *did* run what I just described. I really don't think any of us are going to feel 4HP in either direction. The primary purpose of this exhaust isn't the HP anyway, though it is right in the same ballpark as a lot of other exhausts for our cars; it's the sound that people want and it delivers it in spades, IMHO.

What's being said: "the 5.1 loses HP"...
What should be said: "the 5.1 lost HP on one test/configuration vs the GTLW"

J

Well put.

I'm prepared to say that there is some evidence of less hp gain compared to other exhausts such as the GTLW or the CT but that those losses have never been more than 4hp and seem to be around 1-2--all well within the margin of error of any dyno. The 1-2 hp difference seems somewhat consistent so I think there may be something to it.

However, as you noted, this is more about the other exhausts than it is about the 5.1. I think it's more appropriate to say that the GTLW and CT appear to be extremely efficient as opposed to saying the 5.1 is restrictive.

The 5.1 is ostensibly going to improve power significantly from stock and the quality and sound of the exhaust, to me, is worth the possible 1-2 hp less compared to the CT or GTLW.

As I mentioned in previous posts I would be much more concerned about an aftermarket intake of which most perform worse than the stock intake. The 5.1 will definitely perform substantially better than the stock exhaust but maybe not quite as well as the GTLW. If the 1-2 hp is bothering someone that much then simply choose a more efficient exhaust.

I personally would trade 1-2 hp for the quality and sound of the 5.1 any day.

Last edited:
I went from stock to the DF AIS w/UNI and there is more sound from the intake. It sounded pretty good but you will notice a hissing sound from the intake at certain RPM's. Then i changed to the Weapon R with the end connected to the DF AIS and WOW, what a difference. The intake growl is considerably louder than with the AIS and UNI :biggrin: . Also the annoying high pitched hissing sound i had with the AIS and UNI isn't really noticeable.

I really love the sound.

8e287df2.jpg

Oooo mike thats sexy! Where did you pick that up? And how much!

I went from stock to the DF AIS w/UNI and there is more sound from the intake.
8e287df2.jpg

thanks for the post and picture!

I'm going to remove the stock piece as many have suggested to hear the sound difference. I assume you we need to remove the passenger side rear wheel correct?

I'll pull the fender liner and see what's up there but I like your filter element. I might try an HKS "green mushroom" since I like those filters a lot.

rk

thanks for the post and picture!

I'm going to remove the stock piece as many have suggested to hear the sound difference. I assume you we need to remove the passenger side rear wheel correct?

I'll pull the fender liner and see what's up there but I like your filter element. I might try an HKS "green mushroom" since I like those filters a lot.

rk

It's the driver's side fender lining.

It's the driver's side fender lining.

We could have just let him think its on the passenger side and see how far he gets... hahah ;)

"It doesnt fit! wtf is going on?" :biggrin:

just messin w/ ya s4 :)

I really love the sound.

8e287df2.jpg

This intake may look and sound good, but it will suck in hot air from the engine compartment. The OEM and a lot of aftermarket NSX intakes are designed to take in cooler air from outside the engine compartment. IMHO... :smile:

Back