• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What Clutch should I go with.

We do sell the Carbonetics clutch - it is not however in our online catalog. I think it is a fine clutch for a dedicated track car. However, in my experience, it does not make a good clutch for a street car.

Cheers,
-- Chris

no worries.. ive heard many horror stories about RPS so I think I am leaning towards the CT PowerGrip: (plus I dont think I need a twin plate clutch anyways)

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/drivetrain_performance_products/NSX/CT-Engineering/Powergrip/

I think I currently have a CT PowerGrip clutch in my car now.... whats the turn around time and pricing on refurbishing / rebuilding my current clutch (if possible?) thanks!

It depends on what is needed. Usually, the pressure plate and disc is changed with new and the flywheel is resurfaced.

I'm curious what the horror stories are, as the RPS clutch is our top seller by far with 300+ units in the field. You're welcome to drop us a line or discuss here.

Cheers,
-- Chris

It depends on what is needed. Usually, the pressure plate and disc is changed with new and the flywheel is resurfaced.

I'm curious what the horror stories are, as the RPS clutch is our top seller by far with 300+ units in the field. You're welcome to drop us a line or discuss here.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Just from stories I have read on prime... and other vendors who haven't had good luck with the RPS...

So is it worth rebuilding my CT clutch or buying new?

Just from stories I have read on prime... and other vendors who haven't had good luck with the RPS...

So is it worth rebuilding my CT clutch or buying new?

No problem. I can't say that's our experience. We have RPS clutches installed in both our cars here. The only complaint that I am aware of is stiff pedal effort on the single disc clutch. That clutch used the same pressure plate as the Comptech clutch - so it would be the same as what you have now. However, that's now irrelevant with this new dual disc clutch since the pedal effort is just like stock.

Regarding your Comptech clutch, yes, rebuilding it is a fine solution, and less expensive than buying new. If you need help with the parts, just let us know.

Cheers,
-- Chris

No problem. I can't say that's our experience. We have RPS clutches installed in both our cars here. The only complaint that I am aware of is stiff pedal effort on the single disc clutch. That clutch used the same pressure plate as the Comptech clutch - so it would be the same as what you have now. However, that's now irrelevant with this new dual disc clutch since the pedal effort is just like stock.

Regarding your Comptech clutch, yes, rebuilding it is a fine solution, and less expensive than buying new. If you need help with the parts, just let us know.

Cheers,
-- Chris

thanks chris for the explanation... about how long does it take to rebuild my clutch after I send it off to you? (since I would have to coordinate with the shop to remove the clutch and wait and reinstall the newly rebuilt one)... thanks again for all your help! :cool:

Just spoke to John Martin about the CT PowerGrip Clutch and he said that it puts too much pressure on the thrust washers and it puts too much pressure on the crank... I have never heard of this... How big of a deal is this? And if they do wear out, how much of a PITA is it to change out?

He recommended that I get the OEM clutch (twin disc) and have it upgraded by ACT or CenterForce... so I called both ACT and CenterForce and neither of them provide this service anymore. Any other ideas? I have heard really good things about the CT PowerGrip and those people have never heard of any thrust bearing issues... Also what else should I replace along with the Clutch Release and Pilot Bearing Kit? Does the thrust bearing get replaced with that?

Last edited:
The Comptech / CT clutch has been around for 8+ years now and has quite a long history of success. We also had the opportunity last month to rebuild a customer's engine for boost. The car has had a Comptech clutch installed for the past 100k miles and the trust washers looked in excellent condition with the oiling grooves still plainly visible.

regards,
-- Chris

I currently use the Exedy Twin Carbon and am quite happy with it.

looks like no one has the CT PowerGrip clutches in stock.... :frown:

The Comptech / CT clutch has been around for 8+ years now and has quite a long history of success. We also had the opportunity last month to rebuild a customer's engine for boost. The car has had a Comptech clutch installed for the past 100k miles and the trust washers looked in excellent condition with the oiling grooves still plainly visible.

regards,
-- Chris

I would have to agree with this. I just changed a CT- Engineering clutch in a car with 127K miles, it was installed MANY years ago and it was the original verison with the two piece flywheel. The clutch was installed at about 25K miles. It was still working just worn out. The throw out bearing was also pretty worn, maybe indicitive of what Jon Martin referenced, but... 100K+ miles, I'll take it:).

I replaced it with a new CT-Engineering clutch with the newer/better one piece flywheel. I suspect it will last at least as long. Many folks do object to the pedal effort, but that is personal preference.

My $.02

Regards,
LarryB

I would have to agree with this. I just changed a CT- Engineering clutch in a car with 127K miles, it was installed MANY years ago and it was the original verison with the two piece flywheel. The clutch was installed at about 25K miles. It was still working just worn out. The throw out bearing was also pretty worn, maybe indicitive of what Jon Martin referenced, but... 100K+ miles, I'll take it:).

I replaced it with a new CT-Engineering clutch with the newer/better one piece flywheel. I suspect it will last at least as long. Many folks do object to the pedal effort, but that is personal preference.

My $.02

Regards,
LarryB

yea i am ready to buy a CT PG1 right now but I can't seem to find one..... so let me know if anyone has a line on one I can purchase it ASAP! Thx guys for the help! (and sorry to the OP for hijacking his thread lol)

Anyone have any experience with the OS Giken STR Clutch?

http://www.osgiken.net/products/strclutch.html

I spoke to Shad and he says its a really nice clutch.... save for the fact of some noise when engaging the clutch :)

Last edited:
Back