• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What Clutch should I go with.

Hi guys.
Just curious how many high horsepower forced induction NSX
we have out there and what type of clutch you recommend.
I currently have the Spec stage 3+. it is a great clutch, great drivability
but, recently when I took off my 19" I forge with 275/30/19 Yokahoma's
and put on some drag Nitto radials, my clutch started slipping.
Any advice would be great. :confused:

We have the clutch for you as I would love to mention the name there are certain things that sometimes have to be kept a secret I can tell you that it is a tripple carbon clutch, Has stock peddle pressure nice engagement and is actually lighter than the leading clutch on the market. power wise people have made upwards of a 1000whp:biggrin: If you are interested give us a call at the shop.

No real mystery needed in regards to clutch decisions. It really depends on what you are shooting for hp/tq wise and the purpose of your build. Here is what we have used in the past on both the NSX and Supra.

Exedy Twin Carbon held 700hp
Exedy Triple held in excess of 800hp
ClutchMasters Stage 5 in excess of 800hp
Carbonetics makes a triple carbon that will hold 1,000hp
Tiltons triple carbon holds in excess of 1,000hp

Each one has its strong and weak points in regards to drivability, service needs, and cost. Even though we have parted ways with Exedy, the twin carbon remains my personal favorite for high hp application.

Hope this helps!

I am aiming for the 800hp range one day. I am wanting something with a really good drivablility ( little calf workout as possible ).. little chatter as possible,
with a good price. If there is such a clutch.
thanks again guys for the info. I will do my homework. the shop just pulled the tranny out Monday. I have yet swung by to see.

A Tilton can be set up to be similar to stock. Mine is.

Mine has a lite petal. Minimal petal effort.

They are Not cheep about $4500 "parts only"
When worn down you can change the shim. Mine came with 3 shims.

They don't have springs "NO give". You will need to rev match.

No chatter or noise. When it grab that it. Mine don't slip at least with the amount of power my car is making.

I go to the track frequently. I believe this is overkill for the street.

Hope this helps.

Later,
Don

I am aiming for the 800hp range one day. I am wanting something with a really good drivablility ( little calf workout as possible ).. little chatter as possible,
with a good price. If there is such a clutch.
thanks again guys for the info. I will do my homework. the shop just pulled the tranny out Monday. I have yet swung by to see.

Tilton. Easy as the stock, and more holding power than what we've thrown at it (1000 rwhp) so far.

Regards,

Danny

I have a CTSC with 380 whp and I opted for SOS's "upgraded oem" clutch. It handles up to 350 ft/lbs torque and maintains stock effort and feel. Great clutch for aggressive street use while retaining oem feel.

I believe the Tilton is 800 ft-lb. Still working for us at 645 ft-lb.

Regards,

Danny

Being that the Tilton has no spring.
wouldn't the engagement be like really harsh?
It would sound like it would.
Harsh engagement would also be really hard of
the drive train.

Being that the Tilton has no spring.
wouldn't the engagement be like really harsh?
It would sound like it would.
Harsh engagement would also be really hard of
the drive train.

Not harsh at all...just extra crispy:biggrin: Easy to modulate with just my big toe.

Regards,

Danny

No real mystery needed in regards to clutch decisions. It really depends on what you are shooting for hp/tq wise and the purpose of your build. Here is what we have used in the past on both the NSX and Supra.

Exedy Twin Carbon held 700hp
Exedy Triple held in excess of 800hp
ClutchMasters Stage 5 in excess of 800hp
Carbonetics makes a triple carbon that will hold 1,000hp
Tiltons triple carbon holds in excess of 1,000hp

Each one has its strong and weak points in regards to drivability, service needs, and cost. Even though we have parted ways with Exedy, the twin carbon remains my personal favorite for high hp application.

Hope this helps!

I'm in the same boat, looking for a decent Carbon Clutch. I had a triple plate AP Racing 5.5" (whole clutch & flywheel weighing less than 4kgs) It felt like I had an extra 50 HP but was impossible on the street.

The Exedy you mention as your favorite, Is it usable on the street? Not as daily driver but I don't want to dread traffic lights ect.

I do not like the Exedy carbon or Carbonetic carbon clutches because the carbon friction discs interface with the chromoly steel surfaces of the flywheel, mid plate(s), and pressure plate. The carbon slips on these surfaces causing heavy warpage and also making street driving a pain. The proper design is to interface carbon against carbon (as done by Tilton and RPS). The Tilton clutch is very nice, but last time I spoke with them, they are no longer producing the clutch due lack of demand (they must produce 20 pc at a time) and a bad run in with Dali.

However, you didn't mention what kind of power level you are running? I know of several cars in the 500-550 hp range using the RPS stage 1 and know of Marc's car in the 600-650 hp range using the RPS stage 2. The RPS carbon stage 3 clutch looks really nice as well and is being used by Cody in cars making over 700 hp.

I'm in the same boat, looking for a decent Carbon Clutch. I had a triple plate AP Racing 5.5" (whole clutch & flywheel weighing less than 4kgs) It felt like I had an extra 50 HP but was impossible on the street.

The Exedy you mention as your favorite, Is it usable on the street? Not as daily driver but I don't want to dread traffic lights ect.

With the AP clutch, did you use a pull type pressure plate or reverse your hydraulic system?

I believe I want to go with the RPS stage 3.
I am running about 600rwhp right now and
know I have the capability to go more.
I am limited right now due to injector size. 750cc RC

Last edited:
Going with the epic bump here guys because I am just about in need of a new clutch...

had a friend recommend the carbonetics twin plate clutch for my setup...

I currently only have the bolt on mods (intake headers and exhaust) so I dont need anything too crazy...

http://www.carbonetic.net/products/twinandtriple.html

$2599 for this clutch is pretty steep but as long as there is no noise or shudder then I would be ok with the price...

Thoughts? thx for the tips in advance! :biggrin: *Sigh* my wallet is gonna hate me for this...

The clutch you are looking at doesn't have any springs to take up any of the shock on the drive train unlike a stock clutch. There is zero give with this clutch.
This may not be what you are looking for?

I have a Tilton clutch. It doesn't have any give. I find I need to rev match
for every shift up and down. I am ok with this but some may not be.

My car is primarily a track car.

Hope this helps.

Later,
Don

The clutch you are looking at doesn't have any springs to take up any of the shock on the drive train unlike a stock clutch. There is zero give with this clutch.
This may not be what you are looking for?

I have a Tilton clutch. It doesn't have any give. I find I need to rev match
for every shift up and down. I am ok with this but some may not be.

My car is primarily a track car.

Hope this helps.

Later,
Don

Ahh i see... hmmm such a tough decision to buy a new clutch...

should I go with this instead?

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/drivetrain_performance_products/NSX/RPS/billet_twin_carbon/

Going with the epic bump here guys because I am just about in need of a new clutch...

had a friend recommend the carbonetics twin plate clutch for my setup...

I currently only have the bolt on mods (intake headers and exhaust) so I dont need anything too crazy...

http://www.carbonetic.net/products/twinandtriple.html

$2599 for this clutch is pretty steep but as long as there is no noise or shudder then I would be ok with the price...

Thoughts? thx for the tips in advance! :biggrin: *Sigh* my wallet is gonna hate me for this...

The Carbonetics clutch is the same as the Exedy in design. They have carbon friction discs interfacing with chromoly steel surfaces. For a car that's going to see any street time what so ever, this doesn't work. The carbon disc skips as the friction coefficient changes with heat spikes until the clutch heats up. It makes driveability a real pain and requires a lot of slipping of the clutch until you get momentum which overheats and warps the steel. I had this twin plate carbon clutch in my car before and had to remove it because of this problem. The new RPS Billet Twin Carbon clutch addresses this issue by having the clutch discs interface with carbon surfaces. The flywheel side of the first disc also has a organic/Kevlar liner to increase driveability.

Check out the promotion here. We're trying to get the word out and offering this promotional discount until the end of this month.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124426

Cheers,
-- Chris

The Carbonetics clutch is the same as the Exedy in design. They have carbon friction discs interfacing with chromoly steel surfaces. For a car that's going to see any street time what so ever, this doesn't work. The carbon disc skips as the friction coefficient changes with heat spikes until the clutch heats up. It makes driveability a real pain and requires a lot of slipping of the clutch until you get momentum which overheats and warps the steel. I had this twin plate carbon clutch in my car before and had to remove it because of this problem. The new RPS Billet Twin Carbon clutch addresses this issue by having the clutch discs interface with carbon surfaces. The flywheel side of the first disc also has a organic/Kevlar liner to increase driveability.

Check out the promotion here. We're trying to get the word out and offering this promotional discount until the end of this month.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124426

Cheers,
-- Chris

Hmm I was told by the carbonetics guys that you're not supposed to feather the clutch when using their clutches... you're supposed to dump it every time and not let it slip. I'm sure letting it slip would cause premature wear just as it would with the Exedy clutches as you state on your site... so yea there is a fair amount of driving habits that you have to change in order to use these clutches properly and not wear them out in a few miles.

I was also assured by the carbonetics guys that their clutches have no chatter / shudder either... but according to you this isn't the case?

(And I'm sure you'll plug the RPS clutch because you can sell it and not the carbonetics one hehe ;))

Last edited:
Hmm I was told by the carbonetics guys that you're not supposed to feather the clutch when using their clutches... you're supposed to dump it every time and not let it slip. I'm sure letting it slip would cause premature wear just as it would with the Exedy clutches as you state on your site... so yea there is a fair amount of driving habits that you have to change in order to use these clutches properly and not wear them out in a few miles.

I was also assured by the carbonetics guys that their clutches have no chatter / shudder either... but according to you this isn't the case?

(And I'm sure you'll plug the RPS clutch because you can sell it and not the carbonetics one hehe ;))

We do sell the Carbonetics clutch - it is not however in our online catalog. I think it is a fine clutch for a dedicated track car. However, in my experience, it does not make a good clutch for a street car.

Cheers,
-- Chris

Back