• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What do you use to keep rodents out of your car in winter storage?

With one of the locations I store at I have had visiting mice.
I cover the NSX and place two mouse traps near each wheel - Victor brand old style wooden mousetraps (Home Depot). Bait? Peanut butter.
I check them weekly.

Don't store chocolate bars is your car and vacuum up all the Pringle bits collecting on the carpet under the seats!

I have a storage bag for the car. Mice can probably chew through the bag; but, so far they haven't been inclined. I did find some squished under the bag when I rolled the car off in the Spring. Perhaps the bag being moderately air tight keeps them from sniffing out the relatively tasty soy based wiring insulation in the car?

The facility where I store my car places warfarin laced rat / mouse bait throughout the facility and maintains a number of 'mousers' on patrol.

For mouse control in the summer I prefer this version of the Victor trap.

http://www.woodstreambrands.ca/victor-quick-kill-mouse-trap-bm140s-4

Peanut butter does the trick. From my non extensive testing, pure peanut butter (no emulsifiers or stabilizers or icing sugar like the Kraft stuff) works better. I hypothesize that it has a higher peanut oil concentration and perhaps has a stronger odour than the sugary stuff from Kraft. I hypothesize that the smooth works better just because it has more oil squeezed out of the peanut contributing to more odour. Do check the traps regularly and clean the trap off after a kill. Residual dead mouse smell on the trap reduces the attractiveness of the trap.

Last edited:
Make sure you set your air vent to "recirculate". This will close the vent door and keep friends from entering that way.

Back