• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What have you gotten a killer deal on lately?

Seems like a good topic. I never buy anything unless it's a deal, but every now and again, I find a KILLER deal! Love it when that happens. What have you gotten a killer deal on, one so good you feel a little guilty :)

Don't know if this reaches killer status but here goes: I got an iPhone 4S 16 GB for $105 at Radio Shack. They sell the phone for $149.95 on contract and they gave me $45 for my old 3G which was falling apart, literally. Then I called AT&T and got them to waive the $36 upgrade fee.

Not bad.... you don't get killer deals often. What made me think of creating this thread was the $200 I just paid for a 50" Pioneer Elite Plasma (with optional speakers and stand). I couldn't even get that deal through my employer (we have a ton of used Elites we're selling on eBay and Audiogon), this just happened to be a local guy looking to get rid of it fast because he wanted to hang a new TV where this one was and was on his way back from Best Buy with the new one when I called. Sure it's 8 years old and 768p, but it has HDMI (with HDCP) and in 2004 it was a $15,500 TV (+500 for speakers). The guy had all the manuals, packaging, screws and boxes for everything but the giant TV box itself.

My wife saw the ad originally from a local email list she's on and now is wishing she had never forwarded me the email. This thing is way too big for our small bedroom :D

Gladiator Garage premiere cabinets (welded, not nut+bolt) are usually 200ish but can be had for 150 from Sears during sales throughout year. Sears had them for 99.99 for Father’s day.

At the same time Albertsons had a coupon for free $20 in groceries (no minimum) if you purchased $100 or more in sears gift cards. I purchased 4 x 100 gift cards and received 80 in free groceries.

When I went to order them, I went through ebates which is a site that gives cash back why you purchase items online, which at the time was given 4% back on purchases made at sears.

Lastly, sears had a coupon that took $15 off orders of $100 or more. I added a cheap .80 screwdriver to each of my orders for a net savings of $14 per order.

All said I ordered 5 cabinets on 5 different orders, and factoring in the cash back from ebates, and the free groceries the cabinets cost me $330. I had to pick them up in Oregon (not in stock at local SW WA Sears) so I also ended up saving on sales tax.

I don’t own a truck so I was going to transport 2 at a time, but while I was picking them up I struck up a conversation with an older gentleman who as it turned out graduated from the same High School I did, 50 years ago (small world). He loaded the cabinets in his truck and drove them to my house (20 miles), and outright refused gas money, beer, or lunch. A lot of effort, but it felt like a win.

I got a brand new diamond watch off ebay for half the price retail. New at any store 1,000..... ebay 500.

I scored a Corsair Vengeance M60 gaming mouse off newegg's shell shocker deal a few weeks ago. Best Buy wants $60 online, I paid newegg $45 shipped and, with a $20 mail-in-rebate it will end up costing me $25. :biggrin:

Love me some newegg!

Just bought a Sharp LC-70LE745U 3D ready TV for my shop for $1399.99. Everywhere else, even ebay and amazon wants 1800 bucks.

What?! How? :eek:

At Fry's. Apparently they have a special deals with Sharp to whore those TV out. The sales person told me they do that frequently on weekends and I happen to be there that day.

At Fry's. Apparently they have a special deals with Sharp to whore those TV out. The sales person told me they do that frequently on weekends and I happen to be there that day.

Nice! Thanks for the info. I may have to camp out at Fry's come Black Friday. :D

What?! How? :eek:

Just as an FYI, a lot of stores will negotiate on price, especially on the higher end models as they typically have a higher profit margin. I bought My tv from a NW chain called Video Only 1.5 years ago. At the time it was the flagship plasma LG TV (60px950) . Worst Buy wanted 2400, Video Only had it for black Friday at 1599. I went back and forth with the salesman and we settled on 1399 if I paid 100% on the spot (they wouldn't finance, didn't need it).

Attachments

• OBD.jpg
    OBD.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 43
Just as an FYI, a lot of stores will negotiate on price, especially on the higher end models as they typically have a higher profit margin. I bought My tv from a NW chain called Video Only 1.5 years ago. At the time it was the flagship plasma LG TV (60px950) . Worst Buy wanted 2400, Video Only had it for black Friday at 1599. I went back and forth with the salesman and we settled on 1399 if I paid 100% on the spot (they wouldn't finance, didn't need it).

Good to know, thanks.

Thanks again for the heads-up on this. I just received it today.

I'm glad you were able to get one too! I received mine a couple of days ago, but haven't tried it out yet. :biggrin:

Korean brands usually have a greater profit margin. Video only is not a national chain and is almost mom and pop store, depend of the location and the fix cost of the store, the negotiation varies. It's good to see Video Only still around, too bad they really don't carry high end stuff like Magnolia HiFi.

Korean brands usually have a greater profit margin. i.

This is not true. I'm a dealer for Samsung, LG, Sony, Panasonic, Sharp, Mitsubishi, JVC. I don't know what you are basing this on. Where the TV comes from has nothing to do with margin.

I'm an avid internet shopper. There are a lot of things I find good deals on - not everything, but many things.

I'm constantly amazed by how little you can pay for small electronic items, like specialty batteries, patch cables, etc. A lot of those items are shipped from China (Hong Kong as well as mainland) for prices that seem stupidly low. I've bought things for $.99-$1.99 including free shipping from overseas. I know their costs are low, but they still have to pay for shipping!!!

I've done quite well using Priceline for hotel rooms and occasionally for rental cars. Most people don't realize just how low you can bid, and bid higher than they need to. Priceline lets you change your price and re-submit your bid after waiting 24 hours, and there are ways you can do this without waiting 24 hours too. I've paid $25-40 for hotel rooms that typically go for $80-100, and $40-60 for rooms that should be $150+.

A couple of months ago I bought this 14 megapixel camera for $27.99 at 1saleaday.com. It's been great!

I also then bought this camera case for it. At the time, it was listed with free shipping, and it came FedEx. Yes, free FedEx shipping for a $1.50 item. Even FedEx Ground with a big-shipper discount costs more than that. Oh well, I guess that's why they now charge for shipping!

Last edited:
Korean brands usually have a greater profit margin. Video only is not a national chain and is almost mom and pop store, depend of the location and the fix cost of the store, the negotiation varies. It's good to see Video Only still around, too bad they really don't carry high end stuff like Magnolia HiFi.

Who cares if it's national or local? National chains compete against local businesses everywhere. We had a Magnoli HiFi here years back; their pricing sucked, and they eventually went out of buisness. That building has since been turned into a... Video Only.

In June 2011 I bought 2 Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Blu ray players from Frys. At the time they were regularly priced 160ish, Frys had them for 130. I bought 2 for 100 each after negotiating with the store manager. Every electronics store I go to, national or not, I use the "sale" price as a starting point and negotiate from there. If you're paying asking price, you're doing it wrong.

Best part of the blu ray purchases is each came with a mail in offer for Avatar 3d, which last year was selling for 80-100 each. I sold mine for 160 after Amazon fees, so my blu ray players cost 20 each. :biggrin:

Back