• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is MICROSOFT planning?

I got my Surface this morning, and after playing with it for a little while, my reaction is decidedly mixed.

I clearly need to learn more about Windows 8. I'm a Windows user from way back, and Windows 8 is the most dramatic update ever. Users will either love it or hate it, and I suspect that many of those who hate it are in reality not willing to invest the time to learn the new interface. A coworker who is much better at Windows 8 than I am raved about the Surface user experience.

Running Office apps like Word, Excel, and Powerpoint is brilliant. Other tablets and OSs have ways of working with Office docs, but you really can't beat the real thing. I have users who live and breathe Excel, and nothing less is acceptable.

I am running into a few hardware issues that I'm not sure are my problems, or endemic to the Surface. The wireless drops now and then, and sometimes the keyboard will stop working. If these problems persist I'll take it to the Microsoft Store and see if they can troubleshoot or fix or exchange it.

How is the battery life? I also read that the ARM processor tends to get a bit overworked if you have multiple processes running at once. Have you noticed any slowdown?

How is the battery life? I also read that the ARM processor tends to get a bit overworked if you have multiple processes running at once. Have you noticed any slowdown?

I didn't notice any, but I didn't do any hard testing either. I charged it up as soon as I got it, and it got passed around the office all day without plugging in again. If there was a slowdown, no one noticed it.

The keyboard issue, however, did not seem to go away. Sometimes the keyboard would just cease to be recognized. My colleague is taking it to the Microsoft store this weekend. Most online reports praise the keyboard, so I think it's just a problem with mine.

The biggest hurdle for this product is Windows 8. It's not a problem with the OS itself -- one of my coworkers is as close to a "Windows 8 fanboi" as you can get, and he loved the device. However, most Apple users couldn't get into it, and kept trying to do iOS style gestures on the tablet, and when it didn't behave like an iPad, they complained. And long time Windows users bemoaned the missing Start button. I hope Microsoft gives this device the time it needs to gain acceptance -- it's a cool thing, but it might be a slow uphill climb.

One other thing that annoyed a lot of people -- supposedly IE10 has Flash built in, but our company app wouldn't run on it. This might be our problem, however :biggrin:

One other thing that annoyed a lot of people -- supposedly IE10 has Flash built in, but our company app wouldn't run on it. This might be our problem, however :biggrin:

I also heard this type of issue as well. Also that some HTML5 sites wouldn't work. I'm sure it'll be resolved in an update.

The keyboard issue, however, did not seem to go away. Sometimes the keyboard would just cease to be recognized. My colleague is taking it to the Microsoft store this weekend. Most online reports praise the keyboard, so I think it's just a problem with mine.

I have also heard great reviews on both the soft "touch" keyboard as well as the "type" keyboard cover.

These would be a real benefit if you were always typing a large amount of text and didn't mind using the tablet at a table or desk.

I charged it up as soon as I got it, and it got passed around the office all day without plugging in again.

Good to know.

Has anyone played with Windows 8?
Is anyone looking forward to upgrading?
Does anyone know of anyone second hand(friend, family) who's upgraded to it?

Just trying to remember my Technet password so I can play with it a bit. And with Windows Server 2012...and Exchange 2013..... and Office 2013.

My friend got it and really likes it. I'm putting it on my laptop next week. I'm not sure I see a good reason to put it on my work pc.

Intalled it on my laptop a couple of days ago and like it a lot. Debated about it at first because my laptop isn't touch screen, but for 15$ I couldn't resist. I have no regrets yet.

I installed it in a new VM a couple of hours ago. I'm having a bit of a struggle finding things and navigating.

One of the first things I wanted to do was enable remote desktop since it being a VM, I'm connecting to it via RDP. Normally you right click on 'My computer' and select properties. I was finally able to get to it through control panel > administrative tasks.

I'm still trying to figure out a lot of basic stuff. The next thing on my list was I integrated with a number of 3rd party webapps (facebook, google, linkedin) and now I want to get the native windows 8 calendar to show my Gmail calendar items.

Update: Got it to pull in google calendar stuff, but it only pulls in mine, not my wife's even though my wife's calendar is shared out to me. Looks like I will need to add her account as well and just set it up to sync calendar. One hurdle at a time.

Last edited:
Good to know some people are liking Windows 8 okay.
I guess I'll try it.

And with Windows Server 2012...and Exchange 2013.....

Curious what your impressions are. I haven't read anything on either of them yet.

havent taken the plunge on the server stuff yet. i run win2k8r2 as my desktop OS and have a bunch of VMs I use for various things (windows, ubuntu, xenserver, etc and now win8) and i have to be careful not to ruin hundreds of hours of work. will need to install the enterprise version of server 2012 when the time comes as the standard version now limits you to only 2 VMs out of the box.

Win8 is a HUGE step forward in security, as well as significant improvements for power. Considering that these two are probably the biggest issues facing most owners today, it's a good impetus to upgrade.

It's funny because they've taken many of the same ideas being used in iOS and now made it a part of the desktop OS -- in some cases beating Apple to the punch with OSX ;)

Here's a good overview of the underlying technology in Win8 if you're interested:

http://arstechnica.com/information-...er-on-the-inside-under-the-hood-of-windows-8/

Not that anybody else here is doing this, but just in case... I found today that Win8 running in my Hyper-V VM was completely hung and required a hard reboot. After a bit of research this evening, I discovered a patch that needs to be installed on Win2K8R2 for Win8 to properly work in a VM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2744129

Not that anybody else here is doing this, but just in case... I found today that Win8 running in my Hyper-V VM was completely hung and required a hard reboot. After a bit of research this evening, I discovered a patch that needs to be installed on Win2K8R2 for Win8 to properly work in a VM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2744129

^^^ Interesting. I wonder if Win7 needs a patch as well? I had issues running win8 beta in vmware workstation where it would bluescreen and stop working after 1-2 boots.

Trying to research if there is a good mouse or touchpad that really takes advantage of Win8 touch gestures, but all I'm finding are the MSFT touch mice which implements a very limited subset. Not sure such a product exists yet.

From everything I'm reading, you really need a touchscreen to take advantage of the UI changes, if you only have a mouse, you're going to be doing A LOT of extra clicking and it really slows things down compared to Win7. So far my experience is I agree with that.

There is also no way to change windows sizes and such, everything is either full screen, or you can split screen between two applications ("SnapView" - where one gets exactly 2/3rd of the screen). But no more having multiple windows all open and showing on the same screen.

I'm sure there are addons that will change this, but that's a massive step backwards

Last edited:
Trying to research if there is a good mouse or touchpad that really takes advantage of Win8 touch gestures, but all I'm finding are the MSFT touch mice which implements a very limited subset. Not sure such a product exists yet.

From everything I'm reading, you really need a touchscreen to take advantage of the UI changes, if you only have a mouse, you're going to be doing A LOT of extra clicking and it really slows things down compared to Win7. So far my experience is I agree with that.

There is also no way to change windows sizes and such, everything is either full screen, or you can split screen between two applications ("SnapView" - where one gets exactly 2/3rd of the screen). But no more having multiple windows all open and showing on the same screen.

I'm sure there are addons that will change this, but that's a massive step backwards

These are the two I've seen. About the same as the Magic Trackpad pricewise, hopefully they'll come down soon.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...e_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

and

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/touchpad-t650

Vizio's all in one computers also seem to have a trackpad option but it doesn't appear that you can purchase it separately.

Last edited:
Thanks. Very few reviews out on these products but they look promising. I may just have work order me up one and stick win8 on my work laptop. I really only use it for office products and the IT clowns stuck me with 32bit windows on it so the whole OS needs to be replaced anyway. No upgrade path to x64

So I'm still learning here, apparently the full screen and 'snap view' only applies to Metro apps, it doesn't apply to non-metro, so I'm told (though I haven't tried it yet) that it's business as usual when it comes to being able to resize apps. I had thought Microsoft was pushing 3rd parties that all apps going forward were Metro, but that apparently may not be the case. Still debating on whether to make the move on my work laptop. I should probably make sure the Cisco VPN client will still work.

Well... this is from Microsoft's Windows 8 forum. I think I'm going to take a pass on Windows 8. Everybody is saying even in Microsoft's own forum that there is no compelling reason to move to Win8 and every reason not to. Here's one post in response to mine.

Yes, Microsoft is pushing for more "Metro" apps. When the competitors have 700,000 apps and the Windows Marketplace has about 5,000 (most useless), you can understand the reason for Microsoft's angst.

However, in a desktop system these apps are not useful. You can do everything they are able to accomplish with the browser or native applications, far, far better. And there can never be a "Metro" app for Photoshop or any other rich program. Furthermore, their multitasking model is far less robust than that of the "desktop".

Thus, any reason to upgrade to Win8 or buy a new system with Win8 is predicated on one's need for these "Metro" apps which are really smartphone apps. If one needs them in the desktop, then, there is a good rationale to buy Win8. Otherwise, it is far more preferable to stay with Win7. The so-called "optimizations" of Win8 in the desktop also come with substantial reduction in features and a very awkward interface.

I see no compelling reason right now to either upgrade to Win8 or even to buy a new system running Win8. I would be more than glad to hear scenarios where that makes sense (for desktops and laptops). I have issued this request a number of times without any answers.

These are the two I've seen. About the same as the Magic Trackpad pricewise, hopefully they'll come down soon.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...e_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

and

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/touchpad-t650

Vizio's all in one computers also seem to have a trackpad option but it doesn't appear that you can purchase it separately.

I have one of the newest Logitech mice and the battery life sux. Makes me worry about these touchpads.

Back