• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is this worth?

I am THINKING about selling my 1998 Spa Yellow NSX (Possibly purchasing GT3) This car is Supercharged, Headers, Exhaust, Air Box, ECU, 9LBs of Boost, 4:55' Gears, HRE 547 18’s in front, 19’s in Rear, Lowered 1.3 inches, Polished Supercharger, etc etc…

43,000 Miles…

THANKS!

Has anyone seen it in SO CA? Plate reads: I BYTEU

[This message has been edited by SpaSuperCharged98 (edited 26 March 2003).]

Originally posted by SpaSuperCharged98:
What is this worth?

My guess? $55-57K, assuming paint and interior are in excellent condition, clean title, no problems, all maintenance done. Of course, I would place a higher asking price in listings (e.g. $59,995) and expect to negotiate down to this level.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 26 March 2003).]

OOOPS 4:55 gears and i am the second owner (Purchased it with 20K miles and I had all the work done at VALENCIA ACURA) Have all records, and the car is in PERFECT CONDITION

I think you'll get more in the end by selling the wheels separately.

Put stock wheels back on and I think high $50s is very reasonable for the car if you are not in a hurry.

Then sell the HREs separately and your total should be over $60k.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 27 March 2003).]

I just bought a 97 stock for 47,500 and I feel like I got a good deal. So if you say 48,500 for a stock 98 add 6K for super charger and 4,000 for wheels. After depreciation of after market parts I think 55K is a fair price

IMO all of your mods are worth more OFF the car on this forum then on the car. I have seen many people sell highly modified cars for little / no more money then pure stock.

I have also seen many people sell their parts for 50-75% of retail if they are still in excellent condition.

You do have to factor in the installation costs - but I still think you will be better off AND attract a bigger market.

Just my O based on being part of this community and the email lists for over 5 years.

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

Originally posted by matteni:
IMO all of your mods are worth more OFF the car on this forum then on the car. I have seen many people sell highly modified cars for little / no more money then pure stock.

Agree. I've probably done twice as many mods as this, but have been very careful to retain all the OEM stuff (even the original "boat anchor" wheels) so the car could be returned to stock.

Most likely this will be after I'm long dead and gone and the car will be a 50 year old classic...

------------------
Don Gallo
'92 NSX Black/Black "4RE-NVME"
'00 S2000 Silver/Red "LOTSA GS"

Obviously, a lot of any pricing discussion is guesswork and opinion. So here's mine, and you can accept it as such and feel free to agree or disagree.

A modded car will appeal to fewer people than an all-stock car. As a result, with a smaller market, the car is going to be worth less when it comes time to sell, than it would if it were in heavy demand.

However, I don't know that it is always true that mods are worth more off the car than on the car. I agree with Nick that most mods add little to the value of an NSX. However, there are a few mods that IMO add value, because they are considered desirable enough by enthusiasts that it won't be terribly difficult to find a buyer who is willing to pay more for them. For example, I think a Comptech supercharger, and probably[/b] either of the other two superchargers, add value to the car. How much? Well... as a general rule of thumb, you ought to be able to get 50 percent of the typical cost of such mods when new, not counting the installation labor. So that means maybe $3K for a BBSC, $4K for a CTSC.

So... it's possible that you can get the same amount of money (50 percent) back for the supercharger if you leave it on or take it off. In which case, don't bother taking it off - so you can avoid the removal labor, as well as the risk of some other problem (tuning or such) after the removal.

I don't think most other mods, including the common ones like intake, exhaust, or headers, add value to a car. I know Lud disagrees with this and thinks they might add 50 percent of their value, but I don't. That's my O.

Now, if you take the mods off the car, how much could you sell them for? It depends on the mods. I don't think you could get 75 percent of the retail value as Nick claims. (Heck, you might even be able to buy the mods new for 25 percent off retail.) I think you might be able to get 50 percent of a typical selling price though.

Wheels tend to be desirable and marketable. However, the OEM wheels/tires are worth something (depending on tread and tires, as much as $2K or more). HRE wheels are pretty expensive, so you might get more for them than the OEM wheels, but it might be fairly close.

As for other mods, it's something of a crapshoot. In making this decision, you're juggling the amount you might get for the mods, the cost of removing them (presumably the buyer pays for shipping), the effect (if any) on the market value if you leave them on the car, etc. Removing them might be more trouble (and cost) than it's worth.

FWIW, when evaluating how much this particular car might sell for, I started by considering how much a similar car (high-mileage but mint-condition '98) might sell for when stock, which might be around $49-51K, and then added for the mods ($4-5K for the supercharger, plus another $1-3K for the other mods) to come up with my $55-57K estimate.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 27 March 2003).]

I completely agree with everything Ken said. I have seen parts go as high as 75% of retail used - and as Ken implied - I can't understand why but it is one buyer and one seller that really matters.

My guess is you could make an extra 1-3K even after paying you installer and your car will appeal to a wider audience. Is it worth 1-3K? Only you can decide.

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

I appreciate all the GREAT advise. If i sell the car, I will sell it as is.. an extra 1-3K to me is not worth the time and headache of parting and selling. Sounds like if i do sell it I will start at $60,000 and see what happens. Going to drive a F360 with F1 today and then decide.

I guess I need to make it to at least 1 meeting in Calabasas...You guys meet across the street from my office. Anyone interested in driving it is more then welcome to take it for a spin…

I do really appreciate it...

I appreciate all the GREAT advise. If i sell the car, I will sell it as is.. an extra 1-3K to me is not worth the time and headache of parting and selling. Sounds like if i do sell it I will start at $60,000 and see what happens. Going to drive a F360 with F1 today and then decide.

I guess I need to make it to at least 1 meeting in Calabasas...You guys meet across the street from my office. Anyone interested in driving it is more then welcome to take it for a spin…

I do really appreciate it...

I have to respectfully disagree. Here is my $0.02. I just sold a 99 Monte Carlo Pearl Blue with HRE's and comptech hdrs/exh for $61k. You have better mods, a clean car, the miles are a little high, but its a fully documented car with dealer installation. The supercharger is in my mind a very desirable addition solving the NSX's only glaring fault - lack of power. Remember shortly you will be able to buy a 300HP WRX for $32K.

Admittedly this was not a fast process, however if you have the time, I would start higher...$63k-$64k. My advice is use ebay and autotrader, take and post lots of pictures. The more pictures, the faster it will sell. It probably won't sell on ebay, however the car will get a LOT of exposure. Mine got 11,000 hits in a week when it was posted on ebay, the auction ended at $59K. Ultimately I was contacted by somebody from the ebay ad and sold the car. At the time, there was much debate on this website about my asking price being too high...the consensus was high 50's.

Oh, one other thing, on the test drive, you drive it first, fast and hard. Maybe even meet the prospective buyer at an interesting back road. Show the prospective buyer what the car can do. Most of them won't (and frankly you don't somebody unfamilar with the car driving it that hard) want to push the car to the limit....that's a good for at least $2k! As my dad always told me....."you only need one buyer" How patient you are willing to be, with a rare car like this, will utlimately determine whether you get more or less than $60K. By being patient I have ALWAYS been able to get $2k-$3k more than expected. Remember buying cars, especially ones like these is NOT a rational process, otherwise we would all have Honda Civics....

One other thing check out the Porsche 996 tt's.....they blow the socks off the 360's and can be had for well under $100k these days.

Good luck....

[This message has been edited by kinnsella (edited 28 March 2003).]

I love the TT Porsche. In fact considering it. BUT, it's a GREAT every day car but not EXOTIC

My Partner has a 03 TT and when our cars are next to one another 9 out of 10 look at the NSX due to it’s EXOTIC. I like everything about the TT (Owned 3 Porsches and loved them) but never owned a Ferrari.

I will put the car up a little higher (if I decide to sell it) and wait…. I hear YELLOW Exotics sell well…. So I was told.

When is the next meeting in Calabasas?

I totally agree with you on the WOW factor. The Porsche is practically invisible. However performance wise it CRUSHES everything. I track my tt regularly and usually I am faster than all the "race cars" on the track....which came on a trailer. I guess it depends on what you want from your car...the 360's get a LOT of attention, just don't race a 996 tt in one, you'll lose.

Originally posted by kinnsella:
I just sold a 99 Monte Carlo Pearl Blue with HRE's and comptech hdrs/exh for $61k. You have better mods, a clean car, the miles are a little high, but its a fully documented car with dealer installation.

However, kinnsella's '99 had below-average miles (18K) and SpaSupercharged's '98 is well above average (40K). For late-model cars like these, that's a big difference. And kinnsella's also had a bumper-to-bumper extended warranty. Two cars are rarely identical in every respect, which is why it's difficult to say that a car is worth exactly $X.

Originally posted by kinnsella:
if you have the time, I would start higher...$63k-$64k.
By being patient I have ALWAYS been able to get $2k-$3k more than expected.

I think this is good advice - for SpaSupercharged and for anyone else. As long as you have the time, you can start higher than you think you might get. If you don't sell it after a while, you can always lower the asking price. And you are likely to get more money if you're patient, both by starting with a slightly higher asking price as well as by not taking the first offers you get if they're much lower than your asking price.

The WOW factor... Totally true. I know the TT will out run, out handle ALMOST anything. The F360 is different, but dont know if i'm into MAJOR SERVICE at 3,000 miles. I would love to race my 98 NSX against a TT on the track..That would be a blast. With all the mods on my car... How would I perform against a TT? Guessing, I'm running 420HP?

It wouldn't be that close, the NSX brakes are not that good relative to the brembos. The AWD is a big help as well. I was at WSIR on Sunday, myself and another 996 tt were significantly faster than a Viper ACR, a 993 tt, a f355, a Maranello, a couple of Z06's, a 996 c4s, a race 914 with a 993 motor and a few modified 02 M3's. To be honset I wasn't pushing it thru turns 8 and 9 either. The race 914 was the fastest of the rest.

Here are a few pictures of the event. Check out this link.
http://www.alltimeracing.homestead.com/march232003.html

It would be fun to have a few So Cal NSX's at the next event in May....

[This message has been edited by kinnsella (edited 28 March 2003).]

When is the next meeting in Calabasas?

April 17th! I still want you to take ME for a ride in your car, since I have a 2000 CTSC and want to see the difference with the 4.55's and 9lb.
Thanks,
John

Back