• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What to do...

Hi guys - I'm back from a couple year hiatus- I owned a 93 awhile back. I’ve got $50K to blow on a car and am struggling with what to dial in on. Basically it seems to be a 2000 (ish) NSX, or a new BMW Z4 M Coupe…

The draw back on the Z4 that stands out in my mind is the front engine configuration – I’ve grown use to the rear engine configuration (have a turbo MR2 spyder at the moment). Slugging all of the weight around up front seems un-natural… Other than that, it seems like a great overall car.

I did own a 350Z for a while, and found it very heavy and not much fun to drive...

Any guidance?

Hi guys - I'm back from a couple year hiatus- I owned a 93 awhile back. I’ve got $50K to blow on a car and am struggling with what to dial in on. Basically it seems to be a 2000 (ish) NSX, or a new BMW Z4 M Coupe…

The draw back on the Z4 that stands out in my mind is the front engine configuration – I’ve grown use to the rear engine configuration (have a turbo MR2 spyder at the moment). Slugging all of the weight around up front seems un-natural… Other than that, it seems like a great overall car.

I did own a 350Z for a while, and found it very heavy and not much fun to drive...

Any guidance?

I think you're referring to mid-engine (mid-rear, actually), not rear-engine.

Anyway, the Z4 and NSX are totally different philosophies. First, the NSX is exotic and the BMW is not. I'm assuming you're looking at the Z4 M correct? It's not a bad car but it's not the track-tuned, balanced and responsive car the NSX is.

And, the Z4 resembles this:

ClownShoe.jpg

Why would you want to buy an ugly car that everyone has and is going to be worth half what you pay for it in 3 years? just give me your money instead. :biggrin:

Buy this before its gone:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93500

Sweet! A very rare car indeed. I'm assuming that's not THE Tom Brady...:wink: A coupe would be the car to get.

Or, get a Zanardi, if you can find one. Personally I would stay away from 99-01 unless it was a coupe or a Zanardi. They represent poor values to me. JMO.

For $50K I would either try to find a mint condition 97 or 98 or scrounge up a bit more cash and get an 02, if you like the 02+ style.

Why would you want to buy an ugly car that everyone has and is going to be worth half what you pay for it in 3 years? just give me your money instead. :biggrin:

Buy this before its gone:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93500

Turbo2Go, you have a very good point, which is actually something that just dawned on me too. The pure depreciation of the M coupe is going to be significant, and something that is very difficult to get out of if I want. On the other hand, the NSX will hold its value substantially better at this point in its life. If I get the NSX, I can always go to the M if I want. The other way around is much harder.

Ok, done deal.

I did query the for sale post, as that’s pretty much what I want – but no reply yet…

Any guidance?

The NSX is a great car, and I love mine, but you have a good option with the BMW Z4 M Coupe. My wife and I test drove one and it was a very fast and capable car. My only issue with it was the price of it, and the depreciation it would feel within the first few years. The car was well over $50k with the options it had, and the thought of losing that much money right off the bat in the first few years almost gave me a heart attack. All new cars suffer from this, but with the depreciation curve on the NSXs almost flattened out now, it is a less rocky investment. I guess what I am saying is that either car is great fun. Anyone on here who tells you the Z4 M Coupe is not fun has just not driven or ridden in one. At the end of the day....I still like to get in my NSX though. ;)

I know this has been discussed, but I could not dial in on an answer from the information on previous posts or the FAQ. Please don’t respond with “that’s been asked, just search”.

I’m now looking at a 2000. The ‘93 I had the very distinct engine vibration in the 1200 to 1500 rpm range, which everyone considers “normal”. Apparently, some are slightly worse than others. Mine was slightly worse than others.

That being the case, was this issue taken care of, or reduced, when they went to the newer C32B1 engine in ‘97? If not, this is a big show stopper...

Thanks

Vibration is relative, isn't it? I think mine vibrates from idle to 8K. :biggrin: I don't notice anything different in the range you specified. Maybe you had worn motor mounts.

I know this has been discussed, but I could not dial in on an answer from the information on previous posts or the FAQ. Please don’t respond with “that’s been asked, just search”.

I’m now looking at a 2000. The ‘93 I had the very distinct engine vibration in the 1200 to 1500 rpm range, which everyone considers “normal”. Apparently, some are slightly worse than others. Mine was slightly worse than others.

That being the case, was this issue taken care of, or reduced, when they went to the newer C32B1 engine in ‘97? If not, this is a big show stopper...

Thanks

I am not aware of any recurring complaints of unusual engine vibration in any year NSX. My 140K mile 91 purrs from 700 to 8300 RPM...perhaps you can reference a thread on Prime discussing the issue?

You should have nothing to worry about. Both the C30 and C32 engines are very solid and there was no change or improvement noted from the C30 to C32 that I am aware of to address a vibration issue. My first guess would be in line with TURBO2GO in that it sounds like bad/loose motor mounts.

Oh, and I know we have a reputation for busting chops about search but I think you'll find if you just search first you'll be fine. 99% of people who get the search smackdown did not even attempt the search or look in the FAQ (although it is harder to locate these days with the introduction of the NSX Wiki) and get angry about a lecture when asking "what's that snap ring problem all about?" :rolleyes:

I am not aware of any recurring complaints of unusual engine vibration in any year NSX. My 140K mile 91 purrs from 700 to 8300 RPM...perhaps you can reference a thread on Prime discussing the issue?

Ditto, never heard of it. My '91 has 140K miles and not a vibration in it.

Also, glad to hear you're not looking at the Z4 M anymore. I drove it, it doesn't compare.

That '00 silverstone coupe mentioned above has had paintwork dues to a low speed roll. It sounds like it was repaired back with absolutely no expense spared. Frame and everything else check out 100%, but I wouldn't hold this up as a pristine never touched car.

If I were buying anything in the marketplace now, it would be this one. No affiliation, no homework on my part, but that looks like a steal to me.

Sorry! Has to be silver. The '00 is a hard core race setup - not what I want. Think I may have dialed in on a '00 in Florida however...

Back