• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What would you do???

In January of 2011, I became the proud owner of a '98 Comptech NSX. A beautiful machine. Over $130k from the dealer. She ran into a deer one night and as a result, she was mine. All I had to do was repair the minimal front end damage and I'm in heaven. Well, the parts were not as easy to locate as I had thought but she was finally complete and looking fantastic w/ a new coat of yellow.

Damn, she won't idle and to make a long story short, I'm told that I need a new motor. So here's where you come in. What do I do now???

I would think a 98' Computech NSX could have retailed for $130k.

I suspect he purchased it for less after the deer alterations had been made to it.

Waiting for more info from the OP.

I would try to build a time machine and go back in time and not buy the car. At this point you need to decide if you want to attempt to rebuild this motor or buy a used one.

I think a full comptech nsx including supercharger, brembo BBK, clutch and everything else comptech made for the nsx at the time could have cost $130k new out of the door in 98.

if they told you you need a new motor then get a new motor.

then sell the block on ebay or Prime and make some of your money back for the new motor you purchased.

Wow. What a great response. Yep, I have the ticket and it was more than $130. The dealer installed the package, for the original owner prior to delivery, which included the Comptech supercharger, headers, exhaust, suspension, Brembos and much more.

So, any suggestions?

So, any suggestions?
Tell us more info. The information you provided cannot justify any responses other than:

1. sounds like you need to make a decision based on your personal situation.
2. this is a good lesson to get an engine evaluated before doing other repairs to make sure you have assessed all the information.

She cranked and ran well at purchase and previous work had been done by our local NSX guy who vouched her. But you are right, a compression and leak down test is always a wise precaution. She also sat for 9 months.

If you feel you will be "under water" on this car and you have limited recources....then we would need more specifics about the car to give you a precise $ cost analysis.Otherwise if you have the money and you love the car do what I did,,,,search on prime and through the nsx "grapevine" for a good replacement engine,or contact a shop like SOS or Driving ambitions to build you a motor to you specs.

Looking at your old posts it appears this is at least your 5th NSX over the years........... Is there really any advice people here can give that you don't already know?

In making a long story short you seem to have left out any details that would allow people here to give you useful advice. How did the car go from running when you purchased to not idling to needing a new motor? What exactly is the problem with the motor?

If you do need a new motor you have two real options: Buy one or sell the car with a bad motor at a steep discount to someone who is willing to fix it. But certainly you already know that. What else do you need to know? If you can help us understand what you are asking for people may be able to assist you better.

Last edited:
...So here's where you come in. What do I do now???

Place your lien-clear, signed, and notarized title in a 9" x 12" envelope
Purchase a $25,000 gift certificate from SOS, place in 9" x 12" envelope
Place envelope and keys under the passenger seat
Load car on an enclosed hauler, preferably Reliable Carriers (pre-paid to Phoenix)

No more problem

Give more details on "why you need a new motor"

I doubt you're entire motor is bad. I bet the block could be sleeved if not already and you're rods can be reused, along with your heads. You need to get more details as of why he said that.

For your deer accident you can pick up cheap parts for pop-ups floating around, just be patient.

Back