• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What you've all been waiting for.. Perfecting a Forumla Red NSX

i doubt it, it seems pretty deep. you always can have the car re-cleared if the base is still looking decent.
had no idea acid rain does that- i know from experience that bird crap will ruin the clear but thats way more caustic than rain.

Thanks Dave! So can it be safely removed? (now that i know what it is). I would think not, right? Because it's been there so long?

No you cannot remove pitted clear, or pits in single stage paint for that matter. Its there for good:redface:

The pitting seen in the clear is acid rain damage, most older vehicles have some form of acid rain damage pitting the clear coat.

Nice work Aaron!

I really don't think it's from acid rain. Reason being the car has only see rain twice. It's always been garaged and not driven in the rain.

Actually you can't see "pitting" with the naked eye. Those photos were taken under Aaron's detainling lights.

Doug

dOOt,

That was some excellent work there and a lot of labor involved. I'm glad you did a car with some swirls. I don't feel so bad and there is hope for me after all.

When can we get a detail class and kit. My car probably need similar attention.

This thread was EXTREMELY detailed, and I really really enjoyed it. I'm mildly bummed though because I'm out of the "detailing loop" I guess and didn't understand many of the acronyms being used for different types of products, so at many stages, I was kind of lost to what was going on. :frown: I wish I understood better so I could try to take the same care of my own car.

dOOt,

That was some excellent work there and a lot of labor involved. I'm glad you did a car with some swirls. I don't feel so bad and there is hope for me after all.

When can we get a detail class and kit. My car probably need similar attention.

Thanks!! There's hope for 95% of cars out there.. it's just the right people with the right skills putting in the time/effort to achieve the best results possible :). Detail classes are incoming for late spring/early summer time and I figured I won't be doing "off the shelf" selling of products because it's just WAY too expensive. I'll keep everyone posted :).

This thread was EXTREMELY detailed, and I really really enjoyed it. I'm mildly bummed though because I'm out of the "detailing loop" I guess and didn't understand many of the acronyms being used for different types of products, so at many stages, I was kind of lost to what was going on. :frown: I wish I understood better so I could try to take the same care of my own car.

Thanks a lot! I hope to do another NSX soon to post up again. With that said, sorry I'm so used to posting in "lingo" that I totally didn't even think about others who may not know it!! Post up which ones you're talking about and I'll clarify for you :)

This was a long one.. spent a little over 30 hours on the car, including wetsanding. The car used to be well taken care of, but when the owner moved to downtown SF, he wasn't able to wash it on his own, so it frequented the "down the sreet" washes :eek:
which, if i'm not mistaken, is where he met the woman with the breathalyzer-locked car.

wow, talk about compounding interest :biggrin:

gotta say doug's car looks absolutely beautiful... glad to hear the maintenance program is in place :smile:

Someone needs to volunteer a neglected black car with lots of swirls. I'd love to see that write up as well.

Thanks a lot! I hope to do another NSX soon to post up again. With that said, sorry I'm so used to posting in "lingo" that I totally didn't even think about others who may not know it!! Post up which ones you're talking about and I'll clarify for you :)

I'm the same way. Perhaps it's the brand names that you abbreviate or when you mention the type of pads. For example: P21S TAW, 2BM, 3M UK Green+SIP, x SIP+Green and 1x UF+Blue. That's what throws me off lol :biggrin: .

I find myself going to detailing sites to find out exactly what you use with hope that I can do that same. You and other detailers on prime (Josh) are very inspiring with your work. Every detailing thread you guys make goes into my subscription list! Great work.

Is that Sacramento St? Nice neighborhood :)

LOL How did you know it is Sacramento Street? Ding, Ding, we have a winner!

Yes, it's Sacramento Street between Gought and Octavia Streets, across the street from Lafayette Park in Pacific Heights.

I agree. It's a great neighborhood. Very convenient to everything. Filmore Street is four blocks away, etc.

How did you know that?

Whats up with the engine cover? :confused:

Good eye my friend. I didn't like the cover over the engine and liked the idea of displaying the engine. So the engine cover you see in the photos was custom fabricated to allow the engine to be displayed while being seamless and covering all of the wires, etc. by just removing the OEM cover.

The targa top fits in the boot if I want to remove it.

Again, good eye to detail.:wink:

Yes, it's Sacramento Street between Gought and Octavia Streets, across the street from Lafayette Park in Pacific Heights.

I agree. It's a great neighborhood. Very convenient to everything. Filmore Street is four blocks away, etc.

How did you know that?

Next thing you know he'll be telling you where you sleep or even what kind of artwork you've purchased. :wink:

How did you know that?

I used to live very close to there, you're making me miss SF!

Car looks amazing after the detail, very nice work.

I used to live very close to there, you're making me miss SF!

Car looks amazing after the detail, very nice work.

Thanks. Aaron did a great job. Well worth it.

How could you not miss San Francisco. Tell me, how or what did you recognize to let you know where it was located?

How did you know that?

Isnt that the location of the San Francisco Towers Senior Home?

Isnt that the location of the San Francisco Towers Senior Home?

LOL!

Are there any lawyers on this board? I clearly think that David, Roger, Craig, et al are demonstrating examples of elder abuse!:tongue:

Not only does my pacemaker now sputter, but I am afraid to exit my home with my walker due to their elder abuse. If any of you reading this and wish to engage in a class action suite, I encourage you to contact me.

Elders Unite!:tongue:

In answer to your question Roger, it isn't San Francisco Towers Senior Home. I admit I did live there in the past but one day I departed the building with my walker, and as you know it's located in the hills of Pacific Heights. Well, to make a long story short, what I thought would be a short walk ended up with me speeding down those hills so fast that I ended up in Daily City. Thank God I was able to make the 280 exit or I would have been on the 101 past the airport.:biggrin:

Someone needs to volunteer a neglected black car with lots of swirls. I'd love to see that write up as well.

Someone does!! I believe someone should!! :biggrin:

I'm the same way. Perhaps it's the brand names that you abbreviate or when you mention the type of pads. For example: P21S TAW, 2BM, 3M UK Green+SIP, x SIP+Green and 1x UF+Blue. That's what throws me off lol :biggrin: .

I find myself going to detailing sites to find out exactly what you use with hope that I can do that same. You and other detailers on prime (Josh) are very inspiring with your work. Every detailing thread you guys make goes into my subscription list! Great work.

Sorry about that!! P21S TAW=P21S (company name) Total Auto Wash. 2BM=Two Bucket Method 3M UK Green= 3M UK's green compounding pad, SIP=Menzerna Super Intensive Polish, UF=Ultrafina, Blue=3M UK Blue finishing pad. :).

Feel free to post any more q's!

Aaron, great work, sorry I haven't reply'd sooner, I was waiting for this to got to page two but I guess it's not going to on this forum....

Awesome job and great write up, well done, I know how it feels to perform a detail on that level on a car like this with tons of angles, not easy and lots can easily go wrong but you did an outstanding job.

BTW, about that pitting, if I'm not mistaken I believe it comes from "outgassing" at the early part of the paints life as it cures causing those tiny little micro bubbles.

Josh

Back