• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What's a good mattress to buy under $400 for Queen size mattress only?

As title says, I'm looking for a Queen size mattress only. Don't need the box springs. I don't want to pay way over $400. Slightly over $4xx is fine. This will be for my wife and I. I'm located in Southern California if it matters or if you know anybody around here. Has to be new. Thanks

Added: I like them firm... or close to the firm side. Not like sleeping on a brick or wood hard.

Last edited:
Costco foam mattress. Around $250.

You can always add a memory foam topper ranging from 1"-3". I bought one from Serta and I swear just as good as those 1k plus models. Huge difference and was only around $200.

Do you like your mattress firm or soft? Otherwise, we could be giving you inaccurate recommendation.

My vote goes for a good foam matress as well.

I got an 8inch foam matress and its great.

There is no spring 'squeeking' noises when there is movement on the bed :wink: ultra quiet :wink:

I think a lot of this depends on how good of a sleeper you are. If you can sleep pretty well, the cost and quality of the mattress probably doesn't make that much difference. But if you have a hard time sleeping, it can be all the difference in the world, and it might be worth it to spend a bit more.

Mattress stores are huge scams, IMHO BTW. I've had worse customer experiences in mattress stores than on used car lots. They're the lowest of the low when it comes to salesmen.

The Serta mattresses at Sam's have been pretty reasonable, lately. I didn't check out the Queen sizes, but the doubles were priced pretty low IMO. The only problem is that you won't get the complimentary sheep unless you go to a mattress store.
(insert sheep joke here).

Last edited:
I did see the Costco ones but the price made me think twice. Why are there foam mattresses that cost $250 and some that claims NASA ones that cost $1500 or so? What's the difference? Or some in between that cost around $600's and claim NASA.... :confused: :confused:

I have the Temperpedic one that I paid almost $1500 for the set.

The difference is in the quality of foam.

The costco ones and cheaper ones are low density foam and don't give as good of an effect as the real mcoy.

Think of it this way. Most people spend 1/3 of their lives sleeping.

Quality of sleep has an effect on ur health and even job performance.

So what's a good mattress worth to u.

PS - only issue that i have with foam mattresses is that since they naturally absorb moving energy I find myself spending more energy practicing to make babies with gals.......

I was wondering about that too. Thanks for the answer.

There are times that we will just "throw-down" on the floor or over some couch/sofa then retire in bed after she takes care of the flow-back.

I do miss a good 'ol spring mattress for the romping.........

I have an ex-girlfriend that has a Queen size bed. She's a total whore and I'm sure she would be more than willing to let you try it out. :tongue:

Best to visit local stores and lay on each mattress. $400 is definitely not going to get you the nicest mattress. What type of mattress are you looking for? Memory foam? Coil? Mattress topper?

I have the Temperpedic one that I paid almost $1500 for the set.

The difference is in the quality of foam.

The costco ones and cheaper ones are low density foam and don't give as good of an effect as the real mcoy.

Think of it this way. Most people spend 1/3 of their lives sleeping.

Quality of sleep has an effect on ur health and even job performance.

So what's a good mattress worth to u.

PS - only issue that i have with foam mattresses is that since they naturally absorb moving energy I find myself spending more energy practicing to make babies with gals.......

What he said...dont go cheap on the mattress
Temperpedic rocks! No more neck pain, backaches.
If price is a concern, go to mattress firm. They usually have 0% interest (deferred interest) for 6 months.

What he said...dont go cheap on the mattress
Temperpedic rocks! No more neck pain, backaches.
If price is a concern, go to mattress firm. They usually have 0% interest (deferred interest) for 6 months.

People that own NSXs that can't afford to invest over $1k on a NSX-grade mattress should just be cursed to drive a cavalier.......

For $400 you can probably get one these. I don't think they are too comfortable though, so you may need to get one of those aforementioned foam thingies.

bed+of+nails.JPG

People that own NSXs that can't afford to invest over $1k on a NSX-grade mattress should just be cursed to drive a cavalier.......

Well, maybe. I think it all depends on how you sleep. I don't know that anyone needs a pimp'd out mattress, and if the $400 job gets you eight hours a night, then that's plenty good.

Back