• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What's Your Greateast Fear

OK.... This is like climbing a tree, finding a branch and slowly shifting away from the trunk..... how far do I go personally to write this.

Reading the posts, death and how and when we go is a common thread. For me, my Granddad passed at 91 and my Dad at 93. So gene wise, it appears I will live somewhere to that area, unless an accident occurs. At my Dad's memorial service our stepmother was threatening us about where "she" would decide he would be buried. He always wanted to be buried near where he was raised and next to his Aunt and Uncle that raised him. He had purchased two plots, one for him and one for the stepmother. She wanted him buried in a Army cemetery so "she" could be buried in a "place of honor" so to speak.

Anyway...... my nephew asked me where I wanted to be buried. Without hesitating I said, "It doesn't matter to me as long as I'm buried next to Angie." Angie, my wife, told me three weeks later she was leaving.

My fear? That I will never love anyone again, like I love her.

Anyway...... my nephew asked me where I wanted to be buried. Without hesitating I said, "It doesn't matter to me as long as I'm buried next to Angie." Angie, my wife, told me three weeks later she was leaving.

KUDOS! Spoken from the heart. One of the reasons I started this thread is that after reading many threads here, it was kind of disturbing to me how many were written about cars from a truely heartfelt point of view. I'm not exactly sure why, but being deeply emotionally involved with a machine seems somehow (you fill in the adjective) -

This makes the most sense from what I have read here so far. I lived there in Glen Allen (west end) for almost 5 years a couple of years back. Nice place to raise a family, great weather and roads, beaches 2hours east, mountains 2hours west, everyone is nice,
works hard and saves up but few really let themselves go.
I retired, had good health, for now and decided to tweak as you say. Moved to NYC area, started spending some of my hard earned $$ on vacations abroad, more time with the grown kids and wife, bought a Lambo (just to enjoy a different fun - looking for a newer NSX), studying other cultures and working on a bucket list now instead of when old and sick. Best move I ever made. Of course this wasn't possible until the kid's were earning on thier own! :biggrin:
Writing this today from our flat in London looking out at two F-cars parked on
the street. I think we are having Persian food tonight, I dunno?
Anyway, if you can ............... Do It "Now!"
you ROCK, olde guy ;)

after reading your posts over the years, i had come to believe this was your approach to life - very cool ... and doesn't it feel **good** when you're taking time for you and your family ... as it should.

london's a nice town ... savor the moment :) (like you need me to say that, eh?! ;)

hal

OK.... This is like climbing a tree, finding a branch and slowly shifting away from the trunk..... how far do I go personally to write this.

Reading the posts, death and how and when we go is a common thread. For me, my Granddad passed at 91 and my Dad at 93. So gene wise, it appears I will live somewhere to that area, unless an accident occurs. At my Dad's memorial service our stepmother was threatening us about where "she" would decide he would be buried. He always wanted to be buried near where he was raised and next to his Aunt and Uncle that raised him. He had purchased two plots, one for him and one for the stepmother. She wanted him buried in a Army cemetery so "she" could be buried in a "place of honor" so to speak.

family, huh? sometimes ya can't live with them and can't shoot them for sport!

as for loving again, ( 2 cents) give it time and things will fall in place as you wish.

My greatest fear is of something tragic happening to my daughter. I don't think I ever really knew, or understood fear of the unknown until she was born. Now I have to balance my concern for her safety and well being with willingness to allow her to experience the world, and learn from mistakes. She's only 3- it's going to get WAY harder as she gets older and her need to become more independent grows stronger.

when i watch the news and hear of a tragedy befalling a child, or a teenager it sends a shiver up my spine for real.

My other fear is of losing my freedom- and NO I don't mean that in the current Tea-Party / political fanatical way, I mean that in the mistakenly, erroneously incarcerated kinda way.

I never really thought about it before, but then a friend of mine's Dad got arrested for a 30 year old murder that i sincerely believe he did not commit. Now he is having to sell and sacrifice everything to defend himself against charges that are based on evidence which is circumstantial at best. It's one of the craziest things I've ever heard of.

At this point in life, having a kid.

I know it's not that hard to raise one as many friends who are moms and dads keep telling me so but I'm just not quite ready. Then you know what they say, you can never be truly ready and now is a time as good as any. Feel so pressurized as my wife is dying for one. My point of view is that this world ain't becoming a better place, far from it in fact. No one is bound to be successful in life and parents do have the responsibility to take care of their kids even when they turn into adults. After all, parents did have the choice to give birth but babies were never given the equal opportunity to say they never wanted to come to this earth in the first place. As much as I come from a decent family, life is still tough. Now that I can finally get to enjoy myself occasionally from the endless work cycle, do I really have to load up with another challenge that will keep me even more busy, if lucky, for the next 20 something years? I don't know. Anyways, just ranting and venting. At least there is still Prime for me to speak my mind.

Last edited:
At this point in life, having a kid.

I know it's not that hard to raise one as many friends who are moms and dads keep telling me so but I'm just not quite ready. Then you know what they say, you can never be truly ready and now is a time as good as any. Feel so pressurized as my wife is dying for one. My point of view is that this world ain't becoming a better place, far from it in fact. No one is bound to be successful in life and parents do have the responsibility to take care of their kids even when they turn into adults. After all, parents did have the choice to give birth but babies were never given the equal opportunity to say they never wanted to come to this earth in the first place. As much as I come from a decent family, life is still tough. Now that I can finally get to enjoy myself occasionally from the endless work cycle, do I really have to load up with another challenge that will keep me even more busy, if lucky, for the next 20 something years? I don't know. Anyways, just ranting and venting. At least there is still Prime for me to speak my mind.

It's a decision many ponder but few regret.

My greatest fear is of something tragic happening to my daughter. I don't think I ever really knew, or understood fear of the unknown until she was born. Now I have to balance my concern for her safety and well being with willingness to allow her to experience the world, and learn from mistakes. She's only 3- it's going to get WAY harder as she gets older and her need to become more independent grows stronger.
That was my greatest fear, but now my son is grown and the fear has waned. Raising him, continuously taught me how little control I truely had, and the media constantly reminded me how fearful I should be. Mankind, was my greatest fear raising my son.

Last edited:
cancer.....:frown:

It's a tie between these. Cancer would scare me. I'm not mentally strong at fighting illness. And Love, I want that again, too. It's a lot harder to meet people when you're older. I know women who've just given up and have settled for their dogs or cats. I don't want to end up like that.

When I was little:
I would jump as far as I could away from the bed so some stupid clown wouldn't grab my ankle. (stupid movies)

The old Unsolved mysteries theme sound. When your by yourself (try and refrain from looking at dark places in the house, pretending your stronger than anything)

Cracked closet doors!!!

Older:
-Not being successful with lives at work.
-FAILURE settling for second best.
-Disease (the bad ones)
-having to take someones life to protect yours and loved ones.
-Walking out my room door and seeing someone in the dark who isn't suppose to be there.
-Some stupid bird unloading on my car> J/K

Last edited:
I'll tell you what you don't need to fear. You don't need to fear the reaper.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yRzds1HHkas" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Less worried about but worth mentioning:
--Obtaining a serious disease that I did not take any risk to get.
--Freedom taken away(imprisonment) for a crime I didn't commit.

Most worries me:
--Don't live a successful enough life to be able to see many things I want to see or support a family the way I want to support them.
--Lose the ability of independence.
--Lose love I find(I don't believe the old saying "it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.)
--This is probably the most heavy of them all, very well said:
Losing my intellect. Alzheimer's is the worst. I'd gladly sacrifice everything else as long as I can keep my wits about me.
The bad news for me is that my grandfather died from Alzheimer's and according to my mother it's supposed to skip generations.

I haven't gotten very far in my life compared to some of you, but I have a good feeling it's going to be VERY interesting. I can't wait to keep living.

Last edited:
Most worries me:

Don't live a successful enough life to be able to see many things I want to see or support a family the way I want to support them.

... but I have a good feeling it's going to be VERY interesting. I can't wait to keep living.
i was terrified of that one when i was younger but felt much as you indicate in the latter.

it's been a blast and in spite of some very challenging times, there really aren't many things i would change.

enjoy the ride!

i was terrified of that one when i was younger but felt much as you indicate in the latter.

it's been a blast and in spite of some very challenging times, there really aren't many things i would change.

enjoy the ride!
Thank you. I can't lie though, I don't always feel so confident about the rest of my life, but does anyone? All I can do is put the most effort into what needs to be done and be positive, that's really where that statement comes from.

"Other passions besides self-esteem are common sources of error;
of these perhaps the most important is fear. Fear sometimes
operates directly, by inventing rumors of disaster in wartime,
or by imagining objects of terror, such as ghosts; sometimes
it operates indirectly, by creating belief in something comforting,
such as the elixir of life, or heaven for ourselves and hell for our
enemies. Fear has many forms--fear of death, fear of the dark,
fear of the unknown, fear of the herd, and that vague generalized
fear that comes to those who conceal from themselves their more
specific terrors. Until you have admitted your own fears to yourself,
and have guarded yourself by a difficult effort of will against their
myth-making power, you cannot hope to think truly about many
matters of great importance, especially those with which religious
beliefs are concerned. Fear is the main source of superstition,
and one of the main sources of cruelty. To conquer fear is the
beginning of wisdom, in the pursuit of truth as in the endeavor
after a worthy manner of life." - Bertrand Russell

My two greatest fears I feel are pretty simple; being alone and the fear that no matter how hard I try I will never achieve the goals I want for myself. I have worked very hard in my career for many years and still I struggle just to get by in this world.

And sharks scare the bejesus out of me.

My two greatest fears I feel are pretty simple; being alone and the fear that no matter how hard I try I will never achieve the goals I want for myself. I have worked very hard in my career for many years and still I struggle just to get by in this world.

And sharks scare the bejesus out of me.

Be more scared of donkeys. More people die from donkey kicks than shark attacks.:smile:

You never can know your greatest fear until it actually happens.

For me?

Holding my newborn child while she bled to death, knowing there was no way to stop what was happening. For two hours, my barely cognitive wife and I held our greatest achievement in our hands and helplessly watched the life drain out of her while our parents watched on in anguished silence. And the hardest part was days later listening to my wife explain how she can't even fully remember the images because of the total exhaustion, extensive invasive surgery, and massive pain killers.

And then our NiCoal, our rescue mastiff and canine daughter, dies a painful, cancerous death a short month later. The grieving never even has a chance to subside.

And through it all, we know others have suffered far worse in their lives.

Back