• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Wheel chipping issue

Does anyone have issues with their rims chipping? Every week when I wash my car, I find more and more chips on the rims. I never had this problem with any other wheels before and Ive owned many cars and even aftermarket rims . I live in Vegas and our roads are very clean. I use touch up paint constantly. I'm wondering if this is an isolated issue with just my wheels or is anyone experiencing the same problem?

I have the split "Y" rims. I tried several times to upload some pics but it won't let me. Every rim has chips. It has to be in the prep or very soft paint, nevertheless it shouldn't chip so easily

That sounds odd. I would suspect that since you are in the Las Vegas area that it gets pretty hot out there. Could be the wheel is heat cycling and the finish has poor adhesion and thus is flaking off. Can you see areas where it is bubbling? Contamination during the finishing process could have caused this. Is your car still in warranty? As for uploading pictures the process is kind of archaic and takes time. Z06nsxcts, I have the same wheels that you do and have not seen any incidence of flaking. In fact they thus far appear brand new looking. The Ceramic Brakes do not appear to dust at all, so the wheels always shine. I did ceramic coat them.

Last edited:
They are not bubbling or flaking just looks like rock chips. The paint is fragile and will chip very easily. As for the posting pics, I keep getting "This is not a valid image file". All pics are within the limits and .jpeg

130071bcfa5b33b151d574cc9daf046b.jpg

Just under 9k miles and have at least one of these chips on each of the Y-spoke wheels.

They are not bubbling or flaking just looks like rock chips. The paint is fragile and will chip very easily. As for the posting pics, I keep getting "This is not a valid image file". All pics are within the limits and .jpeg

Using the Tapatalk app, let's you get around this image upload issue.

That's exactly the chipping I was referring. I have them everywhere on each rim. This is unacceptable. I'm constantly touching up my wheels with a touch up pen.

Are the folks with the machined or polished wheels seeing the same chipping on theirs?

First thing to rule out...harsh acidic cleaners....then are you on any pebbly roads....lastly could there be a paint bonding issue from whoever makes them for Honda...

I only use car wash soap and never driven on pebbled roads..... All of our roads are very clean. It's definitely the prep work from whom ever painted these wheels for Honda.

I only use car wash soap and never driven on pebbled roads..... All of our roads are very clean. It's definitely the prep work from whom ever painted these wheels for Honda.
It has nothing to do with the prepwork or paint on the wheels. They are rock chips. I don't know if the design of the spokes make them more vulnerable to getting hit by debris, but there isn't much a manufacturer can do.

I have wheel spacers and I notice my wheels tend to be more prone to rock chips since I installed. That's likely due to incrreased track outward exposing to more road debris. If you live in a desert area like Las Vegas your going to get road rash from the abrasive sand and small gravel that is prevalent. Same problem in AZ.
Jimmy aka sled driver.

Well I have very similar wheels on my daily car (Alfa Quatrofolgio) which protrude further outward and there isn't one rock chip even with triple the mileage. Non of my other cars had excessive rock chips as I do with these wheels. I have to take the car in for a recall and will show them.

Well I have very similar wheels on my daily car (Alfa Quatrofolgio) which protrude further outward and there isn't one rock chip even with triple the mileage. Non of my other cars had excessive rock chips as I do with these wheels. I have to take the car in for a recall and will show them.
Not much they can do. I've had my wheels powdercoated, which is supposedly much more durable than liquid paint, and I still got rock chips. I ended up applying PPF to the forward faces of the spokes, and that seems to help.

I suspect it has more to do with the car's aerodynamics. I know they put a vent in the front wheel well to get rid of the high-pressure air buildup in the wheel well, and they may have done the same for the rear wheels. The high air pressure that would otherwise build up probably helps protect wheels from rock chips.

Last edited:
Interesting that even when powder coated and heat treated you have experienced rock chips. Would that not negate the idea that the paint quality is in question?

Would that not negate the idea that the paint quality is in question?
I believe the paint quality is in question. Like I said before, I've owned many cars and motorcycles; most of which had either aftermarket wheels or have been custom painted and powder coated. None of them had chips like I have on my NSX. I just washed my car again today and found two more rock chips. One of the chips was small but when I ran my fingernail across it, it chipped more paint. ugh!

Back