• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

wheel sizes?

02#154 said:
IMHO, staggered could mean either or both. You can prolly find a lot of examples of people using the term stagger here on Prime where they're talking about diameters.

Then again, a lot of muscle car guys will refer to their staggered setups, referring to huge rubber in back and relatively speaking narrow tires up front, though they're running 15" wheels front and back.

J

Yes, this is where I think we got a little off track. "Staggered means smaller/bigger" is simply a misleading/incomplete statement.

I was trying to be as specific as possible constantly referring to diameter only. Of course wider tires on the drive wheels is typical in performance cars. But one measurement is not dependent on the other.

And the diameter measurement has nothing to do with performance even tough it's suggested that smaller rims lower the front end :confused:

NSXGMS said:
Most likely for the engineers to create more footwell/cabin space when designing the car. It can look nicer too. Staggered wheel sizes have nothing to do with performance. Often one might claim it does but what they're referring to is sidewall size/strength, not necessarily wheel size.

Still waiting to back up this claim, which is the one I originally replied to.

Show us some proof and stop creating new topics.

Zenky said:
Show us some proof and stop creating new topics.

The honus is on you, my friend. There is no performance difference, therefore, there is nothing to corroborate your position.

The fact that the NSX, Ferrari, Dodge and McLaren all use a uniform diameter wheel is proof enough. Oh, and so does Formula One. 13" all around.

So NSXGSM can't give us any detailed info, proof, evidence how we supposed to believe this guy?

It was a good arguments, but you came out short dude. I was expecting more from you and I didn't see it. This case is close. G'night..

Zenky said:
So NSXGSM can't give us any detailed info, proof, evidence how we supposed to believe this guy?

It was a good arguments, but you came out short dude. I was expecting more from you and I didn't see it. This case is close. G'night..

Works both ways: I didn't see anything from you either. Unfortunately you have the burden of proof after making the claim there "is" a difference. I am challenging you. Not the other way around. Anyone who reads this thread will see that.

G

NSXGMS said:
Works both ways: I didn't see anything from you either. Unfortunately you have the burden of proof after making the claim there "is" a difference. I am challenging you. Not the other way around. Anyone who reads this thread will see that.

G

What set up do you have on your NSX right now?

I used to bring my Z to the track with 16 all around, but I was really satisfied with the upgrade I did which is to run 17x8.5 front and 18x9.5. I finally convinced my two other friends with NSX to get the same set up and I must tell you that they really felt the difference as well in handling.

My Z with Yokohama AVS5 wheels 17x8.5 front and 18x9.5
DSC01156.jpg

Re: Wow

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, and sorry to be rude, but Zanky, man, you obviously don't know what you are talking about, and to claim victory in a discussion where you didn't even present one valid, supported argument, is ludicrous.

The reason you saw any performance gain with your Z was due to the width of the wheel being larger for more lateral grip, not due to the wheel diameter being larger! You would have seen more performance gain with a 16x8.5/16x9.5 setup than you did with your 17x8.5/18x9.5 setup. I 100% guarantee it. You may also have upgraded your tires with the switch as well, which is a HUGE factor in performance. Your choice of wheel setup does not prove anything, even if you did have time slips to back up your claims of increased track performance. All it proves is your bad taste...your Z looks really dumb with that setup, it doesn't look right on a Z at all, sorry...

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, and sorry to be rude, but Zanky, man, you obviously don't know what you are talking about, and to claim victory in a discussion where you didn't even present one valid, supported argument, is ludicrous.

You could have at least spelled his name right ! :rolleyes: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I wasn't going to say anything because the thread is so old but,,,,,,,,

Funny thing though is NSXGMS kept talking about the diameter of the wheel/rim - OK, fine. ALL 17" RIMS are 17" in diameter. Don't think ANYBODY'S arguing that one.

But when you ADD the sidewall section width of the TIRE mounted on the rim, 17" wheels with 2 different tire size WILL have different OUTSIDE diameters (with the tire sidewall section width added to the 17" wheel diameter).

Last edited:
Ha ha, yes, ok, fair enough, I won't even edit it, you got me, sorry ZENKY. It's just that his "argument" was Janky, so maybe I associated it that way, hence the spelling.

You are right, by the way! From the FAQ:

Combined with directional tread patterns this results in 4 different part numbers for the tires located at the 4 corners of the car. As far as I know, no other car is so equipped.

1991-1993 Front 205/50ZR15 - diameter 23.1 inches - 874 rev per mile
1991-1993 Rear 225/50ZR16 - diameter 24.9 inches - 811 rev per mile
1994-1997 Front 215/45ZR16 - diameter 23.6 inches - 854 rev per mile
1994-1997 Rear 245/40ZR17 - diameter 24.7 inches - 816 rev per mile

Between 1 and 2 inches no less, depending on year. Curious...maybe it has something to do with optimizing the TCS?

You could have at least spelled his name right ! :rolleyes: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I wasn't going to say anything because the thread is so old but,,,,,,,,

Funny thing though is NSXGMS kept talking about the diameter of the wheel/rim - OK, fine. ALL 17" RIMS are 17" in diameter. Don't think ANYBODY'S arguing that one.

But when you ADD the sidewall section width of the TIRE mounted on the rim, 17" wheels with 2 different tire size WILL have different OUTSIDE diameters (with the tire sidewall section width added to the 17" wheel diameter).

Well, that may be true but my argument is simply that staggered rim diameters (or any stagger in TOTAL outside diameters) don't specifically create a performance benefit. If anyone can show evidence supporting a performance benefit to staggering diameters I will be happy to review it.

I maintain that staggered wheel diameters exist for two reasons and two reasons only: looks and footwell space maximization. There are simply too many modern high-performance cars that have uniform or nearly uniform diameter wheels.

Well, that may be true but my argument is simply that staggered rim diameters (or any stagger in TOTAL outside diameters) don't specifically create a performance benefit. If anyone can show evidence supporting a performance benefit to staggering diameters I will be happy to review it.

I maintain that staggered wheel diameters exist for two reasons and two reasons only: looks and footwell space maximization. There are simply too many modern high-performance cars that have uniform or nearly uniform diameter wheels.

Really don't want to get into it and I'm not going to re-read the thread but I seem to recall a number of times you being somewhat "quizical" when another poster intimated that not all 17" (or whatever) wheels were the same diameter.

Whatever.

Ummm...all 17" inch wheels ARE the same diameter by mathematical definition...17".

You can have a 17x7, a 17x8, and a 17x9 wheel, but their diameters will always be 17". I'm certainly quizzical on the idea that 17" is different from 17" in some way...

Unless of course you are again bringing up the whole with tires thing. Then, of course, I would try to stay as true to the overall stock wheel+tire diameter for both front and rear setups, regardless of wheel diameter used.

Really don't want to get into it and I'm not going to re-read the thread but I seem to recall a number of times you being somewhat "quizical" when another poster intimated that not all 17" (or whatever) wheels were the same diameter.

Whatever.

So you're not going to re-read the thread--?

Regardless, I was already taking the tire diameter (sidewall height) out of the equation. Assuming 2xx/40-17 rear and 2xx/40-17 front I suggest there is no inherent mathematical, theoretical or practical PERFORMANCE benefit to staggered diameter wheels. It does not matter one iota if the diameter of the wheels (or wheels + tires) are staggered front to rear or not. If there is a F/R diameter stagger it is done for aesthetics and improved front cabin space--period.

Last edited:
Unless of course you are again bringing up the whole with tires thing. Then, of course, I would try to stay as true to the overall stock wheel+tire diameter for both front and rear setups, regardless of wheel diameter used.

:wink:

Back