• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Where are all the Production deliveries ??

First, you're not a tech, are you? You sound like you work in the finance office of a dealer to me. Secondly, if most MDXs are sold with, as you say, such razor-thin profit, where then does the owner come up with the capital to pay the managers $150 to $300K a year....from the lucrative service department?

There is zero chance that the true cost of a $50,000 vehicle is a few thousand below that. Zero. I'll wager any amount on that.

I wear many hats at my store. But yes one of them is being the NSX technician.

At just about every store, service and parts, or fixed operations as it's called internally...are much more profitable than the front of the house. In this day and age, new car deals are losses. Sales departments make up for things with add ons to the deal. Service contract, extended warranty, paint protection, LoJack, points on third party financing, and several other bits. Preowned and CPO vehicles are far more profitable since the buyer doesn't have any clue what we paid for the car. But one thing is for sure, I don't know if any manager getting $300k. GM getting a piece of the store? Maybe.

The true cost of a $50k car is invoice minus whatever backend money there is. Some things like a RLX have a ton of that right now. Others like the MDX don't have so much. Someone pinging every internet manager within 500 miles offering $45k for a $50k MDX is going to have absolutely nothing in their driveway to show for it because no dealer is going to lose money on that deal.

There is $30k total room to negotiate on a fully loaded 2017 NSX. By the summer $15k under msrp should be standard as these won't be moving off the showroom floors over the winter.

Where did you get this info?

I will go out on a limb and say if inventory isnt moving by july/august i would expect american honda to provide some $ back to the dealers to stimulate some movement and make room for the 2018 model.
Thanks for the inside #s

GM of Acura dealer (the $30k part - the speculation of msrp discounts of $15k by summer is my guesstimate)
i think stores will start turning down allocations if they haven't moved the one on the showroom floor.

do they risk future allocations by doing so? absolutely, but its better than having $400k in inventory in 2 cars.

#29 white was being sold privately for $185k on a $202k build. It had 3000 miles. Before it could be sold it was immediately traded in. Let's see what it gets relisted at by a dealer.

There really ins't much margin there - you figure a new loaded NSX can be had for $195k with potentially even more discounts. Why would anyone pay for a used one even at $190k? We know which car you are referring to and that owner wanted a new R8 Plus for more power....

At just about every store, service and parts, or fixed operations as it's called internally...are much more profitable than the front of the house. In this day and age, new car deals are losses. Sales departments make up for things with add ons to the deal. Service contract, extended warranty, paint protection, LoJack, points on third party financing, and several other bits. Preowned and CPO vehicles are far more profitable since the buyer doesn't have any clue what we paid for the car. But one thing is for sure, I don't know if any manager getting $300k. GM getting a piece of the store? Maybe.
How do you know how profitable new car sales are? Because people from the owner on down keep parroting it? That doesn't make it so. Dealers have been pushing lojack, warranties, etc. and bumping interest rates for decades. The present is no different than then.

Have a look at https://carbuying.caranddriver.com/ . When putting in my zip code I get a price of 47,354 on a 51,300 MDX. That paltry discount of 7.7% off is a price every Tom, Dick, and Harry obtain after a couple of keystrokes. When I choose a 26,050 Accord I'm getting 23,253. That 10.7% discount pales relative to the good 18 to 20% off deals that are out there. So, through simple deduction, and knowing that even at 20% off on an Accord that it's a profitable deal to the seller, we can easily conclude that as a percent of MSRP 6, 7, 8, or anywhere near that percent off on an MDX is leaving a lot of money on the table.

You're also wrong about people not knowing how much used cars cost the dealer. Whether using black book, Galves, or NADA one can get a very good estimate of what the wholesale is on a particular car, and therefore what a dealer gave on said car. In this day and age, one can even trace a specific car to whatever auction it was sold at, down to the dollar. Of course, you can add the transport cost to the total; either way, there's not thousands of dollars of discrepancies, unlike in new cars where most of the back end money is top secret.
The true cost of a $50k car is invoice minus whatever backend money there is. Some things like a RLX have a ton of that right now. Others like the MDX don't have so much. Someone pinging every internet manager within 500 miles offering $45k for a $50k MDX is going to have absolutely nothing in their driveway to show for it because no dealer is going to lose money on that deal.
Hmm, a whole lot of people reporting buying 51,000 MDXs for 45 and change in the last month.
https://forums.edmunds.com/discussi...a-mdx-awd-price-paid-and-buying-experience/p4
I guess they're all liars; at least that's what a stealer will allege. The one I was at actually did.

A quick little recent story about dealer shenanigans:
Traded in my BMW 5 series in July for an Equus. Signed over the title. Recorded the mileage as well as the dealer. Signed the agreements. Got a call from Hyundai a few weeks ago saying the new owner could not title the car because of a mileage discrepancy. To make a long story short, the mileage was substantially lower than what I recorded. Even lower than my last service milage 3 months prior to trade in. Hyundai still wanted me to sign off on it. I kindly declined.
The service manager got irate, and I still declined to sign. So I guess now some goon cannot title his car because he rolled the odometer back and is trying to have the dealer make me sign off on it....

Remember, msrp stands for "suggested" retail... It is not martial law.

20 shiney new nsx's sitting on eBay alone right now as of 1/16/17. Prices ranging all over the place.

How do you know how profitable new car sales are?

I thought it was fairly obvious that I am a dealer. Or stealer as you say. I've said that I wear many hats at my store. One of them is I see the numbers for a lot of deals. Believe it if you want. Or not...sounds like you won't. But if I sell a MDX SH-AWD Tech carrying a Monroney of $51,435 anywhere near the $45k range, my net is in the red on that deal.

If there are people out there that got it for $45k? Good for them. Could be for a number a reasons. Maybe they didn't have super preferred credit and got a crap rate...store made backend money on the third party financing. Maybe they traded a car in and got absolutely hosed on the trade end of the deal...store will sell car at a small loss to buy in one they can make a big profit on. Or maybe they caught the store at a desperate time where they just absolutely had to have XX units sold for the month (and there's a whole variety of reasons for that) and took the loss deal just to get one more check mark on the board.

Arguing about discounts available on MDX's now?
This thread is so far off topic it's not worth reading anymore.

20 shiney new nsx's sitting on eBay alone right now as of 1/16/17. Prices ranging all over the place.

Do the search of completed auctions ending in sales. That's the only data that matters. Many of the Ebay cars are re-listed over and over again. Doesn't mean anything if they don't get to reservation prices.

Exactly. Nothing is selling. Being relisted at the same price. Dealers chiming in here and actually defending things, posting off topic and forum members who have no ties to the brand are saying we are all ignorant to what is going on? We are off topic??? Okay, maybe my pockets just aren't deep enough for Acura anymore. Just a poor idiot here. L8tr....

I was told by the mods here to stop my pissing match.

10/4 let us know when you do or please start another thread in off topic about the cost of an MDX or how the RLX isn't selling.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

10/4 Mr White. Skip happily like a ballon with hands and feet into Acura and pay way over sticker.

Bout done here anyhow. Enjoy.

I don't have a dog in this fight, however the topic of this thread "Where are all the Production deliveries ??" is very easy to answer at this time.

They're sitting on showroom floors.

amazing it took a dentist to answer the riddle of the internetz......

I was surprised he was able to extract himself from his latest cavity search to state the obvious

There's one on display at my local dealer. It has a nice plaque describing the vehicle. My jaw dropped seeing it. Wish we could get to the root as to why they aren't selling. The interior dash had a nice veneer on it.

+20 bonus points if you can fit "bicuspid" in there somewhere.

Last edited:
^ This thread's really turned into a tubercle. It's on the cusp of many not carabelling any more. Too many premolaritions of doom and progmasticating.

Back