• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Where are all the Production deliveries ??

THREE sold in July 2018

getting to be as bespoke as the chiron.....:eek:

Wow..... and Honda doesn't seem to care about doing anything to resolve the sales problem. They did re-institute the $20k rebate, but then there is not a lot of marketing or advertising..... Too bad. The car is different and maybe even quirky, but I love the car even with it's faults and glad I have one..... I guess the only bright spot for owners is that it's going to be rare someday.......

this is not Europe....:wink:
Just an idea. :) Could you imagine how it is if half of the population is out for holidays? :wink: No car sales, empty restaurants, less traffic jams...should always be that way.

yea but then mykonos is so crowded....:tongue:

3 cars, that calls for a celebration from Honda. No wait, they had it all planned out already to sell just 3.:rolleyes:

Gonna be a rare car, more rare than a gen 1 NSX. Only 1800 produced, 955 sold in the U.S. accoding to the info provided at the NSX Drive Experience I attended Saturday.

So 3 is not a good number? :)

I wonder how the R8 and other competitors are doing month to month?

3 is a fantastic number if you're a car company that doesn't like selling cars! fark, 6 cars a month, then 5, now 3. it's fully conceivable that there'll be a month soon when Acura sells not even one in all of north America.

as for the Audi, other guys have posted comparison numbers. R8's hold steady at over 60 per month. Nissan sells 60+ GTR boat anchors. Ferrari sells every car they make, MB sells 150+ AMG GT's a month, and Porsche sells 12 billion 911's every 30 days i'm pretty certain...

Wow..... and Honda doesn't seem to care about doing anything to resolve the sales problem. They did re-institute the $20k rebate, but then there is not a lot of marketing or advertising..... Too bad. The car is different and maybe even quirky, but I love the car even with it's faults and glad I have one..... I guess the only bright spot for owners is that it's going to be rare someday.......

how is the marketing from Audi, Nissan and Mercedes for their Supercars? i can't recall seeing any mainstream adverts from them either?

the NSX is already a super rare car. i just saw my 4th one in two years in Long Beach today. i've seen a black, two silvers (all on the highway), and now a blue parked on main street...

Gonna be a rare car, more rare than a gen 1 NSX. Only 1800 produced, 955 sold in the U.S. accoding to the info provided at the NSX Drive Experience I attended Saturday.
I'd estimate the vast majority the gen 2 cars are leased......
Will be interesting to see where the market is when all the lease returns come in

So 3 is not a good number? :)

I wonder how the R8 and other competitors are doing month to month?

I have tracked the usual subjects on a monthly basis on the ClubLexus CarChat page, if you want to see some historicals. I stopped posting there because the 2 bit moderator got a bit too something.

For July 2018

3 NSX (help, I am drowning)
7 Ford GT (number may be lower than actuals per some of the in the know folks on the FGT Forum)
39 GTR (I want an R36 next to my NSX, let's go here)
76 R8 (doing well, congrats to Audi)
104 MB AMG GT (this car is a flat our success)

3....wow!! For those who say that people simply don't "understand" the car, this number of cars sold states that people simply don't care. If you have to "explain" or "understand" a halo car, a manufacturer has failed. People are speaking with their wallets and they aren't buying NSX's. The additional insult is that there was a $20K incentive this month!

For me the sad part is that Acura can fix the vehicle but they won't. Adding new colors for 2019 simply isn't enough to save this car.

Ultimately, I believe that similar to the May Road & Track snippet, Acura will make a goofy explanation for their poor performance. They may simply state that people aren't interested at all in sports cars and they will focus on SUV & Trucks (similar to Ford). Then ultimately may abandon the entire NSX program leaving the current batch of owners with very rare cars that later will be difficult to service & support.

Last edited:
3....wow!! For those who say that people simply don't "understand" the car, this number of cars sold states that people simply don't care. If you have to "explain" or "understand" a halo car, a manufacturer has failed. People are speaking with their wallets and they aren't buying NSX's. The additional insult is that there was a $20K incentive this month!

Acura sold 3, and Audi sold 76. there aren't even words for how abysmally embarrassing that is...

The numerics aside.

My ownership experience has been entertaining on many levels.

Here is today's example.

I was at a gathering for a colleague's retirement. A co-worker says to me, we were out for dinner last night and the department VP was talking about your car.
I was like WTF, he has never mentioned anything to me. Then the other folks I was with are asking about the car, none had any idea what it was, including a co-worker who during the discussion mentioned she just picked up a new MDX.

So few sold!

I really do not understand Honda at times.
Look like they are 'doing' exactly the same thing with the new, 2nd gen NSX as with the first.
The first NSX was in many ways a revolutionary car (IMHO) compared to its competitors. It wasn't the fastest, it wasn't the coolest, but it did offer a combination of features no other comparable car had.

Then, with a possible Japanese 911 in their hands, Honda did nothing with it.
They could (should) have improved the platform every 3 years (with ease at relatively modest costs) and keep it compatible with the competition.
By 2001, the NSX would have had something like a 3.5 V6 with 350-400 HP, an improved interior with an updated dash, better brakes, less weight and it still would have been a fantastic car to buy new.

Instead, after 10 years, Honda gave it a new front with a new set of headlights.
Sure, there were some improvements underneath, but for the buying public, it was basically still the same car. And therefore not interesting.

So, after spending all this time and money to develop the new NSX, why does Honda repeats this history?
Have the simply no interest in this car?

I am certainly no marketing expert, but I do know that if people do not know your product even exists, they will most certainly not buy it.
If people DO know it but they don't buy it, FIND OUT WHY NOT !!

If the car lacks performance in the eyes of the buyers, IMPROVE IT! I am certain Honda can do that quite quickly and easy.

If people complain about the quality, make it bettter.
If they don't like the plasticky gear levers, replace them with something better. How hard can that be?? :mad:

Please understand that it's a car in the responsability of the US division of Honda, not Japan. So Japan is not in the charge. So is the marketing and it has been good IMHO. That car itself is good IMHO. I don't compare it to the Gen1, too many years in between.

Not sure if it has to do with other circumstances. Like people waiting for going all electric or the self-driving (or self-crashing :)) cars.

In Germany, there's a discussion about a new generation of teens being more and more indifferent about owning and driving a car. They had a Playstation and play games all day long but the real thing is not of any interest to them anymore. In a game they can drive dozens of different cars within an hour. They do appreciate seeing their favorite car 'in the flesh' but they don't want to own one. They regard it as a millstone around the neck. Some of them also regard some kind of sporty cars (like the new Type R) as 'lower class' they don't want to belong to.
Why the example of Germany? Because it's the country where the first spoken word of a baby was not 'mom' or 'dad' but 'car', the saying goes. :) docjohn indicated correctly the US is not Europe. Leaving me open the question who the typical NSX buyer is. They've a hard time selling them in Europe too.

I'd estimate the vast majority the gen 2 cars are leased......
Will be interesting to see where the market is when all the lease returns come in

A fair point. We'll know next year when the three-year lease returns start coming in. I'm not planning on a purchase before then, anyway, so I can wait.

With the number of sales, it's pretty clear the market has spoken and this car is not what people want, no matter how fantastic it drives. What's Honda to do now? They're not cancelling it....not with all these Drive Experiences they've got scheduled.

As someone who just took a serious look a buying the car and passed, I was actually impressed by Honda's efforts to reach out to a potential buyer. I was looking at the possiblity of a factory tour if I bought one and emailed the NSX concierge to understand if I was reading correctly that it would cost $1,500 to tour the plant (surprise it does while I've toured both Ferrari and Lamborghini absolutely free).

Two people from the concierge actually called me yesterday (must have found my number in email signature) and asked a bunch of questions about my experience looking at the car and talked about an internal meeting they were having on the status of things. They even offered to find opportunities for me to test drive the car.

End of day I think the car just doesn't have acceptable styling to hang with its supercar competitors. It looks like a $75,000 car, not a $175,000 car. I'll give them credit for reaching out though.

Back