• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Where are all the Production deliveries ??

if it can perform on track as well as the F8/720/huracan performante then yes.

thats really want you want, similar performance to the big dogs at a discount....and I could get it serviced 20 miles from home...

The Type R Version could get 250k if they put some of those EV motors from the all electric Pikes peak car they had out. That thing flew it was over 1000 HP.

everyone on the internet has an opinion, but i'm guessing very few are actually going to buy.

that goes for the type-r anything, manual trans, integra, acura coupe, whatever else you can think of.

at $~210k, the new McL GT just kicked the NSX in the nuts and stole its lunch.

QFT

That's the thing, we'd all love a Type R, but I think 90% of us would be unwilling to pay anything close to the huge price Honda will ask.

The Type R is a chance for Honda to de-content the car (lower price), do a big focus on it being developed in Japan and at the Nurburgring (helping to avoid the current feeling that the car is not a true Honda and/or is an American product), and improve performance via lightness & simplicity rather than via more power or other changes that will cost a lot in development. The standard version can remain as the higher priced "luxury" model.

This would revitalize the NSX to at least some extent, IMO. The reality is, the guys who want an NSX in today's market are likely former GT-R buyers who like a hardcore & focused experience, not current McLaren and Lamborghini buyers who want a badge and provenance.

everyone on the internet has an opinion, but i'm guessing very few are actually going to buy.

that goes for the type-r anything, manual trans, integra, acura coupe, whatever else you can think of.

that GT does look nice...plus they snatched the senna name...

Here is what I would do as Acura / Honda to produce a Type R:

- Remove the 36 horsepower front motors and associated hardware to lose weight & cost. Audi has done the same with the R8 RWS which costs a whopping $25k less than an AWD R8.
- Increase engine power to compensate for front motors being gone, which should be relatively easy on this Cosworth twin-turbo unit.
- Install smaller hybrid battery pack due to reduced usage (lack of front motors) achieving less weight & cost. Size battery pack so it still holds a charge on track, but get rid of electric-only driving function.
- Steel brakes, which are cheaper & more practical for track use. Increase rotor / caliper size as needed.
- Remove 1 or 2 speeds from the existing transmission to reduce cost & weight. We don't need highway cruiser gears.
- Install some basic aero to improve downforce, using basic materials (not expensive carbon fiber).
- Lightweight bucket seats.
- Cheaper HID headlights (the current ones can become optional).

I'm probably forgetting a few things, but in summary, it wouldn't be that hard to make it cheaper and more appealing at the same time.

Last edited:
I was pleasuring myself gazing upon the GT-3 race version....

current really only needs minor upgrade/updates.
1) more power. NSX takes most cars off the line. At higher speeds, it falls short.
2) updated infotainment and better interior details.

Here is what I would do as Acura / Honda to produce a Type R:

- Remove the 36 horsepower front motors and associated hardware to lose weight & cost. Audi has done the same with the R8 RWS which costs a whopping $25k less than an AWD R8.
- Increase engine power to compensate for front motors being gone, which should be relatively easy on this Cosworth twin-turbo unit.
- Install smaller hybrid battery pack due to reduced usage (lack of front motors) achieving less weight & cost. Size battery pack so it still holds a charge on track, but get rid of electric-only driving function.
- Steel brakes, which are cheaper & more practical for track use. Increase rotor / caliper size as needed.
- Remove 1 or 2 speeds from the existing transmission to reduce cost & weight. We don't need highway cruiser gears.
- Install some basic aero to improve downforce, using basic materials (not expensive carbon fiber).
- Lightweight bucket seats.
- Cheaper HID headlights (the current ones can become optional).

I'm probably forgetting a few things, but in summary, it wouldn't be that hard to make it cheaper and more appealing at the same time.

All splendid points

But isn't the rule that the Type R costs more (GT-R Nismo example)?
Now let's Hondafy this:
Remove front drive stuff. Now balance is changed and expensive chassis re-engineering work to do.
New hybrid battery. Complete evaluation of currently available battery tech leading to a higher cost unit (due to low volume).
Eliminate Quiet Mode: Extensive software project to remove one function and not impact other aspects.
More power at Honda means extra fancy replacement components and lots of testing to demonstrate reliability.
Steel brakes. New larger calipers will be specced to address the higher power. So more cost for evaluations.
Transmission revision means revisiting balance/harmonics stuff plus beefing up to handle more power.
Aero means extensive modeling and wind tunnel evaluations.
Lightweight seats will be rejected because this car is meant for old fat people like me. You can have a no power seat covered end to end in alcantara.
Changing the lights would cause them to create new ones from scratch and do a bunch of fit for purpose testing.

Word from some insider is that 2020 will have some redesign including powertrain and possibly interior / exterior. Hence the 20k rebate going to March 2020 on existing models to clear out inventory.

All splendid points

But isn't the rule that the Type R costs more (GT-R Nismo example)?
Now let's Hondafy this:
Remove front drive stuff. Now balance is changed and expensive chassis re-engineering work to do.
New hybrid battery. Complete evaluation of currently available battery tech leading to a higher cost unit (due to low volume).
Eliminate Quiet Mode: Extensive software project to remove one function and not impact other aspects.
More power at Honda means extra fancy replacement components and lots of testing to demonstrate reliability.
Steel brakes. New larger calipers will be specced to address the higher power. So more cost for evaluations.
Transmission revision means revisiting balance/harmonics stuff plus beefing up to handle more power.
Aero means extensive modeling and wind tunnel evaluations.
Lightweight seats will be rejected because this car is meant for old fat people like me. You can have a no power seat covered end to end in alcantara.
Changing the lights would cause them to create new ones from scratch and do a bunch of fit for purpose testing.

Type Rs in Honda history have been more expensive, yes, but I think it's more important to face reality than follow some tradition for misguided reasons.

The GTR Nismo costs more than the standard GTR as it only adds "more" and doesn't really de-content the car in any way. The R8 RWS is a better example, it is a direct NSX competitor that takes things away and lowers the price as a result.

Yes, of course all development costs money. It even cost *some* money to develop the TLX PMC, or whatever it's called. But, this would all result in a car that can be sold more cheaply and therefore will almost certainly sell better. And, the money spent to develop the car in the above way would be immensely less than the money spent to develop the NSX in the first place.

Last edited:
Let's be real here - Honda is wasting their time trying to play exotic supercar. Nobody is buying an NSX to be a Big Dog at Cars and Coffee.

Last edited:
Liquidation sale. Everything must go!:biggrin:
Buy this car, so that in 2 years nobody will know how to fix it.:confused:

Let's be real here - Honda is wasting their time trying to play exotic supercar. Nobody is buying an NSX to be a Big Dog at Cars and Coffee.

You can't be a Big Dog at Cars and Coffee even if you roll in with a Aventador, why bother?

meets.jpg

you guys need to live in less well to do neighbourhoods if C&C pant dropping is your game ;) I for one plan on driving mine all over the place after I get it in 4 weeks and just yelling our "I'm batman" for the pure silliness of it (joking). Life's too short to worry about being at the top of the ladder, there is always someone else....

Aventador wouldn't get a 2nd look unless its an SVjayjay.

Silicon valley Cars and Croissants from dec '18. 1 guy owns 3 of the 4 cars in the first pic. the GT2 was invisible. probably due to the color. this is what it takes to break necks around here. :(

View attachment 159971

Easily the coolest husband and wife combo in all of the car enthusiast world. Pretty sure that yellow Aperta is Racewife’s. And I think Ben has got a fixed roof one.

Easily the coolest husband and wife combo in all of the car enthusiast world. Pretty sure that yellow Aperta is Racewife’s. And I think Ben has got a fixed roof one.

That guy is an upper level Google exec that goes all out for 4 wheeled toys

With the recent group of 2019 NSX reviews, it appears that Acura is trying to message that the NSX is a great addition to high end collector's stables.

The messages that also keep burping out relate to the reviewer wanting something more this or that for $150K plus. But the former mentioned group spends much higher that $150K per car, so the NSX has essentially no price hurdle for such folks.

Last edited:

Go read McL boards. Everyone is talking how that car is going to bomb. Other brands eat their own, too.

210 plus options is what 230k? 240k?

not in the same league. and at that point, just wait and buy a used 720S.

i know you work for Acura, but NSX price point is 130-150k after discount. this is what most people pay and expect to pay. at that point it's a compelling choice. For those of us that already have a 911 and don't want an R8..

HaHa I know we are pounding on the comatose horse..but you bring up a good point about marketing and aspirational buying.....first off this car was marketed twords a man earning around 160k...but really who buys a car car equal to your yearly salary at this level.....thus the car is a reach for the average well off person, and if they have precious funds to spend they will be looking at the R-8.911.M-gt.M5-6 ect ...because of brand and thats just what newly minted md's jd's ect buy... now it seems that really the target should have been to the really rich that want a every day driver or a fast dinghy ...:wink:

I should correct my bad recall ...the target buyer income was roughly 450k/yr as per Brick.....

Last edited:
HaHa I know we are pounding on the comatose horse..but you bring up a good point about marketing and aspirational buying.....first off this car was marketed twords a man earning around 160k...but really who buys a car car equal to your yearly salary at this level.....thus the car is a reach for the average well off person, and if they have precious funds to spend they will be looking at the R-8.911.M-gt.M5-6 ect ...because of brand and thats just what newly minted md's jd's ect buy... now it seems that really the target should have been to the really rich that want a every day driver or a fast dinghy ...:wink:

My recollection was the target buyer was someone with around $450K annual income

Now I think they want the 7 figure folks to add the NSX as their nth car

HaHa I know we are pounding on the comatose horse..but you bring up a good point about marketing and aspirational buying.....first off this car was marketed twords a man earning around 160k...but really who buys a car car equal to your yearly salary at this level.....thus the car is a reach for the average well off person, and if they have precious funds to spend they will be looking at the R-8.911.M-gt.M5-6 ect ...because of brand and thats just what newly minted md's jd's ect buy... now it seems that really the target should have been to the really rich that want a every day driver or a fast dinghy ...:wink:[/QUOTE

If they had hired you in marketing this car would be happening.

yessss every new nsx needs contrasting mirrors and brakes...Bricks I just did some research you are right...about the income...but that is still too low for the correct demographic they need the 7 figure guys/gals...

Back