• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Where Could One buy New OEM Catalytic Converters?

Every two years the same issue comes up: SMOG! I've had it with of barely passing numbers of aftermarket and high flow cats. Does anyone know where to get a set of new OEM cats without the crazyyy 2k price tag of those "OEM Acura Parts" websites?

I want to keep this conversation focused on whether there is a place or not to get these cats. I notice DALI used to have them on his site but it seems that the law has changed it so that he can't sell them anymore :mad:

Alternatively is there an option for insanely dense core filters? Something you'd put on JUST to pass a test?

In case you're wondering my engine is doing fine, all sensors and services are well up to date and in new or awesome shape and it runs fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Where do you live? I have the OEM ones, you can borrow them if you are closer to st. Louis. I am not using them and we do not need smog test on 95 or older cars

There are companies selling high flow cats with higher cps numbers (400cps) or even replacement ceramic cats like the stock ones. This is by far not as expensive as the original Honda parts. Every exhaust shop should be able to weld them in. In Europe, the best cats are made by HJS, I don't know if you get them in US also.

Bernhard

So you're passing, but just barely? If that's the case just keep what you've got and forget about it. What year is your car? If it's older perhaps in your state after 20 or 25 years old you won't have to do Emmissions testing anymore so you may just have a few more tests to pass.

Thank you all for your replies. I'll look into the ceramic stuff. The laws are just so strict here in California it leaves us with very little room to work with.

I'm failing marginally. Mainly at the low speed criteria.

i got the angus hi flow cats,and i'm pretty sure angus (wil) says they pass california smog tests (here in nc a 95 car doesn't have emissions testing.) i know you're asking about oem's,but i do not believe there is a cheap source for them-my dealer wanted $3300 for a pair, and one of the good discount online oem sites had one for $1000 and the other unavailable for my car. angus' are around $550 a pair,and very high quality.they're also lighter.i got to know him pretty well in the course of getting the cats,and have since bought some wheels from him,and he's a reliable guy,you might ask him about whether these would work for you.here's the link-
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...t-pipes-and-Hi-Flow-cats?highlight=angus+cats

Last edited:
Have been waiting for a couple yrs. for a report on those. So far nothing? I would think someone here would have tried them by now?

I just replaced my straight pipes with ProSpeed cats to get through inspection. For $525 (through the Forum) I received two cats that exactly replaced the OEM cats, 2 1/4" to fit my pipes, and all the hardware.
http://www.prospeedpower.com/nsx_hi_flow_cats.html
They dropped in easily, although I paid the local Midas shop $76 for the install since they had the lift and the tools. As the unusual car there that day, I had everyone in the shop helping. You can also specify the cell density. I happened to go with the lowest and had no problem passing in NJ.

"48 state" Missed it by 2 States.
In Ca. they are now asking 91-94 NSX's to actually improve the air quality while lugging in 2nd.

Back