• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Where to stay in Paris

I am going to Paris in December and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation in which area to stay, Eiffel Tower vs Arc De Triumph or Champs Elysee etc. Open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Carl

If you feel comfortable using Priceline you can get some great deals. Last November I got the the Pullman Hotel, the old Paris Hilton, for $135 USD per night for six nights. Even though it was a little outdated, the location was great and we were only sleeping there for 7-8hrs each day. We were also able to use the facilities at the Pullman in Versallies after a long day touring.

Look up some some of the sites that give you tips on how to bid on Priceline and you cant go wrong.

One more thing, buy a Paris Pass online. It will save you hundreds of dollars on admissions to museums and it comes with a train/bus pass.

Last edited:
If you feel comfortable using Priceline you can get some great deals. Last November I got the the Pullman Hotel, the old Paris Hilton, for $135 USD per night for six nights. Even though it was a little outdated, the location was great and we were only sleeping there for 7-8hrs each day. We were also able to use the facilities at the Pullman in Versallies after a long day touring.

Look up some some of the sites that give you tips on how to bid on Priceline and you cant go wrong.

One more thing, buy a Paris Pass online. It will save you hundreds of dollars on admissions to museums and it comes with a train/bus pass.

I am fine with Priceline and Hotwire. I actually use Hotwire a lot, I found a couple hotels, one is a 4 star near the Eiffel tower for $103, another is on the Champs Elysee near the Arc de Triumph for $120, again 4 star. I am just not sure if there is an area that is better for us. There are other areas available too, but I don't know Paris well so was looking for advice. We like doing the cultural things during the day, but also night life as well, bars, restaurants, clubs etc. I like to walk wherever I can but cabbing or metro is fine too.

Thanks for the tip on the Paris Pass.

I should add we are only going for the weekend, so a couple days, does it still make sense to get the Paris Pass, will I get my moneys worth or because fo the short duration am i better off paying as I go? I am sure I will go back to Paris at some point and spend more time, so if I miss some things now can do it then.

Stay at the hotel right in front of Concorde Square where Marie Antoinette lost her head. It's a short distance walk to some major attractions. And please do not get a rental car and drive in Paris. Not because of horrible traffic and drivers but because no place to park.

Also beware of pickpockets.

Last edited:
And if you plan on going to the top of the Eiffel Tower, grab a couple of croissants to go and get on line before dawn. When I went with some NSXers to LeMans for some track days we took a side trip to Paris. I got in line at around 5:30 am and was one of the first ones up when it opened that morning. I came down at 9:45 and there was a 5 hour wait to get to the top already. I was the only one in our group to get to the top since nobody wanted to get up as early as me and by the time they got out and about that would killed their whole day.

Stay at the hotel right in front of Concorde Square where Marie Antoinette lost her head. It's a short distance walk to some major attractions. And please do not get a rental car and drive in Paris. Not because of horrible traffic and drivers but because no place to park.

Also beware of pickpockets.

No plans on driving, not worth the headaches. Typically when I am Europe I try to use public transportation as much as possible since it's typically very good. I am aware of pick pockets in the likes of Amsterdam, Rome and Paris.

I should add we are only going for the weekend, so a couple days, does it still make sense to get the Paris Pass, will I get my moneys worth or because fo the short duration am i better off paying as I go? I am sure I will go back to Paris at some point and spend more time, so if I miss some things now can do it then.
depends on your interests / activity plans, but you can check out the details at http://www.parispass.com/?aid=25&gclid=COaw0KLxirMCFegWMgodIDAAaQ .

i find that hop on / off tour buses of cities are a great way to get a lay of the land as well as easy / timely / reasonably priced access to interesting places.

I loved walking out of my hotel and seeing this every morning. :)

MG_4442.JPG

I've stayed in Paris perhaps a dozen times, and honestly never had a bad hotel. Avoid the one-stars, but even most of the two-stars have their own charm. The very first time I was there I arrived by train, and my train was very late getting into Gare du Nord. I didn't have anywhere to stay, so I just started walking and took the first 2* I found. After being stuck on a train for many hours, the bed was absurdly comfortable. In the morning, I woke up to find my room had a small balcony that overlooked a nice little park, and downstairs was complimentary croissants, coffee, and juice. Completely unplanned, and totally awesome.

Back