• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which engine oil gives best protection for a highmileage NSX

I was wondering, which Mobil One is best for the NSX?, is there any other Mobil One other than these 2 bottles???

Is there a difference of which mobil one to use for highmileage NSX's??

One does say for "higher mileage" (white background bottle) I assume this is probably better for higher mileage NSX's and the other says "extended performance" (greyish background bottle with yellow stripe)

Is there any difference which one you use for any kind of mileage NSX's or both is good enough for any kind of mileage ??

I have a 1992 with about 173,500 miles

Lastly, I heard but not sure if it is true that Castrol Synthetic protects better than Mobil One for higher mileage cars. Any members have any info or experience on this?

I just want the best protection for my high mileage engine.

Thanks for all your input prime members :smile:

Attachments

• mobhighmile.bmp
    88.6 KB · Views: 176
  • mobextperf.bmp
    88.7 KB · Views: 169
  • mobilone.bmp
    94.9 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
not a big fan of mobil 1.

i use royal purple in all my cars. saw an oil test in commadore a while back and it totally changed my mind on mobil 1.

im a big fan of royal purple and run it daily on my high heat turbo cars and its been great.

the "high milage" is just advertising. kinda like they have a mouth wash. one's blue and its mouth wash, the other is clear and its "night time". active stuff is still the same. just a different bottle.

the extended performance has more cleaning agents according to the m1 website. i would say its over kill for a NA car. Go Royal Purple for that kind of money.

keep it factory weight and synthetic.

warmest regards

Rob

There are other kinds of Mobil 1. Which is best probably depends on what climate you live in, what kind of driving you do, etc. You probably can't go very wrong if you follow the viscosity guidelines in the owner's manual. Personally, I put Mobil 1 5w-50 into my NSX and Mobil 1 0w-40 into my BMW, and I change the oils regularly.

Regarding Castrol, I read that the synthetic base stocks they use are not as high quality as those used by Mobil. I'm not sure if that's true, but I've stopped putting Castrol RS 10w-60 into my NSX as a result of that rumor. Mobil 1 5w-50 should provide better protection at start-up and the oil pressure seems even more stable at high speeds than with the Castrol. That could be due to my removing the stone guard from in front of the oil pan at the same time I switched oils, though.

Whatever you use, just don't use transmission oil! :biggrin: (attempted humor for those whom read the "wrx owner gets owned" thread)

I think you'll find the majority of owners here trust the Mobil 1 fully synthetic stuff.

If your car's engine is working as planned, even at high mileage, stick to what Honda recommends in the manual (10w-30). The engine will work for a very long time if you keep up with scheduled maintenance.

I think you will find most owners use 10w30 100% synthetic mobile one ....not the blended one.

everyone uses mobil 1 cuase you can buy it at walmart. :smile:

definitly M1 is not the product it was years ago.

I use to use M1 in all my cars till i heard news about their oil.

also wasnt impressed with the way the car felt after a few thousand k.

I like to use Super America oil. hahaha... No I'm joking... Castrol Fully Syn for me, NEVER had a problem even when I had my old 88 Supercharged MR2 with 170,xxx miles

The opening question was already asked in this topic. If the Forums Nazi were around, he'd be yelling at you for not searching first. :wink:

I think you will find most owners use 10w30 100% synthetic mobile one ....not the blended one.
I agree - especially if you look at the previous poll on this subject.

I use synthetic oil because of its advantages; it is more resistant to breakdown when hot, and has better flow characteristics when cold. And I use 10W30 because that's what Honda recommends as the preferred viscosity for the NSX, in the owner's manual and service manual. However, my car only sits during the winter; if you drive it in extreme cold temperatures (below zero), you may want to switch to 5W30. The service manual recommends 10W30 for use in ambient temperatures of 0F and above, and 5W30 for use in ambient temperatures of 32F and below.

I'm familiar with all the research on Mobil 1. It's one of the very best synthetic oils on the market. That's why so many manufacturers of high-end cars recommend it, and even use it as their factory fill. Mobil's marketing materials list all the cars that this applies to, and one of the models listed is the second-generation NSX replacement that Honda is developing.

However, I also believe that there's a much greater difference between conventional oil and any major brand synthetic oil, then between different brands of synthetic oil. So I get whatever major synthetic oil is cheapest, usually either Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum. If you think an oil that costs twice as much is better, be my guest... just keep in mind that a lot of what you're paying for, with smaller brands, is higher costs for marketing, advertising, and distribution, not for the product.

RON98 said:
definitly M1 is not the product it was years ago.
No, it isn't; it's better. Mobil 1 has been reformulated six times since it was originally introduced, and each time, they have made various improvements to the formula. They have extensive agreements (written contracts with technical requirements) with the manufacturers who recommend it (as noted above) that require that any reformulations meet or exceed all specifications of the then-current composition. They have only made it better each time.

Interesting fact - Mobil 1 synthetic oil was originally developed, not for automobiles, but for military aircraft - and not for the aircraft engines, but as lubrication for their wheel and tire assemblies. They needed an oil formulation that stood up better to the requirements of aircraft wheels, which were exposed to extreme cold at high altitudes, and extreme heat when landing on aircraft carriers. They later found that it also had the same advantages when used in automobile engines.

Last edited:
I've used Mobil 1 full synthetic for as long as I can remember.
That carried on to the NSX as well. I use 10w30 during late spring
till late fall, and switch to 5w30 during the cold winter.
If that is not a wise thing to do, someone please correct me.

I live in Canada and I use Castrol 5w-30 Full Synthetic :biggrin: It works well in climates like ours where temperatures can fluctuate between 20 degrees in 5 hours!:eek:

Dam:cool:

Whatever you use, just don't use transmission oil! :biggrin: (attempted humor for those whom read the "wrx owner gets owned" thread)

I think you'll find the majority of owners here trust the Mobil 1 fully synthetic stuff.

But, but, but, but, but, .....my friend did it and he's done a lot of oil changes before :tongue:

Here is my new favorite soapbox for this subject, and my final comment:

Just because people say, "I've used product X with no problems" does not mean that those who have not used product X have had problems.

Try searching all of NSXPrime for "oil system failure" or "oil related damage" or anything like that. You won't find any threads on "Honda recommended oil is not good enough". Well, you might, from people that have no evidince to back them up.

IOW, both standard and synthetic oils have been shown for going on 17 years to be adequate for all uses in an NSX.

For those who keep asking this same redundant question, I reserve the right to cut-n-paste this exact same answer over and over, too. (Unless that forum nazi says not to. :)

I use 10w30 during late spring till late fall, and switch to 5w30 during the cold winter. If that is not a wise thing to do, someone please correct me.
That's wise for those who live in a cold winter climate, not for those in the Sunbelt. The service manual recommends 10W30 for use in ambient temperatures of 0F and above, and 5W30 for use in ambient temperatures of 32F and below.

I have to ask, before the "high mileage" motor oils came out, what were people using?:rolleyes: If you change you oil regularly, (for most of us, it's time dependent more than mileage dependent), then does it really matter if you are using the high mileage motor oil?

Personally, I put Mobil 1 5w-50 into my NSX and Mobil 1 0w-40 into my BMW, and I change the oils regularly.

Consumerguide found this report on 3.2 motors-L (S54)

Engine knock: The 3.2-L (S54) engine reportedly suffers connecting-rod-bearing failures at a higher than normal rate, perhaps because some car owners are not using the required 10W-60 synthetic oil which is not readily available in the aftermarket. BMW is extending the warranty to 6 years/100,000 miles, (2001-03)

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/1999-to-2005-bmw-3-series-6.htm

per service owners manual 91 I use 10-30 (Full Synthetic) 0-100F temp

Attachments

• Oil.jpg
    Oil.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 195
As long as you use what Honda suggests: 10W30 or even 5W30 you won't have any problems. I see people w/ normally aspirated (no turbo, no SC) saying "I use X BRAND oil and never had problems". Well, I'm sure every naturally aspirated NSX, no matter what brand of oil used, will never experience problems as long as the right weight oil is used and the oil and filter is changed as defined in the owners manual.

So, what's the best? There isn't one "best" oil. In the useful life of the NSX engine, the brand of oil you use won't make a difference in real world usage (in lab test, yes, maybe, but in practice, you won't know the difference).

sso_4ball_large.gif

This oil thread reminds me of the pet food industry diversicating their products for upgrowing, thin or fat, getting older cats and dogs. :D

The head of the Mobil 1 development program gave a talk to the NSXCA at Lime Rock at the ALMS race last year. He stressed that with a tight clearance engine such as in the NSX, one should never use xW-50 oil. The molecules in the oil are too large, actually resulting in less lubrication. Mobil intended the xW-50 oils for older (1960-'s and 70's) muscle cars and other engines that have very loose clearances.

Also note that at that time, Mobil 1 was the only synthetic oil certified by Honda. I don't know if others have been added since.

If your car is running well with 5W-30 or 10W-30, especially if its not using any oil between changes, its safest to stick that weight oil per Honda/Acura's recommendation.

In any case, I heartily agree with mickeylex that most any good oil meeting Honda's spec won't make a noticeable difference in a NA NSX engine.

The head of the Mobil 1 development program gave a talk to the NSXCA at Lime Rock at the ALMS race last year. He stressed that with a tight clearance engine such as in the NSX, one should never use xW-50 oil. The molecules in the oil are too large, actually resulting in less lubrication. Mobil intended the xW-50 oils for older (1960-'s and 70's) muscle cars and other engines that have very loose clearances.

I noticed this too...

Personally, I put Mobil 1 5w-50 into my NSX and Mobil 1 0w-40 into my BMW...but I've stopped putting Castrol RS 10w-60 into my NSX as a result of that rumor. Mobil 1 5w-50 should provide better protection at start-up and the oil pressure seems even more stable at high speeds than with the Castrol.

What exactly has convinced you that running 50 or 60 wt oil in the NSX engine is a good idea?

Here in Europe xW/30 is hard to come by. There are some 30 oils for the newer cars but these are ACEA A5/B5 with a lower HTHS value to save fuel. I'd never ever fill in such stuff like that. We usually have xW/40 which works good.

Back