• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which entry level digital SLR

I am looking for a entry level digital slr camera that is fairly easy to use but leaves some room for growth and expansion. I have been looking at the Nikon D3000 or D5000 or the Cannon EOS Rebel XS or Rebel SXi. I think I would like to have video capability, which is why I am considering the D5000. I will be mostly taking family vacation pictures, but some sports. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Nate in DC

Last edited:
If you want good pictures go with the D5000. (D3000 is crappy for the price.. the older D40(which the d3000 replaced) was much better camera and cheaper) If you can find a referbished D40 I'd save the money and spend it on lenses.

If you want video on your DSLR... I've heard the Canons are better at this.

Best advice is to go to store and try them out yourself see which one you like better. I personally like the way Nikons feel more solid compared to some Canons(some people like the lighter feel though). I personally think Canon does a better job on User Interfaces.. so its all about personal preferences.

Just my 2c

As per our personal camera guru RSO we chose the rebel xs.Very nice...more camera than we could ever need.

I have the Canon Xsi. I use the kit telephoto and 50mm f1.4 prime. I am saving for a 70-200 f4 IS telephoto lens, and a wide angle (any recommendations?)

I looked at the Nikon DSLR cameras at the time. Comparing similar priced Nikons, the Canon seemed to have better build quality, and I prefered the layout and menus. I know the video option may seem something important at this time, but I'd wonder how much you'd really end up using it. The SLR camera doesn't make that good of a video camera in many respects for moving pictures because of ergonomics and many video features not in an SLR camera (like motorized zoom). Try both, and see what feels the best. Good luck!

It's not the camera that takes the picture, it's the idiot holding the camera. It really doesn't matter which brand you go with, but once you do you're going to have to stick with them because the lenses and accessories are not cross platform compatible. That being said, I've been a Canon user for 30 years.

The SLR camera doesn't make that good of a video camera in many respects for moving pictures because of ergonomics and many video features not in an SLR camera (like motorized zoom).

Although using an SLR as a video camera would not make sense if you are looking primarily to shoot vids, having that capability does come in handy and can have good results.

<object width=425 height=239><param name="movie" value="http://photography.robertondrovic.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010012201.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=aT00NDM4NDgxODQmaz1iYnc3dSZhPTQwMTI2NjNfV2oyVGcmdT1SU08=" /><embed src="http://photography.robertondrovic.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010012201.swf" flashVars="s=aT00NDM4NDgxODQmaz1iYnc3dSZhPTQwMTI2NjNfV2oyVGcmdT1SU08=" width=425 height=239 type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object>

<object width=425 height=239><param name="movie" value="http://photography.robertondrovic.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010012201.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=aT00NDM5MjMyOTkmaz01SGJESiZhPTQwMTI2NjNfV2oyVGcmdT1SU08=" /><embed src="http://photography.robertondrovic.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010012201.swf" flashVars="s=aT00NDM5MjMyOTkmaz01SGJESiZhPTQwMTI2NjNfV2oyVGcmdT1SU08=" width=425 height=239 type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object>

<object width=425 height=239><param name="movie" value="http://photography.robertondrovic.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010012201.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="s=aT02NjMyODcxNjEmaz15Ymp0OCZhPTk3MzYwNzdfbU45c1UmdT1SU08=" /><embed src="http://photography.robertondrovic.com/ria/ShizVidz-2010012201.swf" flashVars="s=aT02NjMyODcxNjEmaz15Ymp0OCZhPTk3MzYwNzdfbU45c1UmdT1SU08=" width=425 height=239 type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"></embed></object>

The SLR camera doesn't make that good of a video camera in many respects for moving pictures because of ergonomics and many video features not in an SLR camera (like motorized zoom).

I guess thats true to a point. But we shot this entire promo for lexus using Canon DSLR's. (5D MkII) The results rival any good video camera if you ask me...:cool:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WtPRw24oM1E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WtPRw24oM1E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

i would classify myself as a amateur dslr photographer. when i had to choose between the Canon XT and the Nikon D40 in the summer of 2007,i ended up choosing the nikon because it felt a little better in my hands. the controls were easy to get used to, and i knew what i wanted out of the camera.

since then, i have upgraded several lenses (the kit lenses usually are not the best) and am about ready to step up to a bigger and better body, but will stick with nikon because of the lense/filter/memory/etc choices i made.

you should hold both and decide which is right for you.

i believe both are pretty similar in terms of price, build quality, image quality, etc when you stay below ~$2000. when you go north of that, i would go one way, CANON, mostly because of the choice of lenses (think L lenses).

skip the d3000. the d5000 is a much better camera, but the lens isn't the best. i updgraded the kit 18-55 to the 18-105 VR and the image quality is a night and day difference. the same can be said with my 35mm and 50mm f/1.8 compared to the kit 18-55.

From my experience Nikon is more like a Mercedes where Canon is more along the lines of BMW and Audi.

Nikon tends to be a little more $$$, but the camera construction and chassis feels more solid, as if it was designed for a lifetime of usage.

The impression that I get with Canon and others is that they "know" that it's going to be old news soon, so get the camera out with "good enough" build quality.

By the time it starts to fall apart the consumer will be distracted by the new stuff.

I've dropped my Nikon N90S 1 story on cement and just damaged the lens. The camera worked fine and I still continue to take pics with it to this day. Yea, it's a 35mm film, but that's like a 20mp - 25mpcamera, which isn't out yet.

Here's a story of someone dropping the Nikon even further:

http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=442

Years ago there was some commercial of either the Nikon F4 or F5 that was dropped from a helicopter from high up and it took pics.

Here's someone that was saved when the camera stopped a sniper bullet:

http://profoundlysuperficial.blogspot.com/

I think there was some story about a war photographer in Bosnia that was saved when his F4 stopped a sniper bullet.

As a professional photographer who also teaches basic digital photography classes, I would encourage you to look at the Canon Rebel lineup. I say that because they seem much easier to use, especially right out of the box. Both Canon and Nikon build quality machines, but the Nikons are often cryptic and overly technical in their menus and markings. My students pick up working with the Canons faster than they do the Nikons.

Note: If I had my wish, I would be shooting Minolta rather than Canon. Back in the film days, the Minolta Maxxum line was ahead of both Nikon and Canon in user-friendliness and practical use of features. Alas, they never really got going in the Digital World. I had to switch to Canon.

Note II: For the person looking for a 70-200mm lens, I have a 70-200mm f/2.8 L lens for sale on eBay right now.

Bryan

I like the preset functions on the Nikons.

For example, in this photo that I took years ago when I first bought my RX7, I was using a Ektar 25 35mm film, set to "Portrait mode", put it on a tripod and took the pic with no flash.

batman12.JPG

Here are pics taken with a Nikon DSLR of NSXs (the most common DSLR camera used by the local NSX group):

http://picasaweb.google.com/alaintsai/NSX?feat=directlink

Although using an SLR as a video camera would not make sense if you are looking primarily to shoot vids, having that capability does come in handy and can have good results.

I'm not debating that having video capability can be useful. However, in the scope of the OTP's question, if I had to decide between a Canon XSi with out video and a Nikon D5000 with video, the Canon would be my choice.

Note II: For the person looking for a 70-200mm lens, I have a 70-200mm f/2.8 L lens for sale on eBay right now.

Bryan

Thanks Bryan, however, I'm looking to buy an IS lens (and unfortunately an f2.8 IS lens will be out of my budget). I will likely be in a lot of situations having to hand hold or at best use a monopod with this lens. Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for all of the responses. I am going to visit a camera store this weekend to handle each camera. I have always used p&s cameras but really want to start taking better pictures. However, I don't want the camera to be too complicated. I also do not want to have to buy a bunch of lenses. I would rather spend money on my NSX! :biggrin: I was originally leaning toward the Nikon, but only because my p&s cameras are from the Nikon Cool Pix series. I am strongly considering the Cannon Rebel series now. Any comments ont the EOS XS vs the XSi. Any thoughts? By the way, I have looked at many of the online side-by-side comparisons. I am looking for real world experiences.

Thanks All!

Nate in DC

The main thing to consider when purchasing a digital camera is what are you going to be doing with the pictures. If you plan on keeping them on the computer and posting them on the internet, megapixels don't matter. If you plan on printing pictures, what sizes are printing? Also, what is the composition of your picture taking going to be? The best quality of a DSLR is the shutter speed and being able to capture "action" shots.

If you like the Canon Rebel, a great starter lens is the 28-135 IS USM lens. I use it as my everyday lens and get great picture quality with my Rebel XTi. You also have to remember that to make a picture really "pop" out at you, you are going to have to post-process it in Photoshop to adjust the levels and sharpness.

Well I pulled the trigger today and ordered the Nikon D5000

I ordered this package from Costco:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc..._Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

!I cant wait for it to arrive! It will take a few business days.

Thanks everyone for your input. It really helped!

I will provide my novice review after it arrives.

All the best!

Nate in DC

U choose wisely by going Nikon (Honda) over Canon (Toyota).

This is the good thing about Costco:

Their 90-day "rental" policy ;)

ConciergeItemPageBtn_90Day.gif

just an extra idea

check out the Panasonic GF1 with the 20mm lens. It's very small compared to an SLR and takes pictures that can compete with it.

It might not be what you're looking for but it doesn't heart to have a look at it.

I'm having trouble deciding myself between the GF1 and an entry level Canon SLR.

oh and one more thing, the usual entry level SLRs come with a lens that you might want to upgrade very soon. So when looking at the price of an entry level SLR keep in mind that you'll likly add around 300 dollers worth of lens.

Congrats on your purchase! Since day one, I've been shooting exclusively nikon. In fact, 99% of the pictures on my website was taken with the kit lens (18-70)! In the 6 years of owning my D200 I have had absolutely zero problems and the build quality and durability are top notch. If you ever have any questions in any area of photography feel free to contact me and I'd be more than happy to help you out :) Happy shooting!

Congrats on your purchase! Since day one, I've been shooting exclusively nikon. In fact, 99% of the pictures on my website was taken with the kit lens (18-70)! In the 6 years of owning my D200 I have had absolutely zero problems and the build quality and durability are top notch. If you ever have any questions in any area of photography feel free to contact me and I'd be more than happy to help you out :) Happy shooting!

Thanks much! The camera will arrive some time next week. In the mean time, I am heading to Borders to pick up "Nikon D5000 for Dummies" so I can get started understanding how to use it!

Regards!

Nate in DC

Back