• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura Plans to Limit Sales to No More than 800/Year

Back on topic, If there will be 800 a year, maybe 200 of it will be headed to other countries leaving 600 here. There are 270 Acura dealers so each one would sell about 2 a year which is doable.

Back on topic, If there will be 800 a year, maybe 200 of it will be headed to other countries leaving 600 here. There are 270 Acura dealers so each one would sell about 2 a year which is doable.

In 2005, last year of the NSX, 250 cars (+/-) came to North America. Acura had a tough time selling the car & at the end had around $10K cash or subsidized leases to try to move them out. The MSRP was
$89.7K. Other than the first few years of NSX production it was the same story & it was a fantastic car!

So what will make things different at $130K or even less?

Don't misunderstand, I'd love to own one, but right now lots of catching up will be necessary to be competitive & even more in 2 years. For many, $100K or less is going to buy a lot of C7.

Just my opinion.

I think the main reason they couldn't move the cars after the face lift was because it was way behind the other sports cars out there during those last few years

Don't misunderstand, I'd love to own one, but right now lots of catching up will be necessary to be competitive & even more in 2 years. For many, $100K or less is going to buy a lot of C7.

No offense but this is ridiculous. There hasn't been any performance specs released officially and a group of enthusiasts is working itself into a lather about the new NSX not being "competitive." It's not even released and it's been declared DOA.

Lots of people, who only buy used cars, are scoffing at the price range, without realizing that Porsche moves a ton of turbos at $160k MSRP.

If Acura is targeting the Porsche Turbo market, it's going to do it with technology and engineering, not a lower price. Throttling output to ensure strong demand will assure that incentives are not necessary for a halo car, and low volume of production will keep resale values strong; it's good news for people who are truly in the market.

I think I'm one of those enthusiasts but being "competitive" requires you to know who your competitiors are.
To determine who the competitors are we need to have a price range and some performance parameters.
So far we have an indication of a price in the $130K range and a 3.5-3.7 liter V6 hybrid totaling 450ish hp at full hybrid boost

To me the data positions the NSX somewhere against the Porsche 911 S4 and 911 GT3 and that's the main competition.
I'm following this closely because I have a new NSX on order and will compare it to the Porsche.

I'm not expecting the new NSX to be competitive with $240 K+ supercars- it's not going to happen.
The Corvette and GTR will likely have better performance numbers than the NSX but they have no appeal for me.
One is too heavy and I don't like the design and the other has pushrods and looks like the GTR.

- - - Updated - - -

Lots of people, who only buy used cars, are scoffing at the price range, without realizing that Porsche moves a ton of turbos at $160k MSRP.

If Acura is targeting the Porsche Turbo market, it's going to do it with technology and engineering, not a lower price. Throttling output to ensure strong demand will assure that incentives are not necessary for a halo car, and low volume of production will keep resale values strong; it's good news for people who are truly in the market.

Scorp - You've hit the nail on the head about maintaining a tight supply to keep a car exclusive, keep prices steady, and maintain an aura of being special.
Nothing makes a car less special than rows of unsold units sitting on the docks in California

I really had a gut feeling this car would come in around 135-137 base price. That's turning out to maybe be true.... I think the electric motors are going to be unusually powerful or light or both, I think something will be unique there. I also think the motor will be turbocharged. As time has gone on, they have revised their targeted performance goals upwards... And the extra power required from the 3.7 will require some sort of forced induction. Turbos are really back in play and I think there too, Honda may have a trick up its sleeve. In short I think this is going to be a pretty special car. They've really backed away from their original "environmentally friendly" talk.

- - - Updated - - -

The direction of the car seems to be changing on the fly and they are really taking some feedback. While that can be bad because of a real lack of an original plan, it can also be good in that it allows changing fast on your feet if need be. So far, to me the looks inside and out are a winner. Not perfection but very very good.

Last edited:
I really had a gut feeling this car would come in around 135-137 base price. That's turning out to maybe be true.... I think the electric motors are going to be unusually powerful or light or both, I think something will be unique there. I also think the motor will be turbocharged. As time has gone on, they have revised their targeted performance goals upwards... And the extra power required from the 3.7 will require some sort of forced induction. Turbos are really back in play and I think there too, Honda may have a trick up its sleeve. In short I think this is going to be a pretty special car. They've really backed away from their original "environmentally friendly" talk.

- - - Updated - - -

The direction of the car seems to be changing on the fly and they are really taking some feedback. While that can be bad because of a real lack of an original plan, it can also be good in that it allows changing fast on your feet if need be. So far, to me the looks inside and out are a winner. Not perfection but very very good.

100% agreed with you here brother!

Hondas problem has never been engineering capability. It's corporate decision making. That decision making affects both styling, and bean counting that kills the engineering. If they keep the bean counters and corporate stupidity out, which looks like they might this one time, and let the engineers that can build formula 1 engines work, they will probably deliver.

Maybe total fantasy here, but can I throw something out that NO ONE has spoken of? We are all talking about the engine and the hybrid electric motors, but has anyone thought of the fact that Honda is actually quite advanced with their fuel cell technology and have a fantastic car already in the FCX clarity? And that it is possible to make a hybrid of sorts that doesn't rely on batteries so much as on a fuel cell for added boost? With really low production numbers and sort of a "specialty" car, one that CAN run in standard mode but is faster with a fuel cell boost.... would this be totally nuts? It is something that is defiantly different, and would make the NSX a very unique project that has never been done before. On par with the original.

Gee I hope I didn't just blow their cover....

.................steam baby..........................

dei.jpg

Honda is actually quite advanced with their fuel cell technology and have a fantastic car already in the FCX clarity? On par with the original.

Running out of hydrogen might be problematic. Not many places to fill up on H2 yet.
Perhaps storing energy using the Williams F1 kinetic energy recovery device would give you electricity for the motors without batteries?
Or how about a twin turbo, one for forced induction for the gas engine and one to spin a generator to send electricty to the motors?

If Honda can figure out how to recover the 62% of combustion energy that's lost as heat and friction we would have the fastest green machine on the planet
Who knows what lurks in the basement at Honda HQ?

Last edited:
Everyone's a comedian now. LOL

May I remind you funny people that they do have a working fuel cell vehicle on the streets.

beepbeep.........................

I doubt they know more than anyone else. They said its very similar to the rlx setup.

I forgot to say they also suggested it might come out with a rwd only model with less power. Seems a little backwords to me.

Last edited:
So to compete with the GTR and LFA it will need to be twin turbo. the replacement gtr might be the same twin turbo with electric motors too from their leaf in order to meet the CAFE mandate of 39mpg. The GTR and LFA should be their main competition to be top Japanese auto maker though those are made and Japan while the NSX will be made here. Are there any Acura's made in japan anymore?

At one time Acura was something special, the first Legend I got a ride in immediately made it my goal to have one. By the time I got to buy an Acura it was a 99 TL LOL, not a Legend by any means it was just an expensive Honda Accord. A few years later I needed to buy a car and my first stop was the Acura dealer to look at an RSX type S, again not anything like a Legend but it was still sold like an "expensive car". I tried to negotiate on the price, remember it was just an over priced 4 cylinder sport coupe and the dealer would not come down from $1700 over cost. Yes it was the Acura Dealer and they had to make a certain amount of money ;). Now days I stop at the Acura dealer often for parts and to drop off repairs but almost never go to the showroom to look. I use to go up and talk to the salesman I bought the 99 TL from and tried to buy the 02 RSX from but I really don't like his attitude.

yeah unless that car weighs 2500 pounds 480 which means 380 gas and 100 electric (part time) isn't going to cut it. The GTR in 2014-2015 will wipe its ass with that kind of an NSX.

This kind of reminds me of Toyota making trucks. They always made these puny wimpy trucks and the american market kept asking for more. The Tundra was like the 5th attempt after their 9/10th scaled and weak trucks like the T100. They just didn't get it. They couldn't get that to sell trucks you needed a V8 with a lot of torque, room, etc. Took them so many failed attempts. Now someone needs to slap Acura and say "look you environmental weenie maker, man up or get out". I am all for saving the environment.... but you can't make a Halo car with a half assed half hearted attempt. If this car is 130K it better have 600 HP. 500 is a MINIMUM so you won't be laughed at in 2014. If they wanted the finesse enviro car with great handling and light weight it should have been 80K not 130-150 or whatever.

Back