• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Acura Plans to Limit Sales to No More than 800/Year

Joe you are definitely in the minority. I am almost certain we will see a car. It's too far along and economic conditions aren't the same as back then when Honda was bleeding red.

if honda is confirmed to be an engine supplier in F1 then the car will come out also for sure. F1 engines will be v6 twin turbo so wouldn't be surprised if the nsx is also. Turbos plus electric engines should yield at least 500-600hp :)

Last edited:
if honda is confirmed to be an engine supplier in F1 then the car will come out also for sure. F1 engines will be v6 twin turbo so wouldn't be surprised if the nsx is also. Turbos plus electric engines should yield at least 500-600hp :)

And I think that's what we will see. Turbos and electrics.

Where did you read F1 engines will be twin turbo?
According to the FIA, the F1 engines will be V6 single turbo

Uh oh ..Dave is already salivating at the thought of a blitz bov group buy.....

yeah, I'm pretty sure the new 2014 F1 engine is single turbo with ERS. If Honda is going to be supplying Macca, they need to start working as several teams are well into the engine formula already.

But even so, if the NSX 2.0 is going to be turbo'd, it have to be a twin just for drivability sake.

Uh oh ..Dave is already salivating at the thought of a blitz bov group buy.....

LOL no, but you now how easy it is to squeeze more power out of turbocharged engines....

Some reference "starting" price-points (add 15%-25% for options/etc):

• $230k+ '13 Ferrari Italia
  • $229k+ '13 McLaren MP4-12C
  • $196k+ '13 Ferrari California
  • $192k+ '13 Lamborghini Gallardo
  • $190k+ '13 Mercedes-Benz SLS
  • $174k+ '13 Bentley Continental GT
  • $132k+ '13 Jaguar XKR-S
  • $126k+ '13 Maserati GanTurismo
  • $116k+ '13 Aston Martin Vantage
  • $114k+ '13 Audi R8
  • $111k+ '13 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
  • $110k+ '13 Porsche 911 Carrera 4
  • $108k+ '13 BMW M6
  • $100k+ '13 Nissan GTR
  • $97k+ '13 Viper SRT
  • $67k+ '13 Lotus Evora

Interestingly, the purported ~$130k+ NSX-Concept fits right in the middle...

Good glimpse and perspective.

Some reference "starting" price-points (add 15%-25% for options/etc):

• $230k+ '13 Ferrari Italia
  • $229k+ '13 McLaren MP4-12C
  • $196k+ '13 Ferrari California
  • $192k+ '13 Lamborghini Gallardo
  • $190k+ '13 Mercedes-Benz SLS
  • $174k+ '13 Bentley Continental GT
  • $132k+ '13 Jaguar XKR-S
  • $126k+ '13 Maserati GanTurismo
  • $116k+ '13 Aston Martin Vantage
  • $114k+ '13 Audi R8
  • $111k+ '13 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
  • $110k+ '13 Porsche 911 Carrera 4
  • $108k+ '13 BMW M6
  • $100k+ '13 Nissan GTR
  • $97k+ '13 Viper SRT
  • $67k+ '13 Lotus Evora

Interestingly, the purported ~$130k+ NSX-Concept fits right in the middle...

If Honda can achieved projected 3 second flat 0 to 60mph with the top speed of over 190, the only car that can best it is the GTR, and GTR's performance is somewhat inconsistent between publications.

I guess it comes down to the electric motors.

I'm with Joe on this one. I don't think we'll ever see it. If we do see it it'll be after Honda goes with f1 and they do something good like in the late 80's.

If they just launch it with whatever specs they're playing with now with the electronic stuff and 400whp and all that crap it'll just get lost in the crowd of other monsters out there that will eat it alive. It'll be a failed car. Like the 2nd generation mr2. Or the rx8. It'll be nothing like the first one created and just leave a bad taste in our mouths.

If Honda can achieved projected 3 second flat 0 to 60mph with the top speed of over 190, the only car that can best it is the GTR, and GTR's performance is somewhat inconsistent between publications.

I guess it comes down to the electric motors.

Where did you read about 0-60 in 3 seconds?
For a 1400 kg car to accelerate at that rate it would require a lot of power
Could you elaborate for us?

Where did you read about 0-60 in 3 seconds?
For a 1400 kg car to accelerate at that rate it would require a lot of power
Could you elaborate for us?

Gtr already does that and is a pig.

With 4 wheel drive and max tq at zero with electric motors it should be able to do it. Now 0-150 is another story. Nobody knows when the batteries die.

My guess is that the torque curve on the new NSX will look healthy. It should look like it was supercharged with lots of torque down low... I hope there is a good enough 4-wheel dyno to measure it. Maybe a Superflow.

I'm still hopeful Honda won't F-it-up.

lol......0-60...3.5 sec............0-100...8 sec........0-150.......43 minutes:eek:

I don't think the NSX will be 0-60 in three seconds.
The GTR has 545 boosted hp and big torque but I'm not sure is a direct competitor considering handling.
I think the NSX will be positioned between a Porsche 911 4S and a 911 GT3 from both a price and performance point.

By all reports the NSX will have a naturally aspirated 3.5 - 3.7 l six cylinder with some short duration electric power boost which I'm sure will give it respectable 0-60 times.
If we give it 400 base hp and do a Nurburgring type test I'd expect it would do times close to the Porsche GT3.

We shouldn't expect too much for $110 - 130 K and I don't think Honda will be able to sell a six cylinder car for much more than a Porsche.

Last edited:
Doesn't the GTR Black do 0-60 in something like 2.6-7 sec?

Be nice if a, hopeful, R version can do that as well.

I don't think the NSX will be 0-60 in three seconds.
The GTR has 545 boosted hp and big torque but I'm not sure is a direct competitor considering handling.
I think the NSX will be positioned between a Porsche 911 4S and a 911 GT3 from both a price and performance point.

By all reports the NSX will have a naturally aspirated 3.5 - 3.7 l six cylinder with some short duration electric power boost which I'm sure will give it respectable 0-60 times.
If we give it 400 base hp and do a Nurburgring type test I'd expect it would do times close to the Porsche GT3.

We shouldn't expect too much for $110 - 130 K and I don't think Honda will be able to sell a six cylinder car for much more than a Porsche.

The huge Audi s7 can do it in 3.9. I think the nsx will be sub 3.5. I forgot to add the tranny is also a big part to getting such low times.

Dude, GTR is a 1700KB car and it can do zero to sixty at three second.

Do a google search, many publications have indicated that figure. Whether or not it is from Honda is still a mystery. The selling points is 4WD system with three torquey electric motors to launch the car. If Honda have it down to 3100 lbs and 500HP (which is more than GTR when it was introduced), they can do it.

I think Ponyboy wrote a good post a year ago, maybe you can find it.

The huge Audi s7 can do it in 3.9. I think the nsx will be sub 3.5. I forgot to add the tranny is also a big part to getting such low times.

I agree with you that the gearing will be a big thing.
On my 91 NSX with stock gears I'm sure . 5 of a second could be found in shifting times with a dual clutch transmission and perhaps another .5 with gearing and final drive optimized for acceleration.
Perhaps with 400 hp plus 6 or 7 seconds of 100 hp electric boost in a 3100 lb car we could see the NSX do close to a 3 second 0-60 time.

It's pretty clear Honda wants to stick with medium displacement naturally aspirated V6 so the performance will likely have to come from the lightness of the car plus agressive torque multiplcation in the transmission/final drive.
With today's 7 speed transmissions and fast shift times the lower gears can be set up for 0-60 times while still having a reasonable rpm in 7 th gear at highway speeds.

I am looking forward to Nurburgring type tests where braking, cornering, acceleration, traction and stabilty all come in to play.
I am really hoping Honda has some breakthroughs for us in light weight construction.
Then I think we may see the potential of the car and hopefully reaffirm our faith in Honda

I agree with you that the gearing will be a big thing.
On my 91 NSX with stock gears I'm sure . 5 of a second could be found in shifting times with a dual clutch transmission and perhaps another .5 with gearing and final drive optimized for acceleration.
Perhaps with 400 hp plus 6 or 7 seconds of 100 hp electric boost in a 3100 lb car we could see the NSX do close to a 3 second 0-60 time.

It's pretty clear Honda wants to stick with medium displacement naturally aspirated V6 so the performance will likely have to come from the lightness of the car plus agressive torque multiplcation in the transmission/final drive.
With today's 7 speed transmissions and fast shift times the lower gears can be set up for 0-60 times while still having a reasonable rpm in 7 th gear at highway speeds.

I am looking forward to Nurburgring type tests where braking, cornering, acceleration, traction and stabilty all come in to play.
I am really hoping Honda has some breakthroughs for us in light weight construction.
Then I think we may see the potential of the car and hopefully reaffirm our faith in Honda

I don't think it is clear it will be NA. I'm feeling a 450 hp turbo.

In the end, if the hybrid fails they can always put a 600hp turbo v6 and it will sell well. Figure a mclaren mp4 for 1/2 price

I don't think it is clear it will be NA. I'm feeling a 450 hp turbo.

In the end, if the hybrid fails they can always put a 600hp turbo v6 and it will sell well. Figure a mclaren mp4 for 1/2 price

If we fast forward a few years to the NSX launch, all the future versions of todays cars will have more power and better performance.
You are likely correct that the only way Honda will be able to keep up (or get ahead) will be with a turbo V6 like Nissan.

My son tells me there are Alpha kits available to crank up huge power from the Nissan engine so perhaps Honda will go this route too?
Maybe the trend is for Japanese based cars to go V6 turbo and the European cars stay flat 6/V8/12 naturally aspirated?

Last edited:
I want a 10K redline.... LOL... since the GT3 now does 9. It'll make for nicer sound too. It's sound like a V12 doing 5K LOL

Where are you guys getting this $130K price? Did I miss something?

Turbo,
I believe it is from some of Acura's marketing folks. I saw a post where Mitch state that the price has bumped up to $170K. Though, I was at a car show recently and struck up a conversation with a Acura rep from corporate. He was attempting to promote the new RLX (that no one was looking at). We discussed the RLX, but the conversation ultimately digressed to the NSX. He seemed knowledgeable up to a point. There were things he didn't know (primarily performance & technical details) and was honest in stating that he wasn't in the know. Other things regarding the marketing, he seemed rather keen. He knew about the NSX showing up in the Avengers2 movie and a few other points we all already knew. When I pressed him about deposits and pricing, his response was that there is no official policy at this time from Acura corporate to accept deposits, but dealerships are allowed to do what they want. His rationale was that there is no rear production car yet...made sense to me. Regarding price, he was quick and to the point stating that it was to have a base of $130K.

So, like many things regarding the new NSX, there is a lot of speculation.

Back