• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Which is your favorite car magazine?

which is your favorite?

• Car and Driver

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • Road and Track

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Motor Trend

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Automobile

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Autoweek

Votes: 10 20.4%

• Total voters
Which is your favorite? Please also vote which one you subscribe to here.

Last edited:
TURBO:

Great topic.....I used to subscribed to motor trend loooooooong time ago.

I like the little box (i forgot which car magazine does that) where they summarize the pro versus con about a car, incase you dont want to read the whole review.

I am interested to know, why some people on here choose one car magazine over another.

Last edited:
I subscribe to all of them. I keep all the back issues and have them all arranged in nice bookshelfs that I got at IKEA in my office at home. I have all the car magazines from the last 15 years. Sometimes I go back an just randomly pick a magazine and read it. Its cool to read all about all the classic Japanese sport compact cars.

Id say my favorite car mag hands down is Sport Compact Car. Great content, awesome cars, and everything is really interesting. No gay-ass drifting bullshit, cars with 1000's of stickers, or cheezy ass import models posing infront of some riced out wreck. If I wanted to see nice Euro-Asians models, Id like something a little more risque and not involving cars:biggrin: Thats what the internet was created for:biggrin:

Hey Mike,interresting about how sport compact car evolved,in the beginning it to was kinda ricey,but they have elevated thier content since.

Hey Mike,interresting about how sport compact car evolved,in the beginning it to was kinda ricey,but they have elevated thier content since.

It really is unreal. I look forward to opening the mailbox and seeing a new issue. My favorite was a 2000 issue comparing an R34 Spec V Skyline vs the NSX. Great write up and nice to see the NSX throwing down with the supposed "KING OF JAPANESE SUPERCARS":biggrin:

It really is unreal. I look forward to opening the mailbox and seeing a new issue. My favorite was a 2000 issue comparing an R34 Spec V Skyline vs the NSX. Great write up and nice to see the NSX throwing down with the supposed "KING OF JAPANESE SUPERCARS":biggrin:

Great view on SCC and I am a big fan of that issue as well. The annual USCC is something I really looking forward to....:cool:

BTW, my favorite auto magazines would be British's EVO, CAR and Sport Compact Car. The other would be Japanese's HyperRev series.

I don't normally buy US car mag unless I'm flying and have no reading material around....:tongue:

I like the little box (i forgot which car magazine does that) where they summarize the pro versus con about a car, incase you dont want to read the whole review.
Car and Driver does that. Of the ones listed I read Car & Driver and Automobile, but Road & Track is by far my favorite.

I am interested to know, why some people on here choose one car magazine over another.
Two words: Peter Egan. :)

Looks like quite a few like Autoweek!

I like Evo and Car the best. No watered down opinions. They tell it like it is. You may not like it but its probably true. But its like $30 for a year subscription. So I go to Barnes and Nobles and read their magazine and just get C&D instead.

EVO is simply fantastic. Unfortunately, it's also bloody expensive. Luckily for me, my best friend subscribes and he's kind enough to give me his "hand me downs". They're a week or so late, but they're free.

Of the choices you offered, I say Road & Track.

But I also love Sports Car International and NSX Driver, of course.:biggrin:

R&T is, by far, the best domestic car magazine. However, I do read:

- Honda Tuning
- Sport Compact Car
- Grassroots Motorsports
- Sports Car Market

...just as much. But R&T is really the only general car magazine I look forward to each month.

Turbo is by far one of the best Import mags, EVO is sick but yes expensive for paper!

I like Evo and Car the best. No watered down opinions. They tell it like it is. You may not like it but its probably true. But its like $30 for a year subscription. So I go to Barnes and Nobles and read their magazine and just get C&D instead.

Do you know where you can get an Evo subscription for $30/year? Because I would actually go for it for that price. I've never seen a US subscription deal that was much less than the cover price.

Do you know where you can get an Evo subscription for $30/year? Because I would actually go for it for that price. I've never seen a US subscription deal that was much less than the cover price.

Ditto that. At the bookstore I thought the cover price was over $10 US. And for some bizarre reason, a full year's subscription comes out to more per issue than buying each one on the newsstand:eek: .

Re: the poll topic - no doubt that R&T exceeds all the others listed if it came down to having your choice of only one. Not testing minivans and pickups (like C&D does) sure helps a lot, along with decent race coverage (although I much prefer the older layout when all they wrote about was F1), and Egan's column and (sadly)infrequent articles makes it the easy winner.

Ironically, their circulation pales in comparison to the other Big 3. Which, I guess, speaks volumes about who the true auto enthusiasts are in this country.

I subscribe to most of those (and a couple more). But, my favorite car mag is the Roundel.... it is, by far, the best manufacturer-specific magazine there is! Chocked full of great letters, articles, columns, technical advice, ads, classifieds, etc.

-Wick

A couple things bug me about R&T... first, it seems like they hardly test or compare anything every month. It's usually like two or three road tests maybe, and a comparison with only 2-3 cars most times. Not much content it seems. Second, they all too often seem unwilling to voice an opinion. They're getting better since they decided to actually choose how comparison tests finish, but most of the time their opinion on any car is moderately pleased - hardly ever in love or critical. Their First Drives section always seems to basically rehash the manufacturer's PR statement, then say "looks like a nice car" whereas C&D and MT at least say when a car sucks. Finally, R&T just seems to get the scoop on new cars later. They'll do a First Drive with no test data the month after C&D and MT do a full road test a lot of times.

I do like their owner surveys on used cars though. They had a particularly good one on the NSX, which scored as one of the very best they've ever had. Far more useful than the normal "we drove ONE of these for 40k miles and found these problems."

Oh, they give opinions. They just don't go to extremes for the sake of it. I had always thought that their opinions were well balanced.

I've been a C&D subscriber for years, but they seem rather opiniated to me on non-car issues. There is always some column about what they think of some political issue, I prefer they stick to testing cars not giving me their opinion on global warming. Plus their magazine is now smaller that R&T and print quality/photos in R&T seem nicer. I have to try some of the ones you guys suggested here... Car and Evo and stuff. Great replies...

Back