• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

White 1996 NSX or wait for my 04/05 white NSX? notable differences?

As many of you know I've been actively looking the past 6 months for a low mileage mint condition WHITE 02+ white NSX. The only ones I've seen is the white one in DC owned by a forum member and he's not ready to sell and a 05 white/camel in Hawaii. He posted on here once before but has not returned my PM's so most likely that car is not for sale anymore.

Anyways, I stumbled onto a forum member (who turns out to be someone I know) who's got a full 02+ facelift for sale.

My question is there any notable differences in a 1996 white nsx-t vs. a 04/05 late model car? (besides the obvious physical changes)

I found a nice 1996 white/black nsx with some mild mods. The car has 66k miles on it and still on the original timing belt. Clutch is also original so that needs to be replaced. Owner is 2nd owner and has all the stock parts which is a nice bonus.

Would you guys buy a 96 and do the mods to make it a 2002+ or just wait for the 04/05+ white nsx. Cost is not really a factor here since I would be glad to buy the late model if the owner is willing to sell it for a fair price.

96 model has:

Targa removeable top
6-speed manual
3.2 liter

am I missing anything else? other things the 2005 has that the 96 would not?

thanks
rick

Big diference is the 96 does not have the 3.2 it has the 3.0 and 5 speed same as all Na1.It does have obd-2 and thus throttle by wire.It does have softer suspension settings over coupes.

What docjohn said.
What do you prefer, pre 02 or 02+?

What docjohn said.
What do you prefer, pre 02 or 02+?

thanks guys for the replies - 110% I prefer the 02+ in terms of looks....

I was going to do the 02+ front / rear conversions if I bought this 96. Figured as long as it had the same mechanical things but after hearing what doc said about the 5-speed and 3.0 motor....hmmmmmmmmmm

I've only driven the 02+ body and not really sure I want to go to a 5-speed tranny.....(goin to shift into reverse by mistake!)

rk

There is a 98 with 28k for 47.000 in naperville

thanks for the lead but I think I spoke to that guy before - he has a black hood and some Bride seats in there right? Price is his choice but I think that's too high and I don't like his mods (no offense to him)....

btw I'm from Naperville so yes I was originally going to meet up with him late last year but passed on the car.....

There was a white 05 in Schaumburg a while back but I acted too late and that car was sold :(

rick

thanks guys for the replies - 110% I prefer the 02+ in terms of looks....rk

ck your pm Rick. IMO, if you prefer the 02+, then dont settle for anything else.

Check out vast.com ,there are 11 white ones

wow thanks for that site, never knew about that one!

11 white nsx's but NOT A SINGLE 02+ - wow talk about a needle in a haystack! :frown:

I was being told by a friend that the facelifted NSX has a wider fender compared to older models. I argued that isn't true as I am a frequent reader here and nothing like that has came up before. Am I right?

In '05 there were 7 GP Whites and less than 25 total made from years '02-'05
for North America........

I would give up my color choice well before I give up an actual 02+ car if that is what you want. Conversions do not really add that much to the value of the car. You should stick with factory, and having driven a 5 speed 3.0 and my 6 speed 3.2 I can tell you there is a big difference.

Huge difference.

I traded my 1995 for a 2003. Like two different cars.

I was going to do the 02+ front / rear conversions if I bought this 96. Figured as long as it had the same mechanical things but after hearing what doc said about the 5-speed and 3.0 motor....hmmmmmmmmmm

I've only driven the 02+ body and not really sure I want to go to a 5-speed tranny.....(goin to shift into reverse by mistake!)

rk

In that case, I would go with the 02+ if money is not an issue. I don't think you can shift into reverse unless your brake pedal is depress. Maybe someone can confirm for all model years.

thanks Paul for the PM :)

I appreciate all the info - ok so back to waiting for a 2002+ car!

Honestly I was only joking about the reverse gear but I would imagine there is quite a bit of difference between the 3.0 and 3.2 motor.

Patience is a virtue...

rick

rk

I wouldn't let this be a deterrent for you. I went from a 6-speed S2000 to my 5-speed NSX and have had no issues. Also, you can always upgrade your stock gearing to 4.23 final gear like mine and its amazing. I'm in the process of converting my NA1 to the +02 look as its cheaper then getting into the later models.

However, if you can afford and are willing to wait for 1 of those elusive 25 White's to go on sale then do it. At present there are some stunning 2005 NSX's in black for sale on Ebay.

I'd wait for the 02+, so much of a more refined car IMO. I like the look alot more and seems to be an easier car to live with:wink:

thanks Paul for the PM :)

I appreciate all the info - ok so back to waiting for a 2002+ car!

Honestly I was only joking about the reverse gear but I would imagine there is quite a bit of difference between the 3.0 and 3.2 motor.

Patience is a virtue...

rick

Actually after headers and exhaust, the HP difference is close to being equal on the 3.0 vs 3.2 litter.

The main difference is the 5 vs. 6 speed.

Actually after headers and exhaust, the HP difference is close to being equal on the 3.0 vs 3.2 litter.

The main difference is the 5 vs. 6 speed.

There is a ton of other differences:wink: From shift knobs, gearbox's (5/6), leather seats, lights, side skirts and the list goes on and on.

There is a ton of other differences:wink: From shift knobs, gearbox's (5/6), leather seats, lights, side skirts and the list goes on and on.

Other then cosmetics obvisouly. Plus I have a feeling he will mod the car so things like stock wheels, suspension, breaks, etc are not a factor.

He can buy the front and rear conversion:wink: , and the shift knob and shift boot are cheap. Gauges only really changed in 05 and are ugly IMHO. Seats had perferations....but so what?

My 95 is faster, breaks better, handles better then any 02+....even my engine covers are red and I have the 05 shift knob/boot. Only thing I am missing is a 6 speed....oh well, the 6th gear is just overdrive anyways.

So back to engine and tranny....which, if he bought a 97, wouldn't be an issue.

BUT, waiting for a 02 in white....well, I've only seen 1 for sale in the last year. Steve Allen bought it.

I'm not saying don't buy an 02 BUT we are talking 20-30K MORE for the 02....so its not a fair comparison. The conversion and mods will cost alot less then 20-30K AND you will have a custom car that is truely unique vs. spending 20-30K and having a 'stock' car. I know S4play wants to mod his NSX so just giving my personally opinion that I think will fit him best.

PLUS moding a 02+ will be harder to do vs. an older model which you won't feel guilty tearing into....kinda like the pretty GT3 you have.

Definitely wait for a 02+. I had two 1998's and one 1999, and recently bought a 2004 -- best thing I ever did.

Are you the same S4Play from E46fanatics with the black M3? I'm a former E46 fanatic and I think I recognize the name.

If you are willing to wait, then wait. Your wait could be two days or two years. Just know that you may need to delay your gratification until one of the 25 white 02-05 NSXs comes up for sale, is clean, no accident, no paint, mtce up to date, no major wear and tear, clear title...you get the picture.

Otherwise, besides cosmetics (headlights, etc), the main performance diff between the 3.0 and the 3.2 comes from the header design and the gear ratio on the six speed. The 0.2L increase in engine size isn't making all of that difference (and it's only 20HP more at the crank).

I've driven an 93 w/ aftermarket headers and a six speed and the performance feels like NA2 (97-05). Don't get me wrong, I like the 02+ NSX and if I get another one it will be 02+.

If it were me and I HAD to have the 02+, I'd wait. Otherwise if it were me and I had to have a WHITE NSX, I'd look at other years.

Last edited:
Look for and buy an early year model. 91 or 92.
There are always several available.
Look for something in good clean condition, but not showroom condition.
Try not to pay a premium for something. Just find a nice car.

Buy it! Drive it, Enjoy it!!!
All the while looking for the right 02+

When the 02+ show its head, snap it up, and list and sell the previous one.
It will cost you a couple grand to get in and out of the early year, but you will be driving around in an NSX. And there isn't anything wrong with that!!!

Life is too short to not have what you (we all) want.

Brad

Definitely wait for a 02+. I had two 1998's and one 1999, and recently bought a 2004 -- best thing I ever did.

Are you the same S4Play from E46fanatics with the black M3? I'm a former E46 fanatic and I think I recognize the name.

Yes sir, that would be me! :biggrin:

hey mike (swiftvision) - good catching up with you last night, it's been at least 4 years since we met up in Portland and I can see we have similiar tastes in modding cars!

I'm working on a few leads right now so we'll see what pans out. If I can buy an 02+ then that's the ideal way to go. I'm more patient these days with cars since I really want to get the car I want first time around. In the past I was quite impulsive which explains why I've owned 3 black cars when I keep telling myself never again! haha

Officially I'll probably put up my GT3 for sale next week so if you guys know anyone interested, I'll make them a killer deal :)

Just to let you guys know what a car nut I am, already been slowly amassing NSX mods such as the 6000k xenon bulbs, DF parts and a few other things going off recomendations by fellow NSX'er's.

I really do appreciate all the replies and hope to be a nsx member soon!

This is a car I've wanted ever since H.S. (1994) so pretty excited :)

rick

Back