• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who uses a iPod FM transmitter for your car

Is there anyone using a FM transmitter to listen to your iPod music in the car? If so, which one do you have and do you like it?
It is probably not the best way to listen, but it is easy and cheap.

I have that same monster one for when we go visit the in-laws, ie Toronto->VA. The build quality of the unit is good, and I haven't had any problems with it. Occasionally along the way we'll need to change the frequency, which is to be expected on a long drive, but it's infrequent. If I remember correctly you can pre-set three different frequencies on there so you're not fiddling around trying to set a new one while driving if you do get interference. I think around town if you find an unused/low-power frequency, you should be fine.

For only a few more dollars you can get a direct hardwired connection from your iPod to the factory NSX stereo that will sound as good as the CD player.

Here's a link to the photo tutorial that I put together:
http://www.legendtuner.com/LEGENDtuner/upgrades/iPodNSX.html

The USA*Spec adapter can be found at Circuit City for under $60. The installation is a piece of cake and the best part of using the USA*Spec is that you will be able to connect an additional audio source alongside the iPod.

Dont waste your money on FM transmitters or cassette tape adapters. Especially dont spend the extra $$ on "Made for iPod" versions of these things since the manufacturers are just profiting on the "iPod" hype.

heathbar0 said:
I used the iTrip and had poor results, went with the cassette version, never have a problem.

I used the iTrip and didn't like it. The sound quality is *almost* as good as AM radio.
Hard wire into the radio is the best option.

fannsx said:
Do you find yourself having to change the frequency on a regular basis?
Any significant static noise?

You need to change it once in a while not too often, your best bet is to try it out cause it really depends on how picky about your music you are. I find it just fine for my use, but I dont use it much.

Motegi said:
For only a few more dollars you can get a direct hardwired connection from your iPod to the factory NSX stereo that will sound as good as the CD player.

Here's a link to the photo tutorial that I put together:
http://www.legendtuner.com/LEGENDtuner/upgrades/iPodNSX.html

The USA*Spec adapter can be found at Circuit City for under $60. The installation is a piece of cake and the best part of using the USA*Spec is that you will be able to connect an additional audio source alongside the iPod.

Dont waste your money on FM transmitters or cassette tape adapters. Especially dont spend the extra $$ on "Made for iPod" versions of these things since the manufacturers are just profiting on the "iPod" hype.

Thank you for this.

I had the Denson IceLink for my M3 and was wanting something like this for the NSX.
I hate the FM modulators and cassette options.

Yes they work, but not the greatest and they sound like absolute crap if you have a decent stereo and/or are picky about your sound. (makes everything sound very mono) Finding a FM station that works decent is the key, but then if you drive 30 minutes in one direction, you might have to find another suitable station. (kind of a pain)

jond said:
I used the iTrip and didn't like it. The sound quality is *almost* as good as AM radio.
Hard wire into the radio is the best option.

Similar negative experience with the itrip in my daewoo, in my NSX I have a blitzsafe hardwired connection to my harmon kardon headunit, works great.

Back