• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who's willing to take a $25k hit on there car?

I was just wondering how many people are going to sell there car either before or after the new body style comes out.No one will know what the body will look like until Honda releases photos.Honda is very secretive
when it comes to the NSX.I work for American Honda Motors and I've heard through the grape vine the car is going to be awesome.I can't say much,but I have a feeling it will hurt the current NSX car prices.That is one reason while I just sold mine.Before I loose my ASS on it."We" all paid a premium for the our cars.But how much $$$ are you willing to loose? Just wondering?

Well given any car market the price will drop.

Example. The New BMW M3.. Ya alot of people are going to dump their E36 Models and get a E46. Creating more supply then demand in the market.

Yet with the NSX only having a limited production and limited supply of vehicles it will not drop that much.. I dont see alot of current NSX buyers that are going to purchase the New Gen of NSX. Why.. Price $140+ (EST) is a big jump from the current price of $88K.

My est.. the pricing will stay the same. drop on an average of 5 ~ 10% per year.

[This message has been edited by HapaHaole (edited 31 December 2000).]

Honda is very secretive
when it comes to the NSX.I work for American Honda Motors and I've heard through the grape vine the car is going to be awesome.I can't say much,but I have a feeling it will hurt the current NSX car prices.QUOTE]
That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard...... and spoken by someone who clearly doesn't have any knowledge of the factors that create market value.,... This topic has gone on forever and, frankly, I'm sick of it. Tired of people guessing. Simply put.......(and there are many other ways to explain)but,.... A limited production, hand made vehicle has NEVER lost value due to the release of a newer version..... EVER!! Mass produced cars that just get better as years go on...well, of course, then the earlier models devaluate... Don't worry NSXers, don't listen to this insanity; Why don't you tell us the REAL reason you sold your car..... You can all watch the demand grow for the first gen NSXs after the next one comes out.... Yes, I said grow thus making our cars' value grow!!! I really can't understand why someone would think the NSX will depreciate..... that's not the way the car business works.. Argh!!!! I get so nerved.... sorry about the stong tone.

I agree with Nsxotic. Being a marketing guy the last thing Honda wants to do is piss off their most loyal and best customers who have invested into their flagship car. There's no way Honda is going to come out with some thing like the NSX for less money. It just doesn't work that way. For one Honda would be leaving lot's of money on the table and secondly they would errode sales from their other cars. Give me a break, if that happens I'll buy a 360 Modena.

BTW how many low mileage (not rashed) 91 NSXs do you find under $30k? Not very many. I think we're seeing the bottom already and the Targa will always demand an additional $5k.

Resale value? Who cares about resale value. I didn't buy my NSX because I thought it would be a good investment. By the same token, my love for the '91-'02 NSX will not change regardless of what the new model will be. My '92 is paid for and the money is spent; it is a keeper.

ASIDE: Brody, no flame but as a Honda employee, you would no doubt have taken advantage of the employee purchase/lease plan and you would not lose as much money as you suggest you would lose. (I know, I reviewed the benefits package before I turned down a job at Honda R&D!!). PS. Brody, you are right. The new NSX will be amazing.

On the topic of the new NSX. Many have speculated that it will either cost $55K or $100K+. My theory is this.... The actual NSX will not be priced lower than the current price. That would be a business and marketing "no-no". Please, Honda is not stupid! The new NSX will be V8 and be $90K plus. However, it is not unimaginable that the rumors of a $55K price tag, front engine (etc. etc.) actually refers to a new model based on the S2000. Maybe a coupe with slicker styling? Why not? Noone has even considered a new model in the Acura/Honda lineup...

My 0.02.

Well, since I just returned home last night from the NSXFlorida track event at Sebring, I don't think the value of the current models is going to suffer. Once again I am overwhelmed at how great of a performer the NSX is, and most people interested in purchasing an NSX realize this too. NSX purchasers are not like Prowler purchasers whoo took a 60K loss after paying 40-50K over MSRP. I think that your observations are premature Brody and at least a respectful owner now owns your NSX.

I agree with Nsxotic...The rarity of these cars will almost guarantee that a newer model will have very little effect on the market price of the current generation...I would have paid the same price for my NSX regardless of any news about the newer model.

The 360 Modena is a much better car than the F355. And yet the demand INCREASED the value of the F355. That's a fact.

------------------
94 Red & Tan NSX 5spd
1999 Cosmos BMW M Coupe 5spd

Two questions for Brody..
1) What's the difference between "there" and "their"?
2) Just how many cars do you wash a day at the American Honda Motors dealership?

I doubt you owned an NSX and I seriously doubt you purchased a new NSX and sold it to save yourself $25K.

I do believe that you are dreaming of getting a NSX at a bargain basement price.

Flying Low:

Bona-fide curiosity, did the 355's in fact go up after the 360's? Do you know if the plain 360 Coupes out of the premium area yet (or does that just not happen with Ferraris?)

Bill:

>>1) What's the difference between "there" and "their"?

Brutal stab for Brody, but extremely funny.

Ralph

P.s.: Took some cool pictures at the Ferrari Challenge last month, they had a couple of 512 Le-Mans cars, dated but impressive! Besides the fact that they cut the race short due to the 360's catching fire all went well
smile.gif

If the car would suffer a loss, then I might be able to figure how much I'd be willing to lose.......however, I could not possibly answer how much I'd be willing to "loose". Actually, I can't even make sense of that....
biggrin.gif

Yep, Brody definitely let the cat out of the bag on this post....
smile.gif
It's amazing how much you can learn from the written word... verbage and spelling.... he's sounds about 16 yrs. old... Quotes aroung the word "We"....means he never had an NSX...... etc... oh, how I love this site!

------------------
nsx_02.jpg

Todd Arnold
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

[This message has been edited by Nsxotic (edited 03 January 2001).]

Ouch. You guys are brutal w/ one another. Reminds me of those "fighting" fish that gum each other until one dies from exhaustion. I hope I never make a grammatical error w/ you guys around.

Shawn

Originally posted by rquintero:
...did the 355's in fact go up after the 360's?

Ralph

About 1 1/2 half ago I was orginally going to pick up a 355 before I decided buy the NSX (I wanted a daily driver). What I found was 96/97 355 Berlenetta's were going for about $115k in good condition with the Spider going for around $135k. I haven't looked lately but with the 360 Modena showing up I to wonder if the price has gone up.

Hi Hejo, about 1.5 years ago I wanted a 355 too but found them to still be much too high. I was really hoping the 360's popularity would help me out there.

Now I'd still like a 355 (coupe) as a toy (not an NSX replacement), but only if and when they come down - apparently that won't be for a while. Oh well, no real rush. In reality my next toy $$ will likely go towards a Ford Spec Racer or a Reynard open wheel - gotta do some more homework first.

And not to loose the spirit of this thread, I wholeheartedly agree that we shouldn't bash the originator simply because he can't write more better. Poor grammer isnot the bestest ways to judge someone.

Actually I'll be waiting for several years now for that 355 or more like a 360. I bet my son 2 years ago he couldn't get into a top college. Damn... now he's going cost me $36k/year to attend school - ouch! That's hitting my toy fund pretty hard.

Originally posted by rquintero:
we shouldn't bash the originator simply because he can't write more better. Poor grammer isnot the bestest ways to judge someone.

Ok stoppa its a starttena toa hurt!

[This message has been edited by hejo (edited 03 January 2001).]

I agree that making fun of someone's grammer is uncalled for. I'm sure my english isn't perfect. In fact it is my second language. I got in the US to study 7 yrs ago. And since I have fallen in love with America. My english speaking ability doesn't potray my education level.

And Nsxotic, using foul language doesn't tell your education level or age either!!

I'm definatly not worried about the value of my Nsx dropping for a few reasons;
1 I bought it used (already depreciated)
2 I plan on keeping it long term (there's nsx's out there with over 100,000 miles)RELIABLE!
3 very few out there (not you average civic or bmw)
4 awesome performance!
I think that the NASDAQ market being down big will effect the prices more than the next-gen NSX
Just my opinion
PAUL M
95 blk-t

I just stopped by Ron Tonkin Gran Turismo a few days back and they are STILL asking something like 120K for '97's. It shows very little depreciation for the F-355's even though the 360's have come out.

Value of cars depreciate no matter what(with exception to very few cars). Some depreciate faster than others. Buying cars as an investment is definitely not the right mindset. The NSX is meant to be driven and enjoyed on the road and depreciation is part of owning a car.

Flaming people for asking for an opinion is wrong. Why I love this site so much is the incredible amount of info I can get and being able to share the opinions of fellow NSX enthusiasts. Some come here because they own an NSX and some come here because they love what the NSX is even though they've never had the chance to drive one or even sit in one.

I've come to respect many of the "regulars" here, but some of the responses I've seen(from other posts as well) are a bit "excessive". Let's try to set good examples here as we are a small group of people privileged enough to even own and drive an NSX.

Jeez........I guess I rubbed a few people the wrong way.I'm sorry if I spelled "their" incorrectly.By the way Nsxotic,I have owned a
1997 NSXT thanks to a strong stock market.I bought my car used with 2832 miles on it and owned it for 21 months.I then sold it for the same amount as I paid for it after driving 7000 miles.The first owner took the hit.
I'm sorry if I did offend anyone who owns a NSX.I also bought the car not for a investment-but sheer kick ass fun! I was very lucky to find the right buyer.I sold the car in just two days.
Anyways.......I will buy another Nsx,hopefully the new NSX.
V8-wow can't imagine how fast it will be,its already damn fast!

Hejo, I can only hope that in a few years my kids will give me the "problem" of admittance to a top college! Good job!

Andrie, like Nsxotic said, all in good fun - english was my 4th or 5th language after all.

Back on the thread, interesting to note that 355 prices seem oblivious to the bigger and better 360.

And as the thread originator eloquently points out on today's message, we get our NSX's to enjoy but it sure is a nice fringe benefit that they seem to hold their value so well.

And yes, I bet he wrote that second message all by himself! I could, however, make a couple of comments on his punctuation habits...
wink.gif
(just kidding!)

Originally posted by Andrie Hartanto:
I agree that making fun of someone's grammer is uncalled for. I'm sure my english isn't perfect.

I apologize if I offended anyone with my comments as they too were all intended in good fun. I’m sure at times my English isn’t that good either and it’s my first language. Late at night typing after the family goes to bed doesn’t help either I'm sure. And as far as my italiano I hope I've not offended anyone as la maggior parte del tempo il mio italiano non buono affatto.

Back to the thread...

I've actually owned a few cars that haven't lost value and some I've made some decent money on (Mustang). However I've never owned a new car that I didn't take a hit on once it left the lot.

Also I didn't buy my NSX as an investment either. I bought it because my wife kept bugging me with life is not a dress rehearsal so live it to the fullest. So I'm trying to live it to the fullest and not let my son have all my cash before I'm too old to climb into a car like an NSX. It's the young mistress thing that has her really bugged now... :) hehehe just kidding.

Brody - I'm wondering did you pickup the Yellow one at Bellevue Acura with the race mods? I looked at that one but I couldn't get my wife past the yellow. Wouldn't you know it a year later and now she likes the yellow. That was a nice ride.

[This message has been edited by hejo (edited 04 January 2001).]

hejo- No I did not buy my car from Acura of Bellevue.I know exactly which car your talking about though.I picked mine up from a private owner in Lynwood area.I removed my RM DTM exhaust,intake,and Zanardi shift knob from the car before I sold it.My car was stock when I bought it.Know anyone looking for some parts?

Back