• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Who's your Daddy...the Cayman & the NSX

Had a ride in Cayman GT4. Similar construction cues to 15yr older NSX such as aluminium construction, mid-engined six, 6 speed manual. It would eat an NSX but so it should with 15more years in tyre and brake development & a larger engine. However it would be a painful day driver, not necessarily a pleasant noise (?removal of sound deadening) and a less than comfortable ride on usual Aussie roads,i.e. not billiard table smooth. The paint finish was not as good either. I still fail to understand why the black art of suspension design remains elusive,( big wheels and low profile tyres are no excuse) and thus magnifies the achievement of the NSX engineers all those years ago. Would I have a Cayman GT4; of course, but have mainstream performance cars really improved since the NSX upped the ante. Perhaps the NSX-R would be a better comparison but then would you choose the Cayman?_DSC7205.jpg

I have a 1991 NSX and a 2014 Cayman S 6 sp and I agree with a lot of what you have said. It does feel like the natural evolution of the NSX. I feel the biggest difference between the 2 is steering feel. They are both very good cars as daily drivers.

85DB02A3-6F61-4152-8265-415E425260E4_zps15ffkirb.jpg

I have a 6-speed 2009 Cayman S (987.2) and a 5-speed 91 NSX. Steering feel is amazing on both with this generation of Cayman being the last with hydraulic assist. The 09-12 Cayman S has a 320 hp 3.4L DFI flat-six and curb weight under 3000 lbs so acceleration is good. With decent cargo space and gas mileage, I feel that it's really practical for being a 2-seater sports car. I want to say the NSX is a bit more raw (understandably being nearly 20 years older) but I derive as much joy if not more from driving it.

Last edited:
Just to chime in - I have a 2013 Boxster S along with my 96 NSX. The last week, I had the NSX out getting a timing belt / WP job done, so I had a good solid week of driving the boxster S.

By the numbers, the boxster S would eat my NSX alive in every measurable category. It feels torquier and more linear from down low, and grippier too. It's nimble as all hell and *sticks*. Steering feedback is great as is brake pedal feel. The flat 6 sounds better stock with PSE than my c30a does with the headers and exhaust. It's a fantastic car. Had I never driven the NSX I probably would pick it as "top driver's car" of all the cars I've owned and driven with the exception of the lotus elise (which has its own share of problems and compromises to get that title).

But, I still notice all the things my 21-year old NSX does so well, sometimes better, than the boxster S. When I yank the wheel - the NSX goes. In the boxster S, it's still lightyears ahead in response time compared to even other high end sports cars - but there's still a "squish" in the body and suspension before it plants and goes. The NSX just flows with zero lag time between input and response.

The biggest difference to me though, is the ergonomics. The boxster S is such a small car - yet it felt like I was driving a bathtub. High sills and large feeling compared to the snug, jet-fighter cocoon of the NSX. Visibility kicks the boxster's coffin feeling to the curb easily. the 981S scrapes everywhere - while the NSX does not despite the roofline and beltline being an inch lower (and the 981S is on the lowered sport suspension with 20" carrera wheels as well).

In most quantifiable ways, yes the 981S is a better car on paper. I'll take the NSX any day, though. It's the intangibles that the NSX excels in, and you can't buy/build that stuff easily by throwing faster, bigger, better parts on it. The NSX is greater than the sum of its parts.

Last edited:
Great thread, guys! I'm interested in buying a (used) Cayman at some point and, as I have no plans on parting with my NSX, would probably be forced to drive the Cayman as a daily driver year round, unfortunately to include on snow covered roads that see road salt. I'd prefer to leave it in the garage all winter with the NSX but don't see the wife buying off on my having two "toys" that both sit all winter.

Great thread, guys! I'm interested in buying a (used) Cayman at some point and, as I have no plans on parting with my NSX, would probably be forced to drive the Cayman as a daily driver year round, unfortunately to include on snow covered roads that see road salt. I'd prefer to leave it in the garage all winter with the NSX but don't see the wife buying off on my having two "toys" that both sit all winter.

I was in the same situation re the wife - had to show her articles of certain cars going up in value - that helped a lot in getting my current 90's and 2000's car collection which are all not going to be winter driven. Maybe that will help avoid continuous fights and arguments

The boxster S is such a small car - yet it felt like I was driving a bathtub. High sills and large feeling compared to the snug, jet-fighter cocoon of the NSX. Visibility kicks the boxster's coffin feeling to the curb easily.

^^^ This. I cannot get over how bathtub like nearly every new car is today. The non-astute will usually claim this trend is solely due to safety regulations. But I believe most people today actually desire the bathtub/coffin feeling since it provides them with a feeling of protection from the outside world. I recently sat in an 87 Civic hatchback. The dash in that thing might be even lower than the NSX. Man, do you feel exposed! I'm certain that someone who's used to driving only modern cars would be put off by this feeling.

^^^ This. I cannot get over how bathtub like nearly every new car is today. The non-astute will usually claim this trend is solely due to safety regulations. But I believe most people today actually desire the bathtub/coffin feeling since it provides them with a feeling of protection from the outside world. I recently sat in an 87 Civic hatchback. The dash in that thing might be even lower than the NSX. Man, do you feel exposed! I'm certain that someone who's used to driving only modern cars would be put off by this feeling.

Yes!! I think a lot of us NSX drivers see this as a big plus - feeling exposed. A lot of us, I'm guessing, have dreamed of unassisted free flight all our lives, and this gets us close! I took my friend for a ride in the NSX - he's a C7 stingray driver, and had a C5 vette before that. He said he was really uncomfortable with the feeling/sensation that if we were to get in a crash there's nothing in front of him to protect him, and with the super low dash and cowl he said he was afraid he'd fly out the window if I tapped the brakes too hard.

I just smiled and told him "that's what makes this car so fun and exciting." He didn't get it and I think he prefers his bathtub coffin car (a fast and mean sounding one at that though!)

GT4 is a great modern car - there's a similar thread on s2ki about this car vs s2000.

The yellow on both cars look AMAZING! :)

Both cars have the proper tranny, proper suspension and given the 15 year gap - both cars will remain amazing 10 years from now. The NSX has proven itself as it has aged very well over the years. Porsche has a great racing heritage as well so I think both are a fair comparison.

that 's interesting, you just said "man, do you feel exposed" as though it's definitely a negative thing.

which makes perfect sense, if people feel something is more comparatively dangerous, no reason they'd be alright with it.

but then kertong says it like it's a positive thing:

Yes!! I think a lot of us NSX drivers see this as a big plus - feeling exposed. A lot of us, I'm guessing, have dreamed of unassisted free flight all our lives, and this gets us close! I took my friend for a ride in the NSX - he's a C7 stingray driver, and had a C5 vette before that. He said he was really uncomfortable with the feeling/sensation that if we were to get in a crash there's nothing in front of him to protect him, and with the super low dash and cowl he said he was afraid he'd fly out the window if I tapped the brakes too hard.

I just smiled and told him "that's what makes this car so fun and exciting." He didn't get it and I think he prefers his bathtub coffin car (a fast and mean sounding one at that though!)

it's all a safety regulations thing, not a manufacturer aesthetic design thing. bathtub coffin car, nice nickname.

if you love feeling exposed and free, get a motorcycle. it's without comparison... :wink:

I owned an 07 Cayman S at the same time as my NSX (I love mid engine cars).

I love them both, I sold the Cayman but still have the NSX, so you know which one I liked better. To be fair I sold the Cayman S to buy a 993 Turbo.

I probably would buy another Cayman S some day, make a great daily driver and you can fit your hockey equipment in both trunks.

Back