• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why did you buy an NSX?

In 2007, a deal I made on a 2006 P. Cayman S fell through. The seller changed his mind after I gave him a $1000.00 deposit. He returned my deposit and said it was no longer for sale. I was pissed!
Looking for another Cayman, I stumbled across a '91 NSX with <30,000 miles.
I was wanting a mid-engine car, and this fit the bill. After a bunch of research, I purchased the NSX for $30,000 less than the P. Cayman.

I still like the P. Cayman S, but you know, the NSX is more unique and more comfortabe to drive. I think the fun factor is much higher as well.

In 2007, a deal I made on a 2006 P. Cayman S fell through. The seller changed his mind after I gave him a $1000.00 deposit. He returned my deposit and said it was no longer for sale. I was pissed!
Looking for another Cayman, I stumbled across a '91 NSX with <30,000 miles.
I was wanting a mid-engine car, and this fit the bill. After a bunch of research, I purchased the NSX for $30,000 less than the P. Cayman.

I still like the P. Cayman S, but you know, the NSX is more unique and more comfortabe to drive. I think the fun factor is much higher as well.

Drive a 19 year old Boxster with high miles - they feel like a plasticky piece of DOO DOO! There is no comparison between the build quality of the NSX and the Cayman or Boxster. They're fine while they have low miles on em. They're better inside now than they used to be too. But still put 60k miles on each and give em 10 years and see which one feels better. I think it would surprise you greatly if you could do that test.

Well ... in 1990 I stumbled over the nsx at a car show and was so taken with the styling and specs that I handed over a deposit to secure my place in the queue when the cars were available. Shortly thereafter Acura invited several prospective purchasers to experience the car at a local racetrack which totally sealed the deal for me. I was soooo impressed that I was lusting at the opportunity of owning it. At the time, I was driving a Porsche 911 SC which I had picked up directly from the factory in Stuttgart ( having driven it for several years in europe before bringing it back to North America). Nevertheless I remember feeling that the NSX was way more refined and comfortable to drive....aggressive cornering with the mid-engine NSX as opposed to the rear engine Porsche was really exhilirating and a whole lot safer. 19 years of ownership later, I still relish driving the car and am amazed as to the minimal maintenance cost especially when compared to most other exotics.

Wow, we have an original owner here! 19 years with the car and stil brings a smile...incredible!

For me it was the combination of exotic car looks with the reliability of a Honda. That seems to be the consensus when I talk to other owners. I've had a poster of one on my wall all throughout highschool, college, professional school and it was never an option to consider anything else.

Drive a 19 year old Boxster with high miles - they feel like a plasticky piece of DOO DOO! There is no comparison between the build quality of the NSX and the Cayman or Boxster. They're fine while they have low miles on em. They're better inside now than they used to be too. But still put 60k miles on each and give em 10 years and see which one feels better. I think it would surprise you greatly if you could do that test.

Funny thing Tim. I just bought a 2004 Boxster S and love the car. It feels a lot tighter than my 1994 NSX. Driving them back to back I can definitely feel the differences between a newer and older car.

Funny thing Tim. I just bought a 2004 Boxster S and love the car. It feels a lot tighter than my 1994 NSX. Driving them back to back I can definitely feel the differences between a newer and older car.

That's a better car than the one I drove for the day Doc. I'm sure the 04 isn't so bad and it's a "S". The one I drove was an earlier model - had seen 100k miles and it was fairly beat and a 986 model. It didn't feel as good as my 44k 19yr old 91 NSX I can tell you that. It was the first gen Boxster and I did not like it and the shifter felt rubbery.

I bet your S is nice with low miles and really taken care of- there are a lot of em out there. I bet you've been lusting after that new Spyder....now haven't you.......me too! I just got my new Excellence magazine and I pour over ever artical! I still love Porsches - you bet. But first gen Boxster to first gen NSX - I'll take the NSX everytime! You can get some smokin deals on Boxsters right now - uesed ones that is. Wait a few years and those Spyders will have come waaaaaay down. I love that new soft top on it don't you?

...You can get some smokin deals on Boxsters right now - uesed ones that is...

Oh yes you can. I got a triple black with upgraded 18" Carrera S wheels,and only 15k on the odo for $25k. I don't think a 1991 NSX with over 100k on the odo would be as nice of a car. Oh, the B&M short shift kit on the Boxster makes the NSX throw feel like a 3 series BMW.

Last edited:
I have to add something which may or may not be important to you. As a car enthusiast, you look for fellow enthusiasts who share the same passion. You not only buy a car, but you also buy into the community. The NSX community cannot be beat. By far one of the best I have ever seen or been a part of.

+1 :cool:

Oh yes you can. I got a triple black with upgraded 18" Carrera S wheels,and only 15k on the odo for $25k. I don't think a 1991 NSX with over 100k on the odo would be as nice of a car. Oh, the B&M short shift kit on the Boxster makes the NSX throw feel like a 3 series BMW.

Wow Boxsters are that cheap now? What year was yours out of curiosity?

Let me pose this question: for a DD and fun spare car, would you rather have a Boxster/Cayman or an s2000 supercharged? I'm looking for another toy right now :)

Short answer: I honestly got it just because I like the styling, and it was one of my dream cars as a pubescent teenager.

Ya, its not as fast, but its got plenty of juice for how I want to drive. And there are plenty who agree/disagree. I used to own a 93 RX-7 touring (also one of my dream cars), and that thing flew compared to the NSX. Then again, I had the RX-7 heavily streetported, tuned and fully rebuilt, 6 miles to the gallon, etc. But was the 2 year wait and 15k into the engine worth it? In retrospect yes and no. I'm glad I got to push the limits of an engine like I did, but I got tired of being under a hood. I wanted something that I could just enjoy looking at, and drive with less worry. Not to say that the RX-7 is a bad looking car (I still love the way it looks), I just like the "exotic" look of the NSX. I'm going a bit more show, and less go this time around.

The RX-7 was crazy unreliable, even after the rebuild. I owned it for 4 years, drove it for 2. Didn't really feel like I ever "owned" an RX-7. It was like an extended, "rotisserie" rental.

But I digress. I also got an NSX because I've read that its a "reliable" sports car, although to draw a comparison to the finicky rotary engine, anything would be more reliable. To say the NSX is the BEST car I've owned, is not a black and white answer for me. Most exotic, flashy and attention grabbing? YES. Best all around? YES. In summation, For my lifestyle at the moment, the NSX is a better fit. Only time will tell if she warms up to me.

60k miles? This doesn"t really apply to me. My '91 NSX has less than 35k miles. The Cayman is a good quality build. Porsche rates right at the top of quality surveys. But like I said, the fun factor is greater in the NSX.

Last edited:
Wow Boxsters are that cheap now? What year was yours out of curiosity?

Let me pose this question: for a DD and fun spare car, would you rather have a Boxster/Cayman or an s2000 supercharged? I'm looking for another toy right now :)

One good thing about my 07 Boxster, top down motoring is remarkably quiet. I give the S2000 and NSX lower marks for open air motoring. If not for this I'd trade for another NSX. Here in AZ it's top down all the time.

like many, it was my dream car as a youngster and you just can't beat the timeless design...I bought my first one a blk/blk '91 in '03 and drove it for two years before selling it for more then I bought it for:smile: then bought another one a year later, a silver '92 and just like the first one, I sold it two years later for more then i paid for it:biggrin: I think you can see a pattern here....Why put money in a boring savings account, when you can drive one:tongue: The search is under way for #3....

Back