• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why did you buy an NSX?

Over any other car you could have had in the price range, including a MK4 TT Supra, what made you feel as if the NSX was the best choice for you? I'm curious because I'm going back and forth between the NSX and another Supra. Part of me misses the sound of that I6 with a single large turbo strapped to it (Not to mention the feel of the whole car), the other side of me really wants a lightweight, RWD, N/A that I can road race with a little easier.

I guess I've just never even driven an NSX and I'm worried I could be jumping into the wrong boat. Right for some, but not for me?

Last edited:
Do a search. Many nsx owners have and still own both. I had a 94 supra tt rare hardtop 6 spd. Things have changed a lot since then. Nsx now has more turbo options. Be prepared tho for more $ mods compared to supra for going fast. IMO handling and feedback is far superior in nsx.

You really need to drive a NSX. My Supra friends do not get it as the car does not compare power wise. I will have another single Supra, but would not sell the NSX to get one. I find the NSX more fun to drive overall. If you drive the car and do not enjoy the driving position and feel it is not the car for you. Two of my Supra friends have driven the NSX and do not get it at all. They think I bought it because I didn't want to pony up for a good condition Supra. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
My answer will probably sound shallow.

It was the look and the styling. Its a rare car to see. I had seen them in the early 90s at Acura dealers, so I knew about them, just thought I could never afford one.

I had a black NSX picture on my refridgerator for a year. That goal thing. Where I live in the same neighborhood a doctor owned a yellow NSX. When my wife and I were walking down the street, I saw the car in the garage and he was in the yard, and as NSX owners are, I was soon getting a VIP car tour.

Two months later I was driving mine home, the first time riding in one was as an owner. I'm not a car fanatic. My brother owned a 1969 Corvette, he purchased after coming back from Vietnam. I thought that car was the bomb. There's alot to choose from, especially more technologically advanced auto's. However, even taking a step back to 1995 technology, the NSX exceeds my expetations on what I thought the car would be. I have never regretted becoming an owner.

They are not a dime a dozen.

The look is timeless.

Its customization is endless.

As its underpowered in todays standards, if fulfills one of the three things we need in life. That is something to look forward to. I look forward to the day, it gets a HP boost.

The friends I've met that are co-owners has expanded my journey in life, and that will grow in the years to come.

And finally, I look GOOD in it!

In 1994 a long time friend called me from Portland, OR to tell me he just purchased a like new used 1992 Silver NSX w/14K for $42,000. I had seen new NSX's in Acura dealer's showrooms of course. Always all roped off with "do not touch" signs all over them. Any enquiries were met with snooty, uppity, attitudes - tough to get motivated. My reply to my friend was " are you nuts?"

At the time I was driving a new 400E MB & happened to drive by the Acura Dealer in Bellevue, WA. I'd never been in that dealership. They had 3 NSX's sitting out front- 2 black & 1 red. I pulled in and a salesman came out and asked me if I wanted to take one out & if so which one? No pressure let's just get the ball rolling.... (BTW, That same gentleman has been their General Sales Mgr for many yrs now. That was 16 yrs ago).

Took it out for about 1/2 hour. Drove it home later that day as the new owner. Never in my life had I driven anything like it. Not the quickest, but for all around performance & handling nothing could compare. It was a Black one & I called my friend to thank him! He still has his original NSX.

NSXPO's are a great way to meet other owners face to face. Lots of friends made over the years........

Last edited:
I have always loved the NSX and when one of my good friends decided to sell his, he offered it to me for a great price because he knew I would take care of it and he could still drive it once in a while. I couldn't pass up the deal.

I guess I've just never even driven an NSX and I'm worried I could be jumping into the wrong boat. Right for some, but not for me?

Go to a local meet in your area, and talk to some of the local owners. You may even end up with a ride and/or a test drive.

For me as some of above mentioned was the timeless looks and feel of the car.....overall everything was perfect to me about the car.

I compared RX7, Supra TT, and R33 Skyline when I was looking for the car.

None of the cars excited me as the NSX did and now a days with all these turbo and sc options for the car it levels the playing field with the other cars mentioned. Just costs a lot of dough to play with.

Sorry dude you bought the wrong car.....go buy a convertible beemer or mercedes if you want girls.

+1 Japanese cars rarely work on girls, buy a Vette if that is your goal.

I have to add something which may or may not be important to you. As a car enthusiast, you look for fellow enthusiasts who share the same passion. You not only buy a car, but you also buy into the community. The NSX community cannot be beat. By far one of the best I have ever seen or been a part of.

This is really true! Prime is the best list serve for sports cars I've ever been part of. You really feel like part of a family. But is that a reason to buy an NSX?.......

Not really, the reason you buy an NSX is because it is one of the most rare and unique sports cars ever made. It has filled a speacial spot in the sports car spectrum. All aluminum, suspension, monocoque; the interior is so perfectly ergonomicly suited for driving all the while not intruding on your space in the cabin. It is so comfortable, once your in that is, cause they are not the easiest car to get in and out of, the visibility is unparalleled in my experience with many different types although I have not owned a Supra. The Supra is one of the sexiest cars out there and it's plenty powerful - haven't even ridden in one but I thought about owning it. For me though it just looks so amazing, the engine is in the right place and it handles like no other car I've ever owned or driven or ridden in and for me it's plenty fast. If you can drive it to it's potential stock - you are a super driver - then and only then would I consider adding power. It is very compliant in OEM form.

You should try and get a ride in one or drive one if you can, but like others here - the first time I drove one was to test drive the one I bought. Good luck on your decision. Buy one and sell it after a while and then get a Supra. I've had a bunch of different sports cars - I think I'll keep this one for a good long while.

Yup whenever I drive my car.....I get flagged down by guys of all ages.......

This is the perfect car for a girl to own since its such a man magnet. :cool:

You want some cool people to hang out with, you guys need to check out the old aircooled VW scene :tongue:. But really, I just keep bouncing back and forth until I remember I've already got a turbo Mustang that gives me a little more satisfaction than what the Supra gave me. I just have to keep reminding myself I'm in it because I really do want a good, light, small, RWD, NA car and the NSX is perfect for that. Like I said, it's just hard to justify at the moment because I've got no experience with them.

It's good to hear everybodies views though.

Back in 91 or 92 I took the kids to Kermit Weeks' airplane museum at it's old site at Tamiami airport, (before the hurricane blew it away and he built Fantasy of Flight up near Orlando) and Kermit's Formula Red NSX was in his personal parking space. It was the most beautiful car I had ever seen. Still is. So's mine.

I just like the way a mid-engine car drives. I went from an MR2
to a front-engine car and missed the mid-engine handling.
It's not just the measurable aspects of handling (although
they count), it's also the character and feel of response.

The NSX is one of very few cars that I really like the look of.
Also, Midnight Pearl is an unusual and striking factory color.

To me, reliability is the best luxury feature there is.
The NSX was #1 on the J. D. Power list for the model year I bought.

There were many factors for me but the main one was how the NSX drives. The feel you get sitting in it and driving it is like nothing else. I was in automotive retail for the last 4 years and driven a lot of different models. But the NSX has this "different" about it that stands out from the rest. I am all about uniqueness when it comes to cars, so the NSX was an easy choice.

Looked at the car more than the model posing with it at the Miami car show, wanted one ever since;

At this point, it's cheaper than a girlfriend

Last edited:
Supra's are just plane Ugly,, the NSX has better lines, and they get more attention then a Supra, I hate RX-7's but would take one over a supra anyday,,

Yup whenever I drive my car.....I get flagged down by guys of all ages.......

This is the perfect car for a girl to own since its such a man magnet. :cool:

I can confirm that^. A man asked me to marry him in his next life, after seeing me with my '05 Long Beach Blue Pearl NSX at a Colorado rest stop. :biggrin:

I bought my NSX because my dad bought one in 1992 (when he was 66 years old) and I always thought it was the hottest/coolest looking vehicle I'd ever seen. I still do. I never planned on buying one but in 2009 the stars aligned just right for me. I had the money, was in the market for a new blue sports car and a friend steered me to the link on Prime for a low mileage blue NSX. I realized that there wasn't any reason I shouldn't buy it, so I did. It's perfect to me. ... Oh, and a big part of the reason I even considered it is because it's a Honda. I'm a Honda girl.

Last edited:
Back