• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Why is my NSX not selling?

On '05 values for example: American Honda Finance takes back any leased '05 for residual payoff if the dealer who takes the vehicle in at lease termination does not purchase it......they will not negotiate that pay-off price with the original lease holder if he/she wants to purchase the car or the dealer either for that matter.... period!

They are confident that the '05 NSX (or any NSX that is leased) is worth more than the payoff which is usually in the low 60's and then away it goes to a dealer auction. If the car has mileage beyond the original agreement or any damage, the owner has to cover those expenses anyway.

At $65K you are well below what many recent purchasers have paid for pre-owned '05 NSX's. The higher mileage has a bearing but not $5-10K if the car is clean. You own the best of the last!

"$65k you are well below what many recent purchasers have paid for pre-owned '05 NSX'" I am afraid I must strongly disagree with you. As most here will agree to, and Manheim and Red Rock will show out...even now, sports cars starting to sell again (spring has sprung)...I am unaware of ANYONE paying even CLOSE to $65k for a 2005, at least in past 12 months. 1-2 sure... however, vast majority of the 200-300 cars made/sold for 2002 - 2005, most ALL the other were at or below $60k.

Of course I WISH this was not true...but it is...nails me evertime as well too.
Good luck
Sam

unless you happen to chance upon a hardcore enthusiast (aka prime member) that wants your exact car... you will not be able to recover the premium of an 05 over an 02.

Ok, I am going to go ahead and call BS on this thought. With a car that is out of production the 05s will ALWAYS (given near apples to apples) have a premium (recoverable) over an 02. I had the option to buy the same car 05 vs 02 for $12k less and went with the 05 knowing that if I sell in 1, 5, or 10 years the premium WILL still be there.

Go over on RennList and look at some of the adds/thoughts for 97/98 993s vs earlier and later production 911s.......

I am unaware of ANYONE paying even CLOSE to $65k for a 2005, at least in past 12 months.
Good luck
Sam

Sam, lay off the crack pipe, my friend. You are spewing some major BS.

Greetings

I agree that it will sell for that price. The color is not my cup of tea, but someone somewhere is looking for 1 like yours. The thread had a comment about buying a 355 -- you can get a 95 355 for $65K and it will be a money pit. All cars loss value as you own them -- especially Ferrari's. Any car that doesn't is so rare that only a handful of people can afford to purchase it.

Cheers,
Martin

Reza there 3 groups of people. Sellers that own very clean cars (like many NSX owners here) and know what their car is worth. There are buyers that also know what those cars are worth, spend a year or two searching, and when they come across a clean one in the color they want, they buy it.

Then there is the third group. The bargain hunters. The guys that think they have a better handle on things than everyone else.

No one here knows the history or condition of your car, no one has seen any pictures.... No one has test driven it and no one knows how many owners its had or how its maintenance has been. How is it that they know that your car is 10K too high?!!! :rolleyes:

Its easy to be a keyboard jockey. What some junk NSX went through a car auction for or what a used car dealer sold one for after his son "test drove" it for 3 months, is not necessarily going to apply to your car.

There are around SIX cars in the U.S. with that color combo in that year. Maybe one is for sale. Do you understand that? How much choice do you think I have if I am looking for a yellow/yellow 2005 6-speed NSX?

Your ad with no description, photos, or details on a somewhat unknown website like NSXprime isn't necessarily going to help you find that buyer. Believe it or not many NSX owners never visit this site.

Ok, I am going to go ahead and call BS on this thought. With a car that is out of production the 05s will ALWAYS (given near apples to apples) have a premium (recoverable) over an 02. I had the option to buy the same car 05 vs 02 for $12k less and went with the 05 knowing that if I sell in 1, 5, or 10 years the premium WILL still be there.

Go over on RennList and look at some of the adds/thoughts for 97/98 993s vs earlier and later production 911s.......

it is called differing opinions my friend :). you and i do not have to agree on this. what may be BS to you... rings true to me. you (and others) may be willing to pay a premium for an 05 over an 02... myself (and many others) are not.

it is really simple... at the end of the day... the value of the car are based on what people are willing to pay. we can sit here and argue all day... but in the end... what the car sells for is the value.

LOL> this seller is making some fun here.
first, it's something cost 64900. how many potential buyers do u think u will have?

second, it's not a 1000 dollar 1993 toyota camry. u will get at least 15 phone calls a day if u post it on autotrader.

Reza there 3 groups of people. Sellers that own very clean cars (like many NSX owners here) and know what their car is worth. There are buyers that also know what those cars are worth, spend a year or two searching, and when they come across a clean one in the color they want, they buy it.

Then there is the third group. The bargain hunters. The guys that think they have a better handle on things than everyone else.

No one here knows the history or condition of your car, no one has seen any pictures.... No one has test driven it and no one knows how many owners its had or how its maintenance has been. How is it that they know that your car is 10K too high?!!! :rolleyes:

Its easy to be a keyboard jockey. What some junk NSX went through a car auction for or what a used car dealer sold one for after his son "test drove" it for 3 months, is not necessarily going to apply to your car.

There are around SIX cars in the U.S. with that color combo in that year. Maybe one is for sale. Do you understand that? How much choice do you think I have if I am looking for a yellow/yellow 2005 6-speed NSX?

Your ad with no description, photos, or details on a somewhat unknown website like NSXprime isn't necessarily going to help you find that buyer. Believe it or not many NSX owners never visit this site.

agree. no photo, no description. no detail.
but yellow nsx is a beatuiful choice.

And another day go's by with his car unsold, and I still know of no one who paid that kind of $$ for a 2005, other that possibly, a total newbie at a dealership with one on the floor...but I still say no one here did..no 2nd NSX buyer, no one who knows how these things drop, steady, and eventually sell.

It's crack spewage if it is wrong... however, it is still available and no one stepping up to say that I am wrong ,,,that they personally paid $65k plus for a 2005 car within the past 6 months or so. (must be quoting with facts, not just feelings based upon their experience with 1 car or so)....

So, I stick by what I say...but will happily be proven wrong (makes more money for me too).. but I won't be. The car won;t be sold at this price or within $5+ grand....

I WANT our friend here to sell his car, for as much money as possible. I am NOT a hater, just have tons more experience with this model car, and this potential client pool than most other casual viewers, typical single car owner... that is neither good nor bad, not pretentious, nothing but accurate. Nothing becomes true (or untrue) just because we want it to be, that we need it to be... it is, as they say, what it is.; and for now, it IS priced too high.

Prime & Ebay often "sets the market" (Ebay - completed auctions is a true friend to the NSX seller) , so the longer we speak about this guy's car, will keep it on the more days, thus, he will have lower & fewer offers, etc... which would prove out what I am projecting.... thus, I won't comment any more on this..as this conversation will be attached to his very FOR SALE car indefinitely.... lets not hurt him unintentionally with this stretching thread... I was simply answering his question of, " Why is my NSX not selling".... my reply was not crack... it will prove out to be right... the rest is just noise.

For the record, longest i have held an NSX for sale is less than 2 weeks...and most sold here and/or ebay... the only thing that changed the amount of time I held it was of course, price! Even a terrible condition car (not one of mine....!) will all eventually sell... in a single day....if it is in front of the right buyers base, and most importantly, at the RIGHT PRICE.... all the other things (ads, options, condition, service needed, etc) just help determine how much more than 50% the price load will drag on any car...but it is ALWAYS "price @ 50% or greater ALex"

Just my .02, I wish him well.... post it everywhere though.....not just here...that is for sure
Sam

Last edited:
It's crack spewage if it is wrong... however, it is still available and no one stepping up to say that I am wrong ,,,that they personally paid $65k plus for a 2005 car within the past 6 months or so.

Sam,

You must not be in tune with the market. I have been tracking it closely for the past 6 months and know for a fact (I think there are threads out there as well if people don't want to speak up) that there are at least 10 more people than me (me included) that paid more (sometimes much more) than $65k for thier 2005 NSX. I have personally spoke with many of them in my search for my car.

So, yes, its crack spewage! :biggrin:

You own the best of the last!

+1

"$65k you are well below what many recent purchasers have paid for pre-owned '05 NSX'" I am afraid I must strongly disagree with you. As most here will agree to, and Manheim and Red Rock will show out...even now, sports cars starting to sell again (spring has sprung)...I am unaware of ANYONE paying even CLOSE to $65k for a 2005, at least in past 12 months. 1-2 sure... however, vast majority of the 200-300 cars made/sold for 2002 - 2005, most ALL the other were at or below $60k.

Good luck
Sam

Hey Sam if I know of one then there must be more as the market in my state for these cars is small. I know of a LBBP/Blue auto that went for $6k more than that. Most people start looking early spring for summer car/sports cars and in those months the cars go for a premium.

Damn hate to agree with Dave but this is what categories it breaks into.

In todays economy.. 65k spare cash just lying around aint easy to come by...... The people who have that kinda money lying around already have an nsx...

layoff sam he has a good point.. otherwise reza's car would've sold already... Notice the cars on autotrader that are going for 65k have been there for a while? Because no one is buying them...... (with the exception of the people who recently bought on this forum eg osugrad, supra2nv, s4play)....

It's crack spewage if it is wrong... however, it is still available and no one stepping up to say that I am wrong ,,,that they personally paid $65k plus for a 2005 car within the past 6 months or so. (must be quoting with facts, not just feelings based upon their experience with 1 car or so)....

I guess I'll step up and say "I DID" an '05 Red/Camel with 2900 miles. PERFECT - $74,985.

Sorry to burst your bubble, however, for me it was all about the mileage. I wouldn't have bought an '05 with 34,000 unless it was well under $60K. With that being said I consider a $90K car that you can't get anymore with 2900 miles a steal even at $75K.

The bottom line, if your not sure about keeping your car, don't rack up the miles if you want top dollar.

Last edited:
OK, for what it is worth....I recently joined the NSX community via the Kid's 2005 for sale thread :tongue: . I would like to think I had a pretty good handle on the market for latter model NSX's as of just a few weeks ago. I may not be up to snuff as much on the market forces as the Kid, Supra2NV, OSUGrad, ect.....but getting a 2005 for <65k :confused: ----> no way. Only way I see a 2005 going for <65k would be a lot higher mileage car >>30k, and even then 61-63k 'ish.

The people who have that kinda money lying around already have an nsx....

Not precisely.

Does anyone else find it strange that all those favoring the lower price usually have fewer posts than the rest and more recent join-dates?

Can all the posters here post what year car they have, when they bought it and if they are in the market for a new 02+?

It sounds like some buyers are trying to influence the market by flooding the board with what they feel would be a fair price.

Although the economy will affect some car values, we are talking about a very exclusive market here (e.g. rare collector's item that has ceased production; cannot purchase new; niche following; 60k+ segment). There may be fewer buyers, but those that are in the market are not going to be affected by any great deal by a 10K price difference. Those who stay in the NSX market despite the poor economy will pay more for a prisitne example compared to less for a lesser example.

Sam has a good point that if you dropped the car by 10k, you may sell it quicker, but I feel you are pandering to a very select few in terms of buyers.

However, the OP has himself stated that he is in no hurry to sell and will wait for the true value of the car.

I think we are confused as to what we are arguing about. We are are both arguing about different things: sam about a myopic price evaluation and the rest evaluating what the car can fetch if the OP waits.

The OP will wait, according to him, so the myopic considerations don't apply here.

If I had some rare baseball card during the Great Depression, I am sure many buyers would back out and I'd have a harder time selling it. However, those buyers still in the market will probably still pay top dollar to obtain that card despite the economic slump. What matters is if I am in a hurry to sell. If I am, I have to lower the price and sacrifice the true value of the card. If I am not in a hurry, then I can wait it out and obtain true value. In other words, myopic market value does not apply to the OP's situation.

Last edited:
I sure wish the OP had his car here in Dubai it would sell today! I was offered $48K U.S. for my +02 conversion 1991 Berlina Black NSX...I actually declined it! There are tons of people in Dubai that want an NSX but are afraid to bring one over...regardless...he's still trying to sell in the U.S.

I'm no expert here but I am closely monitoring the NSX market as I'm looking for my second one (Imola Orange) but there is no way this Yellow/Yellow is overpriced even with its mileage. Those of us that think they can get it cheaper, perhaps alot cheaper (5k less) are bargain hunters. Good for you if you can find someone who's willing to drop their pants...might be easy in this U.S. market presently but I'm willing to bet someone comes along and gives him his asking prices due to the rarity of the color combination or someone who loves it.

If he adds photos, some description that envokes emotion, or response then the car will sell. Period. The way its advertised allows someone to browse over the ad...I did!

Not precisely.

Does anyone else find it strange that all those favoring the lower price usually have fewer posts than the rest and more recent join-dates?

Can all the posters here post what year car they have, when they bought it and if they are in the market for a new 02+?

It sounds like some buyers are trying to influence the market by flooding the board with what they feel would be a fair price.

i'm sorry to say... that is a rather lame claim. why is it so hard for some of you to just get that it is OK for people to have different opinions? we don't all have to agree with YOUR valuation.

to answer your question... i bought a 91 back in july of 2007... and due to an unfortunate circumstance i had to sell it soon after (to a prime member) in november 2007. i am not in the market for any year nsx at this time.

instead of making some silly blanket statement to undermine the opposing point of view perhaps you should try to understand it. you dont have to agree with it... but understanding it helps.

I have been watching the yellow 05 market pretty closely the past year and this is a fair price, period :p. I have seen both under and over for '05s sell. From 63-69k. Just get on autotrader and be patient, you'll get the price you want if you're persistent.

How much choice do you think I have if I am looking for a yellow/yellow 2005 6-speed NSX?

I'm no expert here but I am closely monitoring the NSX market as I'm looking for my second one (Imola Orange) but there is no way this Yellow/Yellow is overpriced even with its mileage.

It's a yellow/black--another good reason to post photos other than evoking emotion ;-)

........I am unaware of ANYONE paying even CLOSE to $65k for a 2005, at least in past 12 months. 1-2 sure... however, vast majority of the 200-300 cars made/sold for 2002 - 2005, most ALL the other were at or below $60k.

Good luck
Sam

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2005/acura/nsx/100443658/options.html

65K is retail but I know of a few ppl on this board who I wont name, who have purchased an 05 for 70K+... For a 2005 that has less than 10K miles on it and in MINT condition, I say hell yea its worth it. You know exactly what you're getting into at that level.

You're obviously not a regular member here. I'd start reading a bit more and learn about the resale values of these cars before spouting out nonsense. :)

i'm sorry to say... that is a rather lame claim. why is it so hard for some of you to just get that it is OK for people to have different opinions? we don't all have to agree with YOUR valuation.

to answer your question... i bought a 91 back in july of 2007... and due to an unfortunate circumstance i had to sell it soon after (to a prime member) in november 2007. i am not in the market for any year nsx at this time.

instead of making some silly blanket statement to undermine the opposing point of view perhaps you should try to understand it. you dont have to agree with it... but understanding it helps.

Maybe you should try reading the rest of my post, champ.

And it's funny that you would make that rejoinder considering you only have 31 posts and are a bargain NSX hunter.

No one said you had to agree with our valuation. Who cares what you feel someone else's car is worth. I can look at a Ferrari Enzo, and tell people all day long it's only worth $50.00. You think anyone is going to listen to me or care what I say? Not the owner, not anyone else.

Back