• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

why lower a nsx

a ricer is any driver driving a japanese/asian car that is modified/customized.

if you modified or customized it in any way different from when it left factory floor. you're deemed a ricer for life.
but not aways true. you could drive off the dealer lot with a WRX, EVO, or a even NEON and you're automatically a ricer. but in the NEON's case, youre a riceroni.

heres a ricer cannon.
gardener.jpg

What is a ricer?

Based on what I see in my area:

1. It needs a fart pipe. Large coffee can sized exhaust tip that produces a low pitched sound.
Sounds like its going 100mph at 20 mph.

2. Lowered susp., very very low. You see them bouncing down the fwy at
65 mph. More or less rocking back and forth front to rear at a rapid rate.

3. Custom bodywork. Large wings, air dam's, skirts etc. Bodywork need
not match color of the rest of the car.

4. Stereo. Its got to be loud. With Super bass.

5. Huge wheels with thin bands for tires.

6. Willing to floor it at any time for no reason.
Makes you look up expecting to see something going fast.
Kinda like a Harley going under an overpass.

These are the basics, the more or less minimum requirements.

As a side note. 5% of these cars are actually very fast.
Sometimes they can be spotted by the full roll cage and single seat & stripped interior.

These are just my observations. Your mileage may very.

well also some people would consider doing any non-performance mod as ricing =)

so neat things like carbon fibre fuse covers and powder coated valve covers and CF wings count too... haha what ever, i'm a ricer =) but i'm a fried-ricer :biggrin:

I am a mild ricer myself. You could see I have painted valve covers and fire wall. I have modified the front bumper to fit HID lamps. :biggrin:

I think ricer originate from Asian (myself counted). They are the people who eat rice as part of their main meal. The word ricer was absorb in the car world probably from Japan. The car is modded with a lot of aftermarket parts and make them appear to look fast but actually not. A must for ricer is to have a dummy ventilated brake disc over horse shoe brake? Latest addition would probably be the Brembo caliper cover.

Thank you for the posts. I had a good time and learned a new word today. It was mentioned that the car has to be an Asian/Japanese cars (They are the people who eat rice as part of their main meal). How about cars from Europe or American cars, if they are customized, do they have a name too? Just and inquiring mind.

RenGen said:
Thank you for the posts. I had a good time and learned a new word today. It was mentioned that the car has to be an Asian/Japanese cars (They are the people who eat rice as part of their main meal). How about cars from Europe or American cars, if they are customized, do they have a name too? Just and inquiring mind.

well we like to call the american riced cars, Domestic Rice :biggrin:

RenGen said:
How about cars from Europe or American cars, if they are customized, do they have a name too?
Italian cars - pastamobiles.

German cars - spaetzle cars.

MCM said:
If they stick out, then they're "low riders". Beans and rice. :D

Cmon Ken,italian rice is "rissoto"!

Well I guess i have fallen into a 5 out of 6 categories here.---A PROUD RICER!!! :wink:

MCM said:
What is a ricer?.

Based on what I see in my area:

1. It needs a fart pipe. Large coffee can sized exhaust tip that produces a low pitched sound. Sounds like its going 100mph at 20 mph.
--------RM Exhaust, Comptech Header, RM Intake and that air intake scoop thing

2. Lowered susp., very very low. You see them bouncing down the fwy at
65 mph. More or less rocking back and forth front to rear at a rapid rate.
-----------My signature explains itself.

3. Custom bodywork. Large wings, air dam's, skirts etc. Bodywork need
not match color of the rest of the car.
----MH side, and contrell GT Bumper and hood

4. Stereo. Its got to be loud. With Super bass.
-----DA "tool box" and boston acoustic to rock china!!!

----18/19

6. Willing to floor it at any time for no reason.
Makes you look up expecting to see something going fast.
Kinda like a Harley going under an overpass.
-----Not anytime :biggrin:

DSC00021.JPG

nsxscool said:
"why would you lower an nsx ?"
It looks so amazingly retarded without lowering IMHO. NSX is a sports car not 4x4.

Moderate lowering is perfectly fine for daily driving. There is still more than enough clearance. As long as you are not going insanely low, a proper re-alignment will bring it back to factory spec or near factory spec.

nsxscool said:
Been looking at some nsx's for sale recently and was wondering"why would you lower an nsx ?" when I do buy a car should I stay away from any cars that have been lowered? I know a little about possible camber problems with other cars and wondering why it would be worth it on an nsx ?or related problems from any members that have bought a lowered nsx or have personally done so.

People lower there cars because it looks cool. I must admit I do like the look. However from a purely practical standpoint, I would argue that if you are only going to use it on the track lower it. If you are going to use it as a road car leave it alone. And if you are going to race it on the street (not that I would condone or recommend such a thing) then jack it up an inch or so. Why? Because if you don’t then on an average piece of street especially every time you go over a junction and even on a freeway at racing speeds it will bottom out and send sparks everywhere which is not good for handling. That’s why rally tarmac racers are usually a little higher than stock.

Regards,

Patrick

Here when people refer to low car its not measure by the roof height but rather ground clearence. Even a 4x4 will be a low car if the ground clearance is zero.

Thanks to them our roads are clean and speed bumps are lowered being sanded by them.

nsxsupra said:
It looks so amazingly retarded without lowering IMHO.
I disagree. I think it looks so amazingly LOW without lowering. Here's a car that's only 46 inches high bone stock, that has only about 4 3/4" ground clearance bone stock. That's low! Most hydraulic jacks won't even fit under the car. And that's without lowering.

As for "retarded", I don't think it's appropriate to use that word. If you ever knew any mentally handicapped people - it's obvious you don't - you would be more sensitive to its use as a slur. As for your point, looks are strictly a matter of personal preference. I happen to think that drastically lowered NSXs look amazingly silly, but that's my opinion and yours may differ.

nsxsupra said:
Moderate lowering is perfectly fine for daily driving. There is still more than enough clearance.
No, there isn't. You can expect to scrape the front air dam going in and out of most public parking garages. Heck, this happens often enough even at the stock ride height; when you lower it, it's much worse.

If you want to lower your car, lower it (either with aftermarket springs, or with the lowering perch if you're using Bilstein shocks). Just save the stock parts, so that you can raise it back up if you don't like the looks or you find that you're scraping a whole lot more.

Back